Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm fairly certain I want to back Rising Sun. With each update and video I'm feeling more and more convinced. There is one thing that I feel hesitant about...the map is so small!

I'm used to my area control games being more like A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition): lots of territories to expand into and fight over.

The reason I'm posting this here is that it looks like Blood Rage's map is 'small' also.

Can anyone speak to these concerns? Does it feel cramped in a bad way? Why or why not? Do the choices feel too limited and therefore too 'railroaded'?

(I tried searching for a similar question and couldn't find anything. Apologies if this has been asked before.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The smaller map encourages conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem or had that feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused, the title of the Original post refers to Blood Rage, but your question refers to Rising Sun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Well nothing wrong with the provinces in Blood Rage; I think they scale pretty well.
The BR map has 9 starting provinces with 5 players, in age 2 there's 7 of them left. So on average 8.

The RS map has 8 provinces with any number players so that's about equal. With 5 players it's the same; with 6 it's more crowded and with 3-4 players it's less crowded than BR.

Only thing in the gameplay video is that some provinces are a bit small if all big monsters concentrate on that province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is also an area control game, it is not an 'territory expansion' game the likes of Shogun, Game of Thrones or even Kemet and Cyclades. Both Blood Rage and Rising Sun are like that. Your board state constantly changes in the game.

It's a different type of game and what it tries to do I think it does pretty fine and well. I really like my 'area control' (or area influence) games to be different, otherwise there's no real reason to select one over the other from the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
What others said before: The map i kept tight, so that there must be conflict and its difficult to avoid it and keep out of war.
Also both games reward you for fighting (often even if you are loosing, depending on your draft strategy in Blood Rage), in Rising Sun you can earn Victory Points by loosing , when you kill your own guys off, and let the poets sing about it^^

It's intentional, that no province can really be save, because its deep in your main land, i think the size will be no concern here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three key features that make the small map in Blood Rage - and CitOw too, for that matter - feel less small:

1. Opposing units can co-exists in the same area. In BR, battles only happen when specifically triggered by a Pillage action. In CitOW, battles only happen during a specific phase and are not necessarily to the death.

2. Movement rules that allow a lot of freedom. In BR, you can March from any area to any area on the board with no adjacency requirements and no way to block the movement other than the maximum space in the destination area. In CitOW, you can do the same and not even have to worry about a "stacking limit".

3. You are trying to dominate areas to reap the maximum benefits from them, not necessarily control them entirely. And battles can happen for a variety of reasons other than controlling the area where the battle takes place.

This all makes for very fluid games with forces constantly repositioning themselves in a tactical dance to best exploit the opportunities on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
I'm confused, the title of the Original post refers to Blood Rage, but your question refers to Rising Sun...

Right. I tried to explain that I posted here because I noticed BR had a similar 'small map' look and was wondering how that played out in a game people have actually played! I added the bit about Rising Sun to provide context for why I was asking the question.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I've never played an area control game with a small map so I appreciate the insight into how it changes the game experience.

As with most things in life, it looks like it can be a very positive thing as long as I go in with the right expectation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronWLucas wrote:
So I'm fairly certain I want to back Rising Sun. With each update and video I'm feeling more and more convinced. There is one thing that I feel hesitant about...the map is so small!

I'm used to my area control games being more like A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition): lots of territories to expand into and fight over.

The reason I'm posting this here is that it looks like Blood Rage's map is 'small' also.

Can anyone speak to these concerns? Does it feel cramped in a bad way? Why or why not? Do the choices feel too limited and therefore too 'railroaded'?

(I tried searching for a similar question and couldn't find anything. Apologies if this has been asked before.)

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.