Tile placement game with 2-4 players where players draft tiles to create patterns on the table and claim victory tiles to get points. Most points win.
Tiles will likely be cards for ease of play, but square.
128 Tiles - 24 events, 24 victory tiles, 80 game tiles
Game tiles look like: http://i.imgur.com/UoFNsuF.jpg and will have a couple basic variations. Some may have 2 of the same color with 4 colors total.
Victory tiles look like: http://i.imgur.com/yOmfWj4.jpg and are claimed when the shown pattern is made from placed tiles. The # is how many VPs it is worth.
Event tiles will have an action on them the player can take. These actions will be like the following:
1) Rotate a board tile.
2) Remove two tiles from the board that only share 1 side with another tile and shuffle them back in the deck.
3) move any tile bounded on 3 or less sides to any place along the edge in any alignment
4) take a random tile from a player; then give them one of yours
5) The next tile you place can be put on top of the tile board as long as it is completely over other tiles
Each player takes a pile of 8 tiles and chooses one to start their hand. The player going first can either immediately play that tile or pass. Once the action is chosen, each player passes the remaining pile of tiles to their left and chooses a card from the new pile in front of them. Player 2 can then play one of the two tiles they have (or pass) and so forth until all cards have been drafted.
Once each player has played 4 turns (4 rounds total), each player takes 8 tiles off the top of the deck and resume drafting as normal.
On a turn, each player will draft a tile and the active player can either play a tile or play an action. Victory Cards can be claimed by the active player at any time during their turn (but only 1 each round).
[b]Ending the Game
Right now I'm testing to see if it would be better to end the game after a certain number of rounds or a VP total. My current thought is ending after 4 rounds of drafting (32 rounds total).
2 player version
Each round layout 8 piles of 1 face up and 1 face down card. Players take turns drafting piles. Play as normal otherwise.
1) Deciding on an end game condition. I prefer rounds as it feels more variable than aiming for a set number of VP as a wincon.
2) Preventing stalling. For the first few rounds, why would a player take a basic tile when they can just grab action/victory tiles and pass? I was thinking of making the first round have all players starting with 2 random basic tiles and not allowing passing to encourage gameplay going forward.
3) Theme is important. Placing colored tiles isn't going to cut it anymore.
Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!