Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Announced ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So looks like there will be an expansion. Thoughts? What do you hope it adds?

http://usaopoly.com/blog/monster-box-monsters-expansion-harr...

"The Monster Box of Monsters Expansion for HARRY POTTER™: HOGWARTS™ BATTLE game is Near!

HARRY POTTER™: HOGWARTS™ BATTLE game has captured imaginations aplenty since its Gen Con 2016 debut. That’s why we’re thrilled to share that the game which has brought you the joy of exploring the world of Harry and his friends is getting much, much bigger. How much bigger?

Monstrously so.

The Monster Box of Monsters Expansion for HARRY POTTER™: HOGWARTS™ BATTLE deck-building game adds over 150 new cards to your game. You’ll face new adversaries in the form of magical Creatures, each to be handled with care. Undertake new tests of your proficiency by besting Encounters as you fight evil across new Locations.

So much more excitement awaits:

A new hero joins her friends. One of the most magical of wizarding powers makes its deck-building debut. And breaking the rules of HOGWARTS™ has consequences…

The Monster Box of Monsters Expansion is drawing near. Can you hear the Creatures? Are you ready to face them?

This new deck-building challenge gives fans more of what they love, and it’s coming soon to your local game and toy stores!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Expansion
So sounds like we're getting a new female hero, which is awesome!

Lots of questions, like

What are Encounters? Will the new Locations have different functions? What power are they talking about, and is it trashing? (or vanishing?) What does "breaking the rules" mean?

Anyway, super excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From usaopoly.com:

"Venture into the Forbidden Forest with The Monster Book of Monsters, the highly anticipated expansion to HARRY POTTER: HOGWARTS BATTLE! Play as Harry, Hermione, Ron, Neville or Luna Lovegood as you face frightening creatures and challenging encounters. Beware of any wrongdoing that might earn you detention! Only working together to defeat the evil forces and protecting iconic locations will make the Wizarding World safe once and for all!"

and contents:

"152 cards (40 small, 68 regular, 44 oversized)
1 Die
4 Game Boxes
4 Game Rules
21 Chip Pieces (12 influence, 1 Harp, 8 More)"

So we get more box-opening surprises!

EDIT: Box art seems to show Grawp, a dragon, a thestral, and a centaur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
How are they gonna give us Luna and not Ginny? Arguably movie Luna is more likable, but Ginny is in every book at least.

Anyhoo I'm glad it seems like they are giving us another way to play besides replaying the later years and it seems like a whole different scenario built with more randomization. Increasing the longevity is important.

I wonder if their pool for potential new characters is so small that they want to save someone like Ginny for a separate expansion to encourage people to spend more money...I get it but one new character is kind of ridiculous.

I hope they put in creatures from the fantastic beasts book...although I don't know how likely that is due to lisencing and availability of artwork.. I will be disturbed if you have to fight Grawp...and thestrals/centaurs aren't really enemies in the movies either....maybe they are allies. Although idk how I feel about bloating the Hogwarts Deck more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Found a video about the game on The Dice Towers YouTube. About to describe some mechanics and specific cards.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So the creatures are the same size as Villain cards and it seems a Creature is a specific subset of the Villain cards. It also sounds like you play with both at the same time. Norbert and Fluffy are Creatures which I find odd. Dementor is being revised as a Creature card.

All the characters have new ability cards with new art. Luna's first ability is "The first time you draw an extra card on your turn, any hero can gain 2 Health." She has a "Lion Hat" Item (why?) and a "Spectrespects" Item which lets you look at the top "Dark Arts" card and choose to discard it. Her "Ally" is "Crumple-Horned Snorkack"...(ok?)

They are introducing deck-thinning. There are Spells, Items and Allies that allow you to remove cards (Filch, Tergeo). This is also useful because of new "Detention" cards that can get added into your deck as wasted space like "Wounds" in Marvel Legendary.

The "Encounter" cards are like the "Horcrux" cards, you have to satisfy a task for a reward. Makes sense since the Horcruxes are kind of only in the 7th game because they make sense there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So really tearing this whole thing apart....

1) While I find Luna as the new hero to be a slightly disappointing choice, given that she and Longbottom were the only two members of the DA to respond to the coin summons in Half Blood Prince, I have to admit that it is the most appropriate choice. (Also, she and Ginny were the only other students present at the Dept of Mysteries attack.) That said, I would have preferred three or four new heroes to provide more player options. Generic "Aloharoma" cards could be used to keep the card count down without having to make seven for each new hero.

2) The website claims that a new power will make its "deck-building debut" which is not the same thing as making its Hogwarts Battle debut. This could imply a never before seen mechanic, although I'm more inclined to think that this is either a marketing error or that it refers to the name of the power rather than to the mechanic itself. I would not be surprised if the new mechanic is trashing given the clamor for it here on the forums, but I am hoping for something more exciting than this.

3) "Undertake new tests of your proficiency by besting Encounters as you fight evil across new Locations." This has two interesting implications. First, it uses the word "proficiency" which kind of implies that something in the game might modify or interact with the Game Six mechanic. Although again, this could simply be the marketing department using the word proficiency in a colloquial sense and not in a game mechanic sense. Second, the sentence seems to link Encounters with Locations. Since the word Encounters is capitalized, this is clearly going to be a new mechanic. My purely speculative guess is that a card (or deck of cards) will be attached to a location providing another hindrance to heroes as well as a reward once overcome. Since the description uses the word "travel," it also sounds like the game might do something to entice players to move to new locations rather than camp out on location one.

4) 44 Oversized cards. Three of these are obviously for Luna. If the Encounter deck changes how Locations work, I'm going to guess that 21 of these cards replace the existing location cards. This leave 20 oversize cards leftover. Perhaps these are the Creatures? Although there are only 17 Villain cards, so it seems odd there would be more creatures than villains.

5) Its interesting that a game that uses surprises as part of its marketing strategy would specifically mention a harp token. The only harp mentioned in the books with a magical purpose was the one Quirrell used to calm Fluffy in the first book. My guess here is that there is a new Hogwarts item that behaves similarly to the Petrificus spell, only that it will instead disable a Creature making it easier to defeat/tame. My other speculation is that Harp is not a spoiler but that somebody may have misspelled Heart; Luna would need a heart token if you want a five player game.

6) Odd that the contents list does not include a game board. Are the Creatures and Encounters going to occupy existing spots on the board? Perhaps a new board is simply omitted from that blurb.

7) "Breaking the rules of Hogwarts has consequences" / "Beware of any wrongdoing that that might earn you detention." This seems to hint at another mechanic or at least a new penalty that can be inflicted on players.

8) The expansion uses the word Monster but the marketing blurb uses the word Creature. Are these the same thing or different mechanics? Again, pure speculation, but I wonder if Monster is villain-like obstacle that you must defeat and the reward is a Creature which you can add to your deck. However, again note that Creature is unnecessarily capitalized, indicating a new keyword or mechanic.

So my guess for now, although not necessarily in this order:

Box One: Rules/Detention mechanic
Box Two: Encounters / Locations
Box Three: Creatures / Monsters
Box Four: No guess, unless Creatures is one mechanic and Monsters is a different mechanic. In which case, they are probably in separate boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vaughnerich wrote:

Drat. You ninja'd me while I was writing that long post.

Quote:
Norbert and Fluffy are Creatures which I find odd.

Why would this be odd? It is the correct classification in the HP Mythology. I think its important to note that Creatures are not Villains, yet they are still obstacles to overcome. What I am curious to know is if you still attack them like you do villains. Creatures are not overcome by attack but by knowledge/behavior. Attacking them does not seem appropriate, yet have to admit that adding another currency could over-complicate the game.

Quote:
[Luna] has a "Lion Hat" Item (why?)

What would you suggest instead? Its worth noting that the Remembrall is only used in the first book and then only has a casual mention in Book six. The lion hat probably has an equal amount of mention, so how is it any less relevant? I don't remember a specific item being strongly associated with her in the book and the hat is somewhat character defining. I think the only other obvious choice would be for her to have a Quibbler in her deck, although I cannot think of a thematic way to turn a pamphlet of misinformation into a thematically appropriate game mechanic.

Quote:
Her "Ally" is "Crumple-Horned Snorkack"...(ok?)

I don't recall Luna's school pet ever being mentioned in the books, so again, what would you suggest instead? The Snorkack is unique and defining to her character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vaughnerich wrote:
How are they gonna give us Luna and not Ginny? Arguably movie Luna is more likable, but Ginny is in every book at least.

I would suspect they would include Ginny in a second expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Including Luna as a playable character makes this an insta-buy for me. Can we preorder it yet??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
2) The website claims that a new power will make its "deck-building debut" which is not the same thing as making its Hogwarts Battle debut. This could imply a never before seen mechanic, although I'm more inclined to think that this is either a marketing error or that it refers to the name of the power rather than to the mechanic itself. I would not be surprised if the new mechanic is trashing given the clamor for it here on the forums, but I am hoping for something more exciting than this.

They specifically say "One of the most magical of wizarding powers makes its deck-building debut" so I'm pretty sure they are referring to a specific named power and neither a totally original mechanic nor a marketing error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Detailed info on the expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSy-FD9far0&feature=youtu.be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
downeymb wrote:
davypi wrote:

They specifically say "One of the most magical of wizarding powers makes its deck-building debut" so I'm pretty sure they are referring to a specific named power and neither a totally original mechanic nor a marketing error.

There will be "trashing of cards" added in the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
There will be "trashing of cards" added in the expansion.

From various cards, yes, but "trashing of cards" is not "one of the most magical of wizarding powers" so it doesn't quite fit.

I think it's more likely they are specifically referring to another proficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Or it is because Ginny is already featured in the Hogwarts Deck. It would be weird to be playing as Ginny and then recruit her card later on in the game.

So is Luna. There's probably a rule to replace her card entirely, or just simply remove it if you're playing with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
davypi wrote:
vaughnerich wrote:

Drat. You ninja'd me while I was writing that long post.

I'm pretty sure the Creatures are basically Villains. The cards have the same health icons. There's also a Troll Creature and a Dementor. It's possible you have to use influence on them but influence is much easier to come by so it would be unbalanced.

The lion hat is just random in my mind, but that's cuz I don't like the movies. I'd suggest maybe a copy of the quibbler, her butterbeer necklace, idk. I'd have preferred they used her ravenclaw hat if it had to be a hat, but I don't think that was in the movies. The hat only is in one scene in the movies I think for a quick second. The remembrall is a defining part of Neville was character in the first movie. The quibbler has social influence, it was used to get information out to the public that the daily prophet wouldn't cover. So influence tokens or something.

The Crumpled Horned thing isn't even real, it's imaginary. Also I'm pretty sure there's no image of it in the movies so they'd have to make something new which doesn't make sense. I don't have any suggestion that fits the "pet" mold, but they could have used her father or a thestral or something with significance.

Edit:
Rewatched video and I caught something, while Fluffy has a heart icon, Norbert does indeed have an influence icon, it is just a really high number like 14 or 16 or something. This makes me feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Or it is because Ginny is already featured in the Hogwarts Deck. It would be weird to be playing as Ginny and then recruit her card later on in the game.

So is Luna. There's probably a rule to replace her card entirely, or just simply remove it if you're playing with her.

Hopefully they also include ally cards for the four main heroes for when you aren't playing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Natale
United States
Montrose
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A Monster Box of Weasleys expansion, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
4) 44 Oversized cards. Three of these are obviously for Luna. If the Encounter deck changes how Locations work, I'm going to guess that 21 of these cards replace the existing location cards. This leave 20 oversize cards leftover. Perhaps these are the Creatures? Although there are only 17 Villain cards, so it seems odd there would be more creatures than villains.

You've probably seen the Dice Tower video by now, but it's worth mentioning here that there will also be one new hero card each for Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville.

Now does that imply four hero cards for Luna? Or, since in the video (IIRC) it's mentioned that the expansion is intended to be played after Game 7, is there only one Luna card, and the new HRHN cards are only for the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading back through everything posted so far - I'm calling the "most magical power" as Apparating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Natale
United States
Montrose
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It makes sense that Luna is included in the Monster Box of Monsters -- her entire shtick revolved around them. The Crumple-Horned Snorkack, Nargles, the lion hat, her ability to see Thestrals. As such, it totally makes sense for the CHS to be her ally, despite its non-existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Including Luna as a playable character makes this an insta-buy for me. Can we preorder it yet??

I’ve played the expansion in a Beta form, and I can tell you it was challenging, it was flavorful, and it was really fun.

(I think Andrew will be okay with me spoiling that it was fun.)

And I absolutely loved playing as Luna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
Looking forward to this expansion. In the youtube video they seem to add some interesting new mechanics. New cards are always refreshing for replay value. Wondering if they will add a 5 player option and maybe tweak some rules to balance difficulty among different player counts.

I hope they listened to the issues adressed on this forum (mainly easy vs hard games based on lucky/unlucky draw of villains and token removal cards), seeing they read a lot of the threads. Nice to see developers actively helping their community and genuinly enjoying it when the game is enjoyed by others.

Pre-order for me for sure, eventhough I'll have to pay the import costs to the Netherlands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superjojo222 wrote:
Wondering if they will add a 5 player option and maybe tweak some rules to balance difficulty among different player counts.

The rep made a point to mention that they are adding Luna but the player count remains 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
superjojo222 wrote:
Wondering if they will add a 5 player option and maybe tweak some rules to balance difficulty among different player counts.

The rep made a point to mention that they are adding Luna but the player count remains 4.

I was wondering if they might deliberately avoid the 5P issue because of the difficulties we have already seen at the 4P level. It does seem like a rule tweak would be needed to make this work.

Somewhere there was a discussion of a 4P variant where DA cards that attack all players would attack only the active and adjacent players. It seems like this could be a simple/feasible solution for anyone who wants to homebrew an extra player board. Not having tried the variant myself, this is only conjecture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally very happy for the additional character choice, without having an additional player at the table. I already feel the four player game is stretching things out too much in terms of downtime and inability to react. Adding a fifth player breaks certain balances and some of the math.

Adding a different choice of character changes the mix of heroes in a 4 player game from:

24 different player lineups (order does matter)
to
120 different player lineups.

That's a good thing.

Variants, if and when they come (and they'll inevitably come) should probably be limited to the Variants forum so as to not muddy the waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.