Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the expansions, Descent needs one.

Just sayin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? What information do you need to know that isn't printed right there on the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually having not thought about this before - I think it's a good idea.
But then I really like the Arkham investigators book they just released last year.

I would be in for purchasing a nice hardcover book/manual with a blurb and the stats of monsters and races and heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, reminds me of the Monster book of D&D

It would be nice to have all monsters featured with top notch drawings and some lore added to make it perfect.

A hero book wouldn't hurt either. There are many!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
A player-created reference would be a fine thing.

If FFG created a high quality official Monster, Hero, and Lieutenant Guide, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The problem is that it would be outdated the moment a new expansion was released, so a better option might be a continuously updated living PDF document.

Proto Persona wrote:
Why? What information do you need to know that isn't printed right there on the cards?

A hardback book would definitely would be more of a cosmetic fan item than a functional necessity. Kind of like how a lot of video games sell their "The Art of [game]" books. It's geeky coffee table bling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean White
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I have 12 of the 14 looseleaf punched sets of the ADnD 2nd Monster manual bound together and it is like 3+ inches thick. While I like it in premise, in application it's a bit unruly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that you're looking for something more along the lines of a lore book, rather than a stats-heavy beastiary, and other user comments seem to echo that. And frankly, a lore book approach would be much more likely to happen. Fantasy Flight Games probably wouldn't want to drop actual stats and rules text from the monster cards into a book, because it could hurt the sales of Hero & Monster collections and to a lesser extent even boxed expansions, by making it much easier to proxy their miniatures and bypassing a lot of costly add on packs.

On the other hand, a book around the lore of these monsters of Descent, or better yet around the world of Terrinoth, would be fantastic. It could be split into a section about the various heroes that fight for Terrinoth, one about the locations and regions of Terrinoth, and of course a section for the many monsters that occupy those areas. It would be a great cross-pollination tool for FFG, since they like to remind us that games like Rune Age, Rune Wars, Descent, etc all take place in the same world -make a book that fills that out, connects some of the places and events from each product line. If they put something like that together for a reasonable price, it would be a great way to get people who love one of these products potentially a lot more interested in trying out some of the other associate Terrinoth products. And it feels like the big step FFG needs, to take Terrinoth from being a vague fantasy world devoid of connection and cohesion... And turn it into a tightly knit world people can sink their teeth into.

I, for one, would absolutely be on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't the expansion rules books have a bit of lore for each monster? Do people actually read those? I've always wanted to but never got around to it. It would be really cool to have it all collected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Pan
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a Monster Manual Book and i would definitely buy it.
I have 5 Monster Manual from D&D 3.5, a Fiend Folio and 2 Fiendish Codex.
Personally, i think that this book could help the OLs.

I loved Heirs of Blood Campaign book and i think that FFG should give us more lore, more story and more books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.