Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sheriff of Nottingham» Forums » General

Subject: Sheriff of Nottingham: Merry Men Expansion Announced! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right in the middle of The Dice Tower's Wednesday Afternoon GAMA Videocast, this shocking nugget. A new Sheriff of Nottingham expansion. And it looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSy-FD9far0

At the 1hr 39 minute mark.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my group doesn't have any trouble trying to smuggle in contraband, but I'll buy this. I love modular expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything to avoid that people not lying win at the end is welcome.

I always feel like it is broken when it happens.

robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
Anything to avoid that people not lying win at the end is welcome.

I always feel like it is broken when it happens.

robot


In my experience, it takes a good bit of luck to win without lying. You have to get big sets of cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Entrecruzado wrote:
Anything to avoid that people not lying win at the end is welcome.

I always feel like it is broken when it happens.

robot


In my experience, it takes a good bit of luck to win without lying. You have to get big sets of cards.


Or you are good at looking guilty, thus making people think you are lying when you aren't, opening your bag and having to pay you for being wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wood
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super excited for it for the 6th player board if nothing else, but the other modules sounded really cool too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adds too much complication to what should be a simple game. Not interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Alex wrote:
Adds too much complication to what should be a simple game. Not interested.


Well, maybe that´s why it is delivered as modules.

robot
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
Sir_Alex wrote:
Adds too much complication to what should be a simple game. Not interested.


Well, maybe that´s why it is delivered as modules.

robot


I fail to see the relevance of your comment.

Modules or not, additional rules detract from what is already a game that is too complex for the experience it offers. In fact, when we play we skip the Market Phase entirely, just draw cards, and get to the fun stuff of trying to bluff the sheriff. Adding even one "module" is another set of rules you have to teach. I can see this working for people who have played this game to death, but I'm not interested in buying an expansion that is supposed to "fix" the game by making it more beneficial to lie. That should have already been done in the base game. Since I already have a solution to this problem and don't need any extra rules to explain, I'll be passing on this one.

Is that any clearer? robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Alex wrote:
Entrecruzado wrote:
Sir_Alex wrote:
Adds too much complication to what should be a simple game. Not interested.


Well, maybe that´s why it is delivered as modules.

robot


I fail to see the relevance of your comment.

Modules or not, additional rules detract from what is already a game that is too complex for the experience it offers. In fact, when we play we skip the Market Phase entirely, just draw cards, and get to the fun stuff of trying to bluff the sheriff. Adding even one "module" is another set of rules you have to teach. I can see this working for people who have played this game to death, but I'm not interested in buying an expansion that is supposed to "fix" the game by making it more beneficial to lie. That should have already been done in the base game. Since I already have a solution to this problem and don't need any extra rules to explain, I'll be passing on this one.

Is that any clearer? robot


Very. Well, I guess I'm irrelevant.

robot
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hoang
msg tools
I like the 6 player module. Very relevant
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the addition of a 6th player...I like the black market and I'm intrigued by the Merry Men.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiloh Christie
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome modules. Great addition. Can't wait whoo-hoo!!! :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tight I want more details on release!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Alex wrote:
Entrecruzado wrote:
Sir_Alex wrote:
Adds too much complication to what should be a simple game. Not interested.


Well, maybe that´s why it is delivered as modules.

robot


I fail to see the relevance of your comment.

Modules or not, additional rules detract from what is already a game that is too complex for the experience it offers. In fact, when we play we skip the Market Phase entirely, just draw cards, and get to the fun stuff of trying to bluff the sheriff. Adding even one "module" is another set of rules you have to teach. I can see this working for people who have played this game to death, but I'm not interested in buying an expansion that is supposed to "fix" the game by making it more beneficial to lie. That should have already been done in the base game. Since I already have a solution to this problem and don't need any extra rules to explain, I'll be passing on this one.

Is that any clearer? robot


This is rude. The relevance of the comment was exceptionally clear. Due to the modular nature of the expansion you have full control to throttle how much "complexity" you choose to incorporate into your game.

Your comment on the other hand was irrelevant. Why bother entering a thread about an expansion just to proudly announce to everyone that you are going to pass?

Then when someone directly attempts to address your complaint about the game, they are dismissed.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
^^^This ^^^
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoN is a complex game?

Ok then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Don't have time to watch that full video yet - but anything that makes smuggling in goods a winning strategy is welcome by me. I play this with my family and so far the person who wins EVERY SINGLE TIME is the person who doesn't try to smuggle in illegal goods, or only does so maybe once (and wins by enough that that one time wasn't even worth the reward).

I'll give it a full watch - and I really hope they've made it so that smuggling in illegal goods really boosts your score and makes it worth actually trying to do.


Group think. Need to break the cycle. We just played this Saturday. My daughter usually tries strategy of never smuggling anything. She's won occasionally but I beat her pretty thoroughly this weekend by about 30 points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These modules are awesome! I still enjoy the base game very much so but these really add a lot of great things to an already great game! Can't wait!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Don't have time to watch that full video yet - but anything that makes smuggling in goods a winning strategy is welcome by me. I play this with my family and so far the person who wins EVERY SINGLE TIME is the person who doesn't try to smuggle in illegal goods, or only does so maybe once (and wins by enough that that one time wasn't even worth the reward).

I'll give it a full watch - and I really hope they've made it so that smuggling in illegal goods really boosts your score and makes it worth actually trying to do.


This. I have a relative that always wins without smuggling. I expect these modules end with this lame strategy.

robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry Men looks like the only one worth adding. Doesn't complicate things and adds contraband to the deck which helps liars and reduces the ratio of honest goods which hurts honest players. A simple deck of 20 or so contraband cards is all I really wanted but this will do. I might dust the game off again with this expansion. Too many honest goods (and too much of a reward for them) was keeping this collecting dust...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett F
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
SoN is a complex game?

Ok then.


It's the most complicated 1.67/5 game there is!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualAlex wrote:

This is rude. The relevance of the comment was exceptionally clear. Due to the modular nature of the expansion you have full control to throttle how much "complexity" you choose to incorporate into your game.

Your comment on the other hand was irrelevant. Why bother entering a thread about an expansion just to proudly announce to everyone that you are going to pass?

Then when someone directly attempts to address your complaint about the game, they are dismissed.


Agreed. My apologies. The intention wasn't to be rude. I wanted to point out a concern that I thought others might share. I did so poorly. Sorry,
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir_Alex wrote:
VirtualAlex wrote:

This is rude. The relevance of the comment was exceptionally clear. Due to the modular nature of the expansion you have full control to throttle how much "complexity" you choose to incorporate into your game.

Your comment on the other hand was irrelevant. Why bother entering a thread about an expansion just to proudly announce to everyone that you are going to pass?

Then when someone directly attempts to address your complaint about the game, they are dismissed.


Agreed. My apologies. The intention wasn't to be rude. I wanted to point out a concern that I thought others might share. I did so poorly. Sorry,
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.


Cool man. It´s always positive to share our opinions, we are a community.

robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.