Popular Tags: [View All]
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would love to hear some recommendations for some fun games that will be super easy to teach to my grandparents. The only game that I have played with them so far is Smart A**. I want to play other games with them that aren't trivia games. I bought Herbaceaous (my grandma loves gardening) and I think they will love it. Any other ideas of games that are fun to play and easy to teach?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Do they have memory issues or other issues that you are considering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
Any other ideas of games that are fun to play and easy to teach?
Thank you!

I really enjoy 6 nimmt! and I think it will go down really well with players who have played trick-taking games (which your grandparents might be if they're receptive to games in general?), even though it is not actually a trick-taking game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!
Bananagrams
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Dad
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido
My 7-year-old daughter and 60-year-old mother join us when we play Tokaido. Here's what I wrote about it on BGG:
"First, this game is gorgeous. Second, we have (too) many non-gamer friends and relatives, so Tokaido comes out often as a gateway game."

"There's strategy -- deciding how to maximize your total movements -- and tactics -- deciding how to make up for ruined plans."

"Yes, this game can be played as a simple hop-and-collect journey, but we find it becomes a cutthroat experience where you hate-block your opponents at every move, or try and quickly gather up a certain resource -- card, item, visit, etc. -- before your opponents."

"I don't always wish to play Tokaido, if only for the fact that we play it every time someone new visits, but at the end I think to myself, 'Why doesn't this hit the table more often?'"

-----

Paperback

While my wife and I put supper away, my daughter (7, as mentioned above) taught my mother (60) this in about five minutes. It's a clever way to introduce deck-building because most people enjoy word games.

Pitch it to them like this: You use letters to make words. These words are worth points. Use these points to buy better letters to make words worth more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Bigelow
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother is really enjoying Cubist. She's in her mid-70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if they enjoy trivia type games, Codenames might not be too much of a stretch.

I find Ingenious works well for people whose gaming context is mostly abstracts and card games (also it is easy to see if they have any vision problems), but I think it's getting remade as something else whose name escapes me. Blokus fits that mold as well.

Qwirkle seems plausible as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If your grandparents have made it this far in life without becoming gamers, it might not be the right hobby for them? Are there any traditional card games they enjoy? If they're really interested in learning modern deisgner games, maybe start with a multiplayer abstracts like Ingenious or Blokus? They're relatively rules-light, which is usually friendly for new gamers. You could also try a simple card game like Love Letter. Or if you want to try something heavier, co-ops like Forbidden Island can let them "lean on" you if the rules are confusing, and they can even let you "quarterback" for them if that's something that y'all are comfortable with.

EDIT: ninja'd by Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork is simple ama elegant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been teaching my in-laws Port Royal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MichelleOH wrote:
Do they have memory issues or other issues that you are considering?

No, they don't have any memory issues. When playing Smart A**, they did pretty good. I would have to remind them whose turn it was or little things like that but other than that it went great! They loved playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Indigo is tile-laying, path-making, gem-moving, temporary-alliance-making fun with an extremely simple ruleset and gorgeous board that looks embroidered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play lots of games with my grandparents, and these have been the biggest hits:

Alhambra (although I avoid expansions with them)
Ticket to Ride (again, US map, none of the ones with more little stuff going on)
I Go!
Zooloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christine wavle
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Patchwork, Diamonds, and Ingenious have worked really well with my mom. She likes Ticket to Ride but says she never quite feels like she knows what she is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
Butterfly Garden (also by Steve Finn)
Cosmic Run (Steve Finn)
Onitama
Onami
Haru Ichiban
Martial Art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 64 years old and it's my grandsons who scarcely know anything non-electronic but Monopoly. I'd have to teach them anything more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra fun build your own city game
Stone Age roll dice, produce resources, and feed your people. Great intro to worker placement.
Chicago Express train game building railways from the east coast to Chicago. Invest in shares of the companies to try to make the most money. Plays in under an hour. $15 on Amazon currently!
Pickomino Dice and dominoes game with some push your luck element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Diamant
Sheriff of Nottingham
Patchwork
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
No Thanks
Dixit
The Resistance
Love Letter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clinch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do avoid Resistance. We had an issue with our (super competitive) granny and this game. After she reduced a 7 year old to tears by repeatedly shouting liar at him, we decided to give the game a rest.

Incidentally we've found Sheriff of Nottingham to be very good therapy for her, as no one bothers lying when she's sheriff and it's very satisfying for everyone else as she rips open those wallets.

At the other extreme, Granddad can't listen to a rules explanation that takes longer than 10 secs.

I think grandparents come in many varieties and your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
If your grandmother likes gardening, maybe try Takenoko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanasai Glissando
msg tools
mbmbmb
My mom's in her 80's, and she loves Guillotine. Some of the print is tiny, so her little reading magnifier is a must, but it is super simple to learn. Anyone I've played with, we've had very close scoring games where everyone could have a chance at winning right up until the very end too, which keeps it exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Qwirkle, mentioned above.

Coloretto might work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” ― George Iles
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Qwirkle as well as Ingenious and also recommend The Game. They are some of my mother's favorite games. I've also been on the lookout for easy to teach games and during my search, these came up: Blokus, Tantrix, Take it Easy!, Cribbage and Quoridor. I'm thinking of buying these games sometime in the future for my mom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.