Subject: Two questions: Croc Holliday and the Wild Bunch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got my copy but haven't had a chance to play yet. However, I have two questions from reading the rules and the cards that I wanted to clear up before playing.

Croc Holliday: The card says it is discarded "if successful". I'm assuming this means that it's discarded if any other players lies and is prevented from apprehension. And that if everyone tells the truth, the Croc Holliday card does nothing and is returned to the player's hand. I'm also assuming that two or more Croc Holliday cards played in the same round have no effect on each other.

The Wild Bunch: This one isn't really a question. It's more a case where I feel like I'm missing something. It seems to me (keeping in mind I haven't played the game yet) that playing the Wild Bunch and claiming it truthfully is an obvious opening move. So obvious it's almost automatic. If the first player does this, every other player will follow suit and do the same and everyone will score $800 (which effectively cancels all of them out). I can't see any reason not to do this. There doesn't appear to be a way to trap a Wild Bunch card like there is with a Lionel card. And while you could successfully play the Vixen Twins or Lone Wolfgang McClane during this round, you'd end up making less money. And you'd be stuck with a Wild Bunch card which is now less playable because everyone else apprehended theirs in the first round.

At best, this seems like a wasted round with everyone playing the same card and gaining the same amount. But if any player randomly discarded their Wild Bunch card during the set-up then they're going to be at a disadvantage when everyone else scores $800 and they can't.

So I feel like I missing something which would negate this move. If so, what is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotarski
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions.

1. Croc Holliday is added to your apprehended cards (the jail) if anyone lies. He counts towards the end game condition but has no $ value. He also stops other players from apprehending their cards if they lie.

2. I think as you play, The Wild Bunch utility will present itself. For me, one of the fun things to do is to call out Wild Bunch to try to get another player to go along with you and waste their turn because you didn't actually play the Wild Bunch like you claimed.

Hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jguitarstring wrote:
I think as you play, The Wild Bunch utility will present itself. For me, one of the fun things to do is to call out Wild Bunch to try to get another player to go along with you and waste their turn because you didn't actually play the Wild Bunch like you claimed.

I considered this but it didn't seem likely to me. It's probably because I generally play in a group so I anticipate playing more game with four or five players than two.

If I bluffed and claimed I was playing the Wild Bunch and convinced the other players to play their own Wild Bunch cards, then the joke's on me; they'll all collect $800 and I won't. Even if I play Bluffalo Bill Bison and apprehend it, I'll still be behind the other players and worse off than if I had actually played the Wild Bunch card I was claiming. And I'll still have my Wild Bunch card that I can't apprehend now because all of theirs have been apprehended.

It seems to me that in game theory terms, playing and claiming the Wild Bunch card and everyone else following that action is a Nash equilibrium. No other action can produce a greater reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At this point, I've played the game a couple of times. I acknowledge that's nowhere near enough to be definitive but my experience has supported my belief. In one game, everyone followed the Wild Bunch lead. In another game, one player tried to out think the Wild Bunch lead by successfully playing another card but he realized after the round was over that all he had done was win less money than those of us who had played the Wild Bunch. And another player wanted to play the Wild Bunch but was unable to because it had been his random discard. In both games, players tried to come up with a play that was better than "lead and follow the Wild Bunch" and couldn't think of one.

I think the fix is to significantly reduce the value of the card. If it was only worth two or three hundred dollars, players would have an incentive to defect from a Wild Bunch lead (or make a fake Wild Bunch lead) with a card like Bluffalo Bill or Lone Wolfgang, which would now be more valuable than the Wild Bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
At this point, I've played the game a couple of times. I acknowledge that's nowhere near enough to be definitive but my experience has supported my belief. In one game, everyone followed the Wild Bunch lead. In another game, one player tried to out think the Wild Bunch lead by successfully playing another card but he realized after the round was over that all he had done was win less money than those of us who had played the Wild Bunch. And another player wanted to play the Wild Bunch but was unable to because it had been his random discard. In both games, players tried to come up with a play that was better than "lead and follow the Wild Bunch" and couldn't think of one.

I think the fix is to significantly reduce the value of the card. If it was only worth two or three hundred dollars, players would have an incentive to defect from a Wild Bunch lead (or make a fake Wild Bunch lead) with a card like Bluffalo Bill or Lone Wolfgang, which would now be more valuable than the Wild Bunch.

I came to exactly the same conclusion Mike.

It irks me (sorry Jason) ... although I really hate paste ups too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.