Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop now if you don't want to read anything about the first scenario in this box!

We just finished the first scenario (Muminofrah's Amusement), and found it to be a bit dull. The biggest disappointment is that we could have won the scenario without winning either the camel race itself, or the favor.

Only 1 cameltrops showed up, and when it did show up, it actually helped us. We won with 9 blessings and 2 cameltrops left in the deck. We defeated every monster and barrier, and left 2 boons in the location. We are a 2-hero party if that matters.

We ended up winning the race, but the race could have gone either way. (We were each rolling d8+d6+8 against the enemy's d8+d6+5). We also got the favor. We're keeping it for now, but we're not sure how useful it will be.

We didn't win any interesting boons, and the cultists only got 1 that we would have considered keeping.

I appreciate that this scenario had a very different structure from any other. But I'm bummed that we didn't actually have to win, to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.

Yeah, that is what it looks like.

You can make the scenario more challenging by:

-- Not considering the Cultist Charioteers' trophy stack when determining if the Finish Line is evaded. So: a CHARACTER's trophy stack has to have N cards or else the Finish Line is evaded.
-- Increase that N number.
-- Require that the loot end up in a CHARACTER's trophy stack in order for you to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
You can make the scenario more challenging by:
-- Not considering the Cultist Charioteers' trophy stack when determining if the Finish Line is evaded. So: a CHARACTER's trophy stack has to have N cards or else the Finish Line is evaded.

The evasion is actually keyed off of the cards left in the location deck, not on the size of any trophy stacks. Basically, you have to get through "most" of it. We encountered and evaded the finish line twice, so thematically I guess ours was a 3-lap race.

Quote:
-- Require that the loot end up in a CHARACTER's trophy stack in order for you to win.

Yeah, that seems like the best solution to me. But I don't know if it would be too difficult at some hero counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. (I'm not saying I was thinking of an earlier version of the scenario....)

I confirmed on the Paizo forum, with a designer (Keith Richmond), that this is a scenario you can't lose. (Work firewall prevents me getting that link to post it at the moment.) Seems pointless to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, technically you *could* lose by running out of time, but it seems like you would probably have to try to do so. Maybe if you're losing the race, and really want the loot, that would be a strategic move.

Thanks for checking on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
The biggest disappointment is that we could have won the scenario without winning either the camel race itself, or the favor.

Based on the fan-made Adventure Guide, this actually makes sense thematically. The "favor" we got for our impressive performance in the race is not actually the "favor" we need to advance our quest. They probably should have called this loot a "prize" rather than a "favor", to avoid that confusion.

This scenario was basically a chance for the heroes to pause, catch their breath, and have an easy time. I certainly don't mind having those occasionally, but this one was frustrating for a couple reasons:

1. With the "camel race" theme, it was an obvious (missed) opportunity to have the scenario *feel* like a race.

2. This was the first scenario when we would be removing BASIC cards from the game. But the way it's set up, you basically don't banish anything, so no cards got removed. I would have preferred the "catch your breath" scenario to have been in box 2, or 4, or at least later in 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, you could in theory lose. But the bar is set very low.

I see that it is true to the RPG, but I don't think it belongs in the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.