Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone remember Boulder Games? I had forgotten about them until today. Jim was an interesting person to say the least. Anyone remember the little bags of candy that used to ship with every order? With the emergence of fine online game sellers such as Cool Stuff and Miniature Market it is easy to forget some of these defunct companies. Happy memories indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I got candy, but there were always little extras included. I remember getting a finger spinner, some move/fire markers, and various promo items. Jim even gave me a couple $5 credits when I recommended Boulder on the rec.games.board newsgroup. I think he sent out paper catalogs before the web.

I ran my own online store for a while back then, but Jim was better at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoVan wrote:
Anyone remember Boulder Games? I had forgotten about them until today. Jim was an interesting person to say the least. Anyone remember the little bags of candy that used to ship with every order? With the emergence of fine online game sellers such as Cool Stuff and Miniature Market it is easy to forget some of these defunct companies. Happy memories indeed!

Three cheers to Boulder Games.

They drained several accounts of mine during their final few weeks. The hours plowing through those lists.

I just remember thinking 2200 items, that's only 44 pages. Then that number kept dropping as they sold off items.

Always got candy in my boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered many games from him. My favorite was when Mayfair forced everybody to a max 10% discount (or something like that) and he figured a way to get Mayfair games from somewhere else and offer them for 20-30% off anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe he went to go live in a tree house or something to do with the outdoors

any case you forgot some other fallen staples of my board game shopping... gamefest, thoughthammer, and boards & bits (though you may have seen tom's post that he got his inventory back and is selling it off but not restocking so kind of going out of business again... with out the sale prices). seems like only one still around today from when I 1st got into the hobby is funagain....
GeoVan wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain and finegames are the only two that come to mind from my 20yrs in the hobby that are still around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my early purchases were from both boulder games and thoughthammer...was bummed to see both go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Deniath?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boulder was my go-to for wargames. I think that he went off to do pottery. I admired his independent spirit.

I got a lot of obscure stuff from him. When he was closing out I got a copy of "Rocket Flight" by Phil Eklund from him. Even then folks knew that Phil was still tinkering with it, and wanted to turn it into something else. I also picked up Frischfleisch, Friese's game about cannibalism on an island.

I don't remember receiving anything other than pieces of candy in my Boulder orders. I always appreciated those.

I remember getting a lot of Chessex dice from Thoughthammer - Blunt Minds Swung with Great Force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I not only remember Boulder Games, I remember past remembrances: Re: What are the 3 best online game retailers you have used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I wrote a few of the reviews at the boulder site. Liked his broad selection and service. Missed it when he stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides wargames, Boulder also was a good source of harder to find Euros. I remember picking up stuff I had read about in Bergs Review of Games that I couldn't find anywhere else .

The other thing remarkable about him was that he sent invoices along with the orders - i.e. you paid AFTER you received the order. That didn't last long, but still remarkable in this day and age someone would have that degree of trust.

He also had an online newsletter with game reviews and some editorial content about the industry which was unusual back then, and I think predated BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.