Subject: What rule variants do you use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what rule variants (official or otherwise) do you play with and why?

The one I use is a random turn order. We basically do away with the whole bidding for turn rule and just take all 10 turn order cards and shuffle them and deal randomly. We started doing it because 2 out of the 3 people I play Ascendancy with can be prone to AP, so eliminating the process of trying to decide how much to bid speeds our game up considerably.

After the last game where the Romulan player explored 6 planets and didn't find a single additional production node, we're thinking about using the extra starting resources variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can't remember if it's an official variant, but we make the first 6 sectors non-hazard with 3 nodes each, and no hazards in the first 6 exploration cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Focused Research
-Extra Starting Resources (we tried this last time and I think it went well enough to stick with it.)
-No Hazards in the top 2/player systems (Instead of no phenomena. We don't make sure they're 3-node systems or do anything to the exploration deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Cimmarrusti
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
ALOHA we use :
- Simultaneous first turn
- Extra starting resources
- Starting projet
- Starting advacements
- Base rule First 6 sectors NO Hazard & systems with 3 nodes
HOUSE Rules
- Klingon & Romulan -1 weapon cost federation -2 shields cost
- Planetary surrender : if surreder my system attacker take system intact
and I no loss from research node
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud Rouchon
France
RIS ORANGIS
essonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the following:
- Base rule First 6 sectors NO Hazard & systems with 3 nodes
- No red card or civilization in the first 6 cards
- Simultaneous building phase

and the house rule:
During command phase, each players play one commande counters at a time following initiative order and, the starbase gain the following capacity:
-A player who possess two starbase can activate two command counters at a time during the command phase and by possessing three starbase a player can activate two command counter twice during the command phase OR activate three command counter once during the command phase.

and there is no more downtime between players turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've used Extra Starting Resources in roughly half the our games so far. I like the freedom it gives us early in the game, and it certainly takes the luck down a little! But I also enjoy the base rule because it makes early decisions a little more clutch.

We played Easier Ascension once but didn't like it. Maybe it would be better without Extra Starting Resources; or even with Humble Beginnings? I'd try it again like that.

I think we played one game with Starting Project, but I can't recall if maybe we just talked about it?

I'm keen to try out Focused Research, and I'm kind of curious to try Wild Culture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really thought about using the 1st six systems have 3 nodes. I can understand how it would ensure that no one gets shafted at the start with a bad system draw but more or less requires that everyone uses 4 of their 5 commands on exploration. When/if the Cardassians come out, this variant would benefit them more as their extra starting command will let them snag a third good system over and above others.

Seeing so many people use Extra starting resources makes me want to try it out.

Maybe we'll use the no hazardous systems too, too many times has the Klingon player lost his entire fleet by the third turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Ko
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra starting resources accelerate the early game nicely.

I've been using a slight variant on Starting Project where players take a free Launch Project action (draw two, decide what to keep) before the start of the game.

I also house rule that a player's first two explores come from the six planet stack, so that one player can't try to grab a third if one of their opponents starts off slowly.

More recently, I've experimented with keeping the harsher hazard worlds (the 4s and 5s) out of the starting stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L.
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got a game coming up.

"If something is important, you make the time" - J. Kirk

Not opposed to using any variants. Would not suggest any either.
Still a new game as far as I am concerned.
So many variables with the base rules as it is.

Having a blast so far. I think this game is great.

You can take any house rules and shove them out the air lock I'd rather play a different game by the proper rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
So far my group just uses Focused Research but I am intrigued by having no hazards in the first six systems. Then again me and my buddies relish hazard rolls. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Cimmarrusti
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
ALOHA we not use Focused Res. because the Technology taken drive in chess open game. For my better drow 2 Tech. cards then choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fussypants wrote:
You can take any house rules and shove them out the air lock I'd rather play a different game by the proper rules.

Agreed. After 3 games, we started using focused research and we like it a lot. That's the only optional rule we use. One guy wants to try the weird random turn order variant in the rules, but nobody else wants to touch that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through today, I'm gung-ho for Unrestricted Trade Routes. It makes trade agreements a bit riskier, and encourages back-stabbing and suspicion.
devil
Don't know how I missed that one!

eugene256 wrote:
The extra starting resources accelerate the early game nicely.

It also vastly reduces the blow of an unlucky start. With all those resources it's so much easier to rebuild.

I guess the downside is that a cushion against bad luck can also be a cushion against bad play. If you don't have much to spend, one poor decision can leave you crippled.

I need to play more in order to decide if I ultimately prefer the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to try Unrestricted Trade Routes, but I think it probably works much better at higher player counts. Not that there's anything wrong with it at 3, but it will be more interesting with 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
I want to try Unrestricted Trade Routes, but I think it probably works much better at higher player counts. Not that there's anything wrong with it at 3, but it will be more interesting with 4 or 5.

Agreed. I think it will make 3 player games a little more tense and interesting; but it would make 4 & 5 player games a lot more tense and interesting!

It should also really enhance the upcoming Ferengi player expansion!

But ultimately I think it's how this game is supposed to work. The base rule seems a little mamby-pamby by comparison.

Edit - this also ups the incentive to bid for a later turn than your trade partner! So much extra tension from one simple rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
-Start with no ascension but normal resources: stretches out the game a bit and/but minimizes early conflict.
-Random turn order: speeds up game and equalizes things
-Random galaxy: ups the risk factor but makes for some challenging games
-Five production can be used to buy one research token: makes it easier to finance both projects and arms race.

Focused Research led to the same projects being used in every game, but I like Eugene's idea and will try that instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played today using Extra Starting Resources & Random Galaxy. It was a good combination because the extra resources off set the extra potential for a rough start.

We also used Unrestricted Trade Routes - loved it and never looking back! I will always suggest and/or vote for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L.
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are about to play!
Extra starting resources. Random Galaxy. Unrestricted Trade Routes.

The extra resources are to offset the possibility of getting raunched early.

"These people are natural born *idiots*, if you ask me! They don't appreciate what they have here. This ship is the match of any vessel within a hundred light years, and what do they do with it? "Well, uh, let's see if we can't find some space anomaly today that might rip it apart!"

-Neelix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
whardy wrote:
-Start with no ascension but normal resources: stretches out the game a bit and/but minimizes early conflict.
-Random turn order: speeds up game and equalizes things
-Random galaxy: ups the risk factor but makes for some challenging games
-Five production can be used to buy one research token: makes it easier to finance both projects and arms race.

Focused Research led to the same projects being used in every game, but I like Eugene's idea and will try that instead.

Maybe Consider this:

Shuffle you advancement deck and hand 2 off the top to the person on you left and 2 to your right. Each will choose one to give you and one to put/shuffle back in the deck.

Reason you'll get an extra starting advancement and more varied advancements. Plus it stops one person getting a lvl 5 whilst another gets a lvl 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our first game we used Random Turn Order by drawing from all ten Turn Order cards, and Random Galaxy. It made it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L.
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bentath wrote:
Our first game we used Random Turn Order by drawing from all ten Turn Order cards, and Random Galaxy. It made it fun.

Random turn order can take a lot out of the game.
However, keeping all your resources every turn and leaving it to chance is tempting.
Would still vote for bidding or be happy to play with random.

And all for Random Galaxies. There are some better Phenomena then the worst planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the optional rules for ascendancy we have used the most:

- Ascendancy 0
- First 6 systems are free of hazards. (This excludes exploration cards. Additionally we do include 2 or 1 resource node planets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Mystery Turn Order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.