Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

I have been working on a game for the 2017 ButtonShy Wallet game design contest. My game is coming along nicely, however the contest is approaching the time where I will have to submit my game and I feel that my rules document could use some work.

The game is called The Perfect Moment, and it is about engineering a situation through time travel to come out the way that you want it to. The game supports 2 or 3 players (4 could technically play, but I worry that it would be over too quickly).

It takes 15 minutes to half an hour to play, and involves tableau management as well as set collection. It is a simple game, but has more strategy than the size of the game would seem to dictate.

The rule document is 3 pages right now, and can be found here:Rules Document. At that link you will also find PNP files if looking at the cards would help you understand the rules.

I currently have some GeekGold built up, so if anyone helped me to get this edited, I would be really appreciative.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once I looked at the cards, I understood the rules, but I would suggest adding a diagram of a card to the rules document.

I'd also suggest a way to track points. For example, face down horizontal for 2 points and face down vertical for four points.

Gun and Candy are inconsistent in terminology. Candy says to specifically look at the top cards of the deck, while Gun just says to look and doesn't say what cards.

Does Armor target other player's cards as well as your own? It doesn't specify, but "Owner" implies that it should.

What happens if you activate Keys, and use it to play another Keys, since you haven't drawn another card back into your hand yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added a few comments and suggestions to the document in the hope it helps.

Good luck with the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb
crinaya wrote:
Once I looked at the cards, I understood the rules, but I would suggest adding a diagram of a card to the rules document.

Thanks, I have done this.

crinaya wrote:
I'd also suggest a way to track points. For example, face down horizontal for 2 points and face down vertical for four points.

We have been using such a system when playtesting it, however I never apparently wrote it into the rules. Good catch! It will now be recorded.

crinaya wrote:
Gun and Candy are inconsistent in terminology. Candy says to specifically look at the top cards of the deck, while Gun just says to look and doesn't say what cards.

Thanks! I will make them consistent.

crinaya wrote:
Does Armor target other player's cards as well as your own? It doesn't specify, but "Owner" implies that it should.

Yes, it can target any card. I will make sure that this is clear.

crinaya wrote:
What happens if you activate Keys, and use it to play another Keys, since you haven't drawn another card back into your hand yet?

That is a good question. The player (in this case) wouldn't be able to play a card (having no cards in hand), and so they would not use the ability of the card that they didn't play.

The end of the chain of keys cards would, however draw them two cards, and so they would at least be in a consistent state (still having three cards). They would then play one of their two cards in hand to return to having two cards in front of them, and either take their next action or end their turn (depending on if the key-chain was their first action or second).

polyobsessive wrote:
I've added a few comments and suggestions to the document in the hope it helps.

Thanks! your comments were both extensive and well thought out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:

crinaya wrote:

That is a good question. The player (in this case) wouldn't be able to play a card (having no cards in hand), and so they would not use the ability of the card that they didn't play.

The end of the chain of keys cards would, however draw them two cards, and so they would at least be in a consistent state (still having three cards). They would then play one of their two cards in hand to return to having two cards in front of them, and either take their next action or end their turn (depending on if the key-chain was their first action or second).

Probably needs a rule clause that states something like "if unable to perform all parts of an action, perform all possible parts of the action, skipping the parts that can not be performed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.