Hide
1 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the King. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morn Arben
msg tools
The game began with 4 people, Crossroads, and preparations. I was playing very casually and had no intentions of making a serious bid for victory from the beginning, but I still hoped to do well. I took a character that allowed me to get one free item at each meal, and I planned to take an item strategy, getting maybe a panorama along the way. On the very first turn, Gray stole the Village spot I had been aiming for, grabbing a legendary item that awarded him one point per item. A competitor. I was able to get to the second village, and got an exact copy of his item. There was some hooting at the confrontational nature of this play. The other two players got the usual haul of paintings, hot springs, and calligraphy cards. Over the next two days, I continued buying items and scraping by on coins. My most tragic moment was when I used the health amulet on a farm, hoping for some huge money, but losing it all for a net gain of 1 coin, only making back the coin I spent on the amulet in the first place. Gray had three amulets and a healthy amount of items (but nothing compared to my stash), and the other two had been building the bigger panoramas and collecting Hot Springs. When we got to the final day, I bought a couple more items at the first inn, barely got to the farm to buy my last meal, and headed into the food with a comfy 10 point lead. Bizarrely, Purple jumped to the last village, but he had coins to burn and the 9 points were in retrospect worth more than what he jumped over. This was all well and good, were it not for Gray. It was his final move, he had nowhere to go but the Inn, but he had three amulets. He played one to allow him to occupy the same Village Purple was on, then played Health to allow him to take both actions, then played another to make his coins go to the temple. He then bought 3 items, completing a set, and a legendary item to make a 5 card set. The temple donations also put him into the top spot for temple donations, and he also held the calligraphy card that gave him points for items. Furthermore, this gave him the one extra item he needed to gain the collector achievement. Then, he went to the inn and bought his food. All in all, this turn was worth a total of 51 points.

I have heard the term "end your whole career" used before, but I never thought it would happen to me. I don't know how to describe this feeling - it's not sadness in any way, more of a combination of sheer awe and wonder, combined with the calm that comes with acceptance, a profound and quiet calm, knowing that while I can never again play Tokaido, my time with the game has been ended with full and complete closure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.