10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Are there best strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
My gaming group and I have played the base game about 50 times and we all agree that there are best strats. We believe that produce/consume strat is the easiest strat to run and going military or yellow planets is the hardest. We've also found sometimes that half way through a game someone has a superior produce/consume engine and you could just call the game then. Has this been the experience of everyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions seem to acknowledge these findings to some extent, and tend to balance out different strategies. For instance, military options get expanded in all three expansion arcs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game produce consume is the most likely to consistently win. But I like to play based off of my opening hand. If I have a 6 cost Dev I like I will push it and it often pays off well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Freeman
United States
Delaware
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few games where alien cards were the way to go. Just the right starting hand got me cards that made them cheaper, and from there I just went for it getting several yellow cards out on the table. It's not to say that always works, some games it's really hard to get them out. I think a lot of it comes down to what's the opening hand like and what actions the other players choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is well known. From Lehmann's design diary for the first expansion:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
While I didn't want to change game play dramatically – this could occur in later expansions – I did want to shake things up a bit. What I had observed (and confirmed after publication) is that new players often start out doing military settlement strategies (as these are easily grasped), then gradually discover produce-consume strategies before moving to a more flexible play style centered around produce-consume, but also encompassing military and development paths when indicated.

Thus, the base set is tilted slightly towards produce-consume to encourage players to look beyond the military strategies. The Gathering Storm redresses this"

and a quote from him from an old thread about this:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
tflawless wrote:
I don't like the answer of buying an expansion to fix it.

I agree completely. You shouldn't need to buy an expansion.

Instead, improve your play. Learn how:

* to execute a development strategy,
* to shift from a development strategy to late-game big military,
* to execute a trade strategy,
* to not settle into someone setting up a p/c engine,
* to build a better p/c engine, with superior card flow,
* to build a better p/c engine, with a larger "crank",
* to take better advantage of your opponents' phase calls.

The point is that you shouldn't feel "helpless" in the face of a P/C engine; instead, you should see the engine coming a few rounds in advance and have the play skills to deal with it (most of the time, as there is luck involved in any card game and no guarantees).

RFTG existed for a year before any expansion to it was published. If the dominant strategy in the base game was simply "put down a P/C engine, game over", there is no way it would have been so popular...

By improving your skills at the base game, you will become a better RFTG player in any play environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
What does everything think is a good expansion to get to improve balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

Any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

The first expansion of any arc will likely address this issue (which I also found). I like The Gathering Storm for keeping closest to the vanilla experience, but I own all of them now.
Getting Gathering Storm made me bump my rating of this game from a 9 to a 10. It's simply *the* deepest game I've played that can be finished in 20 minutes with experienced players. Sure, this is at the expense of having some variance, but with such short playing times it is still worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacko1235 wrote:

For your specific group, Alien Artifacts adds a number of options for Alien and Military strategies, while being "complete" in itself, and aimed at those who don't want too much added complexity.

Not that Military or Alien are weak in the base game, but they are quite situational. Race is all about playing the cards you see the best you can, and in AA you're more likely to see cards that play into a high military or Alien strategy than in base.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack O'Brien
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I'll pick up AA and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.