United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
A list of questions found in the forums answered by the game's designer JT Smith (rizendefrag)

General

1. Q: When you fire a torpedo, is that torpedo permanently out of the game (so it's possible to run out, and not be able to build any more), or is it available to be rebuilt again later? (src)

A: Skills, aliens, and torpedoes are all recycled.

2. Q: When an alien is killed, is it out of the game (so that the players lose if the total number of aliens placed exceeds 12), or put back in the off-board alien reserve (so that the players only lose if there are 13 aliens on board the ship at the same time? (src)

A: Skills, aliens, and torpedoes are all recycled.

3. Q: Most of the Battle Plans say "discard after use" The ones like "Mechanically inclined" that give an extra discount, have a permanent effect. But what about cards like "Extra Set of Tools" and "Alien Trap"? Should they have said "Discard after use", or do you get to do these things as often as you like if you are holding the card (src)

A: All Battle Plans are a one time use even if the effect is not.

4. Q: What conditions cause the skill deck to cycle? The strategy section mentions that it cycles, but I couldn't find when that happens. Does it still happen when an Alert breaks the Computer, and discards the entire skill deck (src)

A: Cycling the deck means to draw all the cards from it. You need to keep going through the deck to get the engineering cards. There are exactly 12 cards of each type, and Engineering are the most important because it is how you win the game.

As far as what causes the Skills deck to get shuffled back into itself, there are only 2 ways that happens.

1) If the skill deck runs out, you'll shuffle it and stack it back on the computer draw pile.

2) If the computer goes offline (forcing you to dump the deck into the discard pile), and is then repaired (forcing you to shuffle and stack it back on the draw pile).

Alerts

1. Q: For the initial alerts setup, do you draw 1 alert per player, or always 5 alerts? (src)

A: Draw one alert at a time from the face-up alerts next to the Alert deck....Repeat this process 4 times (for a total of 5)

The 1 alert per player rule was removed by the end of the Kickstarter, but was missed in a couple of places.

2. Q: Doesn't the 1 per player rule balance the game according to the number of players? (src)

A: The fixed 5 alerts is balanced because while the number of players change, the number of turns before failure (determined by number of alerts) does not.

3. Q: During setup, should the initial alerts be drawn and played from the top of the deck before or after revealing alerts for External Scanners (if still online)? If you reveal them first you will likely loose 6 alerts during setup, instead of 5. (src)

A: Use the external scanners to reveal alerts. And yes, that can mean you lose 6 alerts in the opener.

Tools

1. Q: Can you carry more than one tool? (src)

A: You can carry tools up to your hand size, but that limits how many skills you can carry.

2. Q: Can you trade an unused (or used...) tool for a different tool if you're in the Cargo hold? (src)

A: You can trade a skill or tool for another tool or skill in the cargo hold.

3. Q: Can you give a tool to another character? (src)

A: You can give tools in person, but not through the comm system. You can give a tool through the teleporter though.

4. Q: Does sending a tool through the teleporter mean you can send a tool through as an action without moving yourself, or that you can teleport there, hand it to them, and then teleport back or elsewhere (using 3 actions)? (src)

A: You can teleport the tool without you through the teleporter. 1 action. You can give or take a tool through the teleporter.

5. Q: Is it possible to drop items (not skills, just items)? Like say leave the Welding Torch in the engine room for another player to use later? Maybe an action to pick-up (and can't do so when aliens are around), free to drop? (src)

A: We tried this out in play testing and didn't like it. We decided instead that you either have to discard it (remove it from game) when your hand size become too full and you don't want to get rid of the other stuff; or you can send the tool through the teleporter to a receiving player. The only place you can "set down" a tool is in the cargo hold, as it is the ability of the cargo pod.

6. Q: If you have a rifle, can you use it to kill all the aliens in a room if you're injured? (src)

A: Yes you can.

Hologram

1. Q: Can the Hologram use tools? (src)

A: The Hologram may not use tools.

2. Q: Can the Hologram teleport to move when the teleporter is out of action (since he is projected rather than having to move)? (src)

A: The hologram is confined to the computer core if the teleporter is offline. And if he's in a different room when it goes offline, he is immediately moved to the computer core.

3. Q: Is the hologram immune to psychological effects (e.g. performing actions that require another person or no other people in the room)? (src)

A: The hologram is not immune to psychological effects. He has an artificial emotional system, and therefore is affected by the same thing that affects everyone else.

4. Q: While the teleporter is offline, can the Hologram still draw skills and send skills via Comm System, and even repair the Computer? (src)

A: He can still perform any valid action while in the computer core.

5. Q: Are tools recylced? (src)

A: No, only skills, aliens, and torpedoes are all recycled.

Anomalies

1. Q: When the Irrational Greed anomaly in play, you can't "give" cards to other players. Can you still "take" cards from other players or does that implicitly involve the other payer "giving" a card, even though it doesn't take on action on their part?
Assuming it prevents any transfer of cards it seems very hard/debilitating but assuming it only restricts "giving" and not "taking" seems like a loophole.?
(src)

A: Correct, you cannot give cards, but others can still take them. If it weren't for the ability to take, it would be way too harsh.

2. Q: Is the Admiral's ability to access battle plans without being in the war room affected by the anger and fear anomalies? (src)

A: Yes it is affected by fear. With Fear, no Systems can be used unless there's someone else in the room with you.

Battle Plans

1. Q: Who can Battle Plans be played on? (src)

Battle plans can be played to affect any player.

2. Q: The cards that say "At any time, repair 3 shields"? Do they require someone located in the Bridge (with no enemies), or is it basically just auto repair? (src)

A: No one needs to be on the bridge to use the shield repair battle plan.

3. Q: Does the "At any time, draw 3 skills" card only apply to the character that drew the card, or can it be used on any player (during their turn)? (src)

A: You can draw the 3 cards from anywhere, but only if the computers are online. Battle plans can be played to affect any player.

4. Q: With the shield repair battle plan, do the repairs have to be paid for still (2 tactical each)? Do all three repairs have to be done at once, or can they be split up? (src)

A: The repairs are free with the shield repair battle plan. All three repairs have to be done at once. Therefore if you only have 2 to do, hold on to the battle plan until you need it.

5. Q: In regards to the Shield Boost battle plan, does its use also trigger the Tactical Officer's special ability? (src)

A: Yes, but only if the card is played on her turn

PDF Version: The Captain Is Dead - Unofficial FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
intentionally left blank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bru Ticus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other asked & answered questions. I would Luke for there to be a printed FAQ included with the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Void
United States
Shepherdstown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've mentioned this in the files section, but here it is again:

Quote:
1. Q: For the initial alerts setup, do you draw 1 alert per player, or always 5 alerts? (src)

A: Draw one alart [sic] at a time from the face-up alerts next to the Alert deck....Repeat this process 5 times

A total of 5 alert cards are drawn. If you draw one and repeat this 5 times, that is in fact 6.

Also the typo for alert, 'alart'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
void_presence wrote:
A total of 5 alert cards are drawn. If you draw one and repeat this 5 times, that is in fact 6.

Also the typo for alert, 'alart'.

Fixed, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolay Andreev
Bulgaria
Varna
flag msg tools
Can I research an anomaly that is due to come at the end of my turn if I finish my turn with one unused action and 4 science skills?

If Yes, do I have to be in the science lab to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
lantinian wrote:
Can I research an anomaly that is due to come at the end of my turn if I finish my turn with one unused action and 4 science skills?

If Yes, do I have to be in the science lab to do that?

Sorry, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.