Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I have to say that writing this post is one of the most difficult things I've had to do in my lifetime. I've had over 3 years of thoughts swirling around in my head. It seems nearly impossible to condense those thoughts into a single, comprehensive post. But that's what I'm going to try to do.

The Story

Here are the facts that I am able to speak to. Five years ago I was forced to make a decision, and I made the wrong choice. I chose to sell Boards & Bits, while retaining a minority stake in the new business. That choice ultimately, and quickly, killed Boards & Bits. While the choice was mine, and I ignored my instincts, I don't believe that a majority of the fault lies with me.

Around the same time I made that decision, my wife and I made another decision: to separate. This was about 6 months before B&B stopped operating. So as you can see, that was a very difficult year for me. Fortunately we are still very good friends and I would have had a much more difficult time getting through all of this without her support.

Ever since B&B stopped operating I had been fighting a very expensive (at least for someone with no income) legal battle. All told I currently owe approximately $150,000 to various banks.

The legal battle is over, and there are many stipulations keeping me from saying much more. The only other thing that I can say is that at the end of it all, I finally received most of my inventory back.

To my friends and customers that supported me for the 10 years I was in business, thank you so very much! I truly felt that Boards & Bits was where I was meant to be. I appreciate the respect and trust that you showed me, and I hope I earned at least some of it.

To everyone that was hurt by the demise of Boards & Bits, I offer my sincerest apologies. I hope you know that I never meant for anyone to get hurt, and would have done anything to keep bad things from happening.

At the time B&B ran into trouble, I was only a 20% owner and therefore was not in control. Had I been, there would most likely still be a B&B today, and none of this would have happened. Again, for this I am truly sorry.

The Request

And now, for the hard part. As I said, I am deeply in debt, and I currently have no income. I've spent the last 8 months preparing to bring a website online to sell the remaining B&B inventory. The site is finally ready, as detailed further in this post, The Announcement.

I understand there is most likely some resentment over the way things happened, rightfully so. However I am again in full control of my business, and I can promise you that if you pay for an order, you will get that order. I have my inventory here with me in Spokane, WA, and I will be handling all of the shipping personally.

For the 10 years that I ran my business, I never asked for any favors. I did my best to show respect for my customers, and worked hard to make sure my customers were happy and satisfied with their service from me.

But at this point, I do have one favor to ask. Please consider placing an order from my new site, either for yourself, or for friends or loved ones. Not only will you (or your friends) get new games at fair prices, but you'll be personally helping me out significantly.

The Announcement

My new website is store.boardgamenation.com. You'll notice that it is nearly identical to B&B, and only the name and logo have changed. Functionally, not much, if anything, has changed.

As you may have guessed, I have received no new inventory in over 3 years, so you won't find any new titles on the site. But there are some great games in stock such as Antiquity, Roads & Boats, Key Market, Die Macher, etc.

If you created an account with B&B, that account is still valid on BGN. PLEASE remember to update your delivery address! If you need help remembering your email address or password, please let me know. While your account information is still there, your order history is not, and I no longer have access to it.

IMPORTANT: If you sent me an email 3 years ago regarding an unfilled order, I will generate a gift certificate for the full amount that you lost. While I cannot refund anyone's money, I feel I owe you that much. Unfortunately, if you did not email me, I am unable to provide any relief as I no longer have access to order and payment history.

You will also notice that my prices are not “going out of business” prices, but they should be “fair market value” prices. Due to my indebtedness, I am not in a position to blow out my inventory. Selling my inventory is the only way for me to pay off my debt.

If you feel that my prices are out of line, feel free to tell me so. I spent a lot of time recently going through each and every item I have and checking prices on Board Game Geek and Board Game Prices so I could set a fair value. And I know things change quickly in this business.

FedEx non-signature shipping will be free on all orders over $110.

Also please note that the site has undergone internal changes and will most likely have a few (small?) issues. Please be patient as I work through them as quickly as possible.

Again I would like to say thank you to all of you that supported me through the years of Boards & Bits, as well as the time after. No matter what else happens, it's made a difference not only in my business, but in my life.

Sincerely,
Tom Powers
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you regain the following you once had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who lost money during this whole thing, I truly wish you the best. Good luck Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Got an order together (and actually managed to remember my old log in!) but it says 'pick up' only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Got an order together (and actually managed to remember my old log in!) but it says 'pick up' only?

On it, thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to finally have you back, Tom. You were missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of Roads & Boats from you, and I remember it was packaged very well. It made it across the country safely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
first

Super cool of you to post a tired old meme in response to someone's personal struggle...

I'll admit, I don't know what Tom is apologizing for, but it takes guts to admit you made a mistake and try and make it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only see the Roads & Boats expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mregamr wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

On it, thanks!!

OK, FedEx shipping should be working (was still on test mode and only worked for me).

Thanks!

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I missed it, but are you back in business?

As in you might eventually start stocking new titles at some point?

I for one, would have no issue placing an order with you and am quite happy to see your new site up and running!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only checks or money orders at the time of this posting? No Paypal options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Now only accepts check or money order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Only see the Roads & Boats expansion.

OK, it's there now

Thanks,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Yup I see that, just making sure it's not a mistake... until a few moments ago, you could only pick up your order at the warehouse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes life just sucks.

Sorry for what you had to go through, and it's good to see you again. B&B was always my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also is this correct?

It says for money orders / checks
Make Payable To: Boards & Bits

Send To:
Board Game Nation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

OK, I believe this is set now. Sorry for the trouble!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Also is this correct?

Send To:
Board Game Nation

Either would work, but I've updated it to Board Game Nation.

Thanks,
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mregamr wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

Tom
I prefer Paypal over giving out my credit card number, but I can send a money order instead. I'm in no big rush to get the games. Over the past year and a half we've had our credit card hacked 3 times and I'm a little reluctant to give out the number to too many websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting this in the final step:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'locationcode' in /home/bgn/public_html/store/includes/order_insert.php on line 100

Warning: Illegal string offset 'rate' in /home/bgn/public_html/store/includes/order_insert.php on line 101
1366 - Incorrect decimal value: '' for column 'wa_dest_tax_rate' at row 1

[and more but it has my info in it]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Only checks or money orders at the time of this posting? No Paypal options?

I am using Square for credit card processing. Unfortunately there is no PayPal option.

Thanks,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mregamr wrote:
Murr wrote:
Also is this correct?

Send To:
Board Game Nation

Either would work, but I've updated it to Board Game Nation.

Thanks,
Tom
Thanks for the quick fixes .. glad to see you back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Murr wrote:
mregamr wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

Tom
I prefer Paypal over giving out my credit card number, but I can send a money order instead. I'm in no big rush to get the games. Over the past year and a half we've had our credit card hacked 3 times and I'm a little reluctant to give out the number to too many websites.

Totally understand. All I can say is that I'm using Square for the credit card processing, over a secure https connection, and not storing any of your information on my site. It should be 100% safe, but I can understand your reluctance.

Thanks,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Getting this in the final step:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'locationcode' in /home/bgn/public_html/store/includes/order_insert.php on line 100

Warning: Illegal string offset 'rate' in /home/bgn/public_html/store/includes/order_insert.php on line 101
1366 - Incorrect decimal value: '' for column 'wa_dest_tax_rate' at row 1

[and more but it has my info in it]

Same here .... Hopefully it's not because we're trying to order the same games that say "1 in Wash"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.