Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the rules are clear, but for some reason I always doubt myself on certain AI rules. For clarification, when does a monster move to "maximize" its attack?

Let's say a monster has a melee, target 2 attack. It is already adjacent to its focus but could move 2 hexes to be adjacent to its focus and another character. In this situation, will it move or stay put? I am having confusion about which takes priority, "minimum movement" or "maximum effect."

Also, in the same situation, if the monster only has 1 move, I assume it stays put because moving would not improve its attack. Correct?

While I'm here, I also continuously get confused about LOS rules in games. In this one, it seems like mainly walls block LOS, so the main questions is around doors.

Say X is a door. Which numbered hexes have LOS to which other numbered hexes?

........X........

9 101112

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I am having confusion about which takes priority, "minimum movement" or "maximum effect."

Maximum effect takes priority over minimum movement. If it was the other way around, monsters wouldn't get to use their multi-target attacks very often

kittenhoarder wrote:
Also, in the same situation, if the monster only has 1 move, I assume it stays put because moving would not improve its attack. Correct?

Correct. The attack would have the same "value" whether it stayed still or moved 1, so it would minimise movement.

kittenhoarder wrote:
While I'm here, I also continuously get confused about LOS rules in games. In this one, it seems like mainly walls block LOS, so the main questions is around doors.

There's a good diagram here: Re: Line of Sight Guide (very small scenario 1 spoilers?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters prioritize:

1) hitting their focus, or if they can't, getting in range to hit him in the future, then

2) maximizing their attack to do as much damage and hit as many additional enemies as possible, and finally,

3) minimizing movement. Which hardly counts as a priority, but there's no point to moving three hexes when one is exactly as effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:

The thing to remember about LOS is that if a straight line can be drawn from any corner of a hex to any corner of another hex without touching a wall (or door edge).

So in the helpful pic MrTroy shared whilst the straight line on the far right obviously touches the door edge/wall it is only the hexes with a corner clearly to the left of that line (i.e. no edge cases) that would be in line of sight from the solid red highlighted hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliffy73 wrote:
Monsters prioritize:

0.5) avoiding all traps and dangerous terrain unless no other path exists, then

1) hitting their focus, or if they can't, getting in range to hit him in the future, then

1.5) if ranged, avoid disadvantage to focus, and minimize other disadvantage, then

2) maximizing their attack to do as much damage and hit as many additional enemies as possible, and finally,

3) minimizing movement. Which hardly counts as a priority, but there's no point to moving three hexes when one is exactly as effective.

I was just working through this and added bold sections. There is a good comprehensive monster movement flowchart here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745116/monster-focus-and-m...

(Edit: I just wanted to add those two points for the sake of completeness. Cliffy73 answered the original question sufficiently.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.