Subject: Fate and Showdown clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, can you have too much fate? If Harry needs to discard on turn one of Apprentice mode to move an Obstacle, do you get extra Fate, or is it "There are 13 tokens, 13 is the most you can have"? (Note the two times I tried playing with 'extra' fate, it didn't help in the long run. )

Secondly, do card restriction rules still apply in the Showdown? I mean, if you haven't found out who the Shadowman is, can you put hits on the Frog Demon? What about Count Ortega: if you roll under a 5, does he just end the game spotless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your first question, yes, the most you can have is 13 points (no extra fate). While this might seem really tricky I have so far managed to beat all the books up until Death Masks (though in some cases it took several tries).

Regarding your second question, the anwer is yes, restriction rules still apply. As stated on the rules: "Any text effects on Foe, Case and Obstacle cards that remain on the board will remain in effect during the Showdown phase".

Furthermore, if you look again at the rules you can only roll at the shodown for cards that already have clues or hits. Since if you have not met the condition before, you cannot add hits to the Frog Demon or Count Ortega, that means that you cannot roll for them during the Showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
montanus wrote:
Regarding your first question, yes, the most you can have is 13 points (no extra fate). While this might seem really tricky I have so far managed to beat all the books up until Death Masks (though in some cases it took several tries).

Regarding your second question, the anwer is yes, restriction rules still apply. As stated on the rules: "Any text effects on Foe, Case and Obstacle cards that remain on the board will remain in effect during the Showdown phase".

Furthermore, if you look again at the rules you can only roll at the shodown for cards that already have clues or hits. Since if you have not met the condition before, you cannot add hits to the Frog Demon or Count Ortega, that means that you cannot roll for them during the Showdown.

Side question, we just did death masks, I think. With the T. rex. If you go into the showdown. Do the effects of cases still work. Like if you finish this add two clues to this other case ect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andres is correct on all points.

Effects on all Obstacle, Foe and Case cards are still active in the Showdown. So if a Case or Foe you finish during the Showdown adds or removes tokens from another Case or Foe, that still occurs. You can choose the order in which you roll on cards in the Showdown to try to take advantage of these effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahuloq wrote:
montanus wrote:

Side question, we just did death masks, I think. With the T. rex. If you go into the showdown. Do the effects of cases still work. Like if you finish this add two clues to this other case ect.

I am not sure how the T. Rex plays into this, since she is an advantage, not a case, and appears in Dead Beat not Dead Masks, but to answer the general question: Yes, positive effects on cases and Foes (like adding hits or clues to another case/foe) still work during the showdown.

As Eric mentioned in his previous post that is why it is important to think about the order in which you roll for cases and foes during the showdown in order to maximize (or, in the case of negative effects, minimize) this type of interaction between cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so hard. D:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
montanus wrote:
Mahuloq wrote:
montanus wrote:

I am not sure how the T. Rex plays into this, since she is an advantage, not a case, and appears in Dead Beat not Dead Masks, but to answer the general question: Yes, positive effects on cases and Foes (like adding hits or clues to another case/foe) still work during the showdown.

As Eric mentioned in his previous post that is why it is important to think about the order in which you roll for cases and foes during the showdown in order to maximize (or, in the case of negative effects, minimize) this type of interaction between cards.

The t. Rex was just for reference I couldn't remember the case name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
First off, can you have too much fate? If Harry needs to discard on turn one of Apprentice mode to move an Obstacle, do you get extra Fate, or is it "There are 13 tokens, 13 is the most you can have"? (Note the two times I tried playing with 'extra' fate, it didn't help in the long run. )

Don't forget that the player with the Harry deck chooses who goes first. In this instance, it would be a smart play to let the person to Harry's right go first and do something that spends Fate points. Then Harry's discard for Fate action isn't wasted in addition to allowing him to move an Obstacle closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the situation I was in, Harry needed to move the obstacle before anyone could do anything worthwhile. Likely an edge case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, yeah that would have to be pretty edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.