Subject: A good introductory book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy today, and spent a few hours playing through the books by myself. I won once.

And all I could think was, this game is going to be a really hard sell to my gaming groups, who are more used to the much-easier-to-win team-building mechanics of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

The game I won was the sixth -- you can look up the book yourself, I'm lazy -- but somehow, I'm thinking how close you'll come to beating a session depends not just on the book, but on your team composition. That said, what book would you all suggest for trying to sell a gaming group on the worthiness of DFCO?

I mean, I lost my first game and immediately went, "That was fun! And short! I gotta do this again!" but I'm not so sure the folks I play with will be as understanding or enthusiastic when they're looking down their fifth inconceivably close loss in a row...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Have faith. I've seen this game hook many a reluctant player before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only played through up to Death Masks, and I found that while Summer Knight and Dead Masks are the most complicated, and therefore might turn new players off, Grave Peril is the easiest of them all so it might be a good starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
So far I have only played through up to Death Masks, and I found that while Summer Knight and Dead Masks are the most complicated, and therefore might turn new players off, Grave Peril is the easiest of them all so it might be a good starting point.

I hope you don't mean easiest by difficulty. The designer said he intentionally made that one harder to match the outcome of the book! I think I beat it after five tries.

I would suggest starting with Storm Front if you want simplest to grok. For difficulty, I found Summer Knight and Fool Moon easiest so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
kittenhoarder wrote:
montanus wrote:

I hope you don't mean easiest by difficulty. The designer said he intentionally made that one harder to match the outcome of the book! I think I beat it after five tries.

I would suggest starting with Storm Front if you want simplest to grok. For difficulty, I found Summer Knight and Fool Moon easiest so far.

It's been rough going on solo. But two players our win percentage is pretty high. I actually think we're six for six. However honestly sentinels can be really tough as well. They should like this if they like sentinels. Iron legacy still makes me weep with a team of five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
montanus wrote:

Indeed I meant easiest by difficulty. I beat it the first time around on the first try, even before the Showdown, and the second time around during the showdown (which means my success rate so far in that book is 100%). Keep in mind, though, that I was playing solitaire, which is slighlty different, and the initial setup can have huge effects on how a game goes.

On the other hand, it took me 8 or 9 tries to beat Summer Knight the first time around, so I would hardly classify it as one of the easiest, as you do.

Perhaps the conclusion might be that things vary greatly from game to game and player to player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we don't play Iron Legacy much. :V (Of course, when we do, we tend to win, but...)

My only concern starting with Storm Front is the frog monster. I mean, it can just be a very dead card the whole game if you don't have the right combination of things in play. And that's no fun. (Then again, I have yet to figure out any real strategy on my own, so...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking what cards you DONT go after is an important aspect of strategy in this game. Kalshazak Toad Demon Foe in the first book is there to help players figure that out. Storm Front is meant to be played first, partly because it's marginally easier, but also because I designed it to help people people pick up the range of strategies to help you analyze and win new scenarios. Similarly, the Three Eye Drug War is there to get players thinking about whether it is always best to concentrate on getting rid of all the obstacles up front. Also, don't forget the advantage that lets you move the toad demon foe out of your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually a good point. There's a couple card interactions, but not too many, so it's at least easy to understand. Well, we'll see what happens come Saturday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erichv wrote:
Picking what cards you DONT go after is an important aspect of strategy in this game. Kalshazak Toad Demon Foe in the first book is there to help players figure that out. Storm Front is meant to be played first, partly because it's marginally easier, but also because I designed it to help people people pick up the range of strategies to help you analyze and win new scenarios. Similarly, the Three Eye Drug War is there to get players thinking about whether it is always best to concentrate on getting rid of all the obstacles up front. Also, don't forget the advantage that lets you move the toad demon foe out of your way.

This is how I found that scenario too, so mission accomplished! The drug war that makes all die rolls have a 2/3 chance of being "-" is handy for cards that have a variable Fate cost. Especially when playing solo, you will see that it's not about solving everything and killing everything. Pick your battles wisely. All you need is for there to be fewer enemies alive on the board than solved cases. Kind of a "you don't need to be the fastest sprinter to outrun the bear, you just need to be faster than your friend" situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.