Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How essential are the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobak Oft
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I was about to pull the trigger and buy the base game of civilization but I was wondering if expansion are really that essential to have? I would pick them up with the base game, but every store that I have looked at online is out of stock of both expansions. Also if the expansions are essential, is there any way I can incorporate some of there rules to my base game without having them?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 2nd expansion - Wisdom and Warfare - is essential, as it rebalances a lot and most importantly fixes the very swingy unit decks.

I guess you could manage without it, by treating the values on the base game unit cards as health, and assigning them the corresponding attack value. So a "1" infantry would become a "3/1" infantry, a "2" a "2/2", and a "3" a "1/3".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it really depends what kind of player you are. I think if you would call yourself a casual player then the expansions are not necessary. The base game offers a lot of replay value as is. If you are however a demanding player in general then yes both the expansions are an almost essential addition as they balance battles and add deeper elements to the game. I am a demanding player so I love the expansions, but I also often play with casual players without the extra material and we still have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobak Oft
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah that's a real bummer, I hope they reprint the expansions soon!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't pick up the expansions I would do what ben kyo suggested, plus I would make/print/draw the government cards from the wisdom and warfare expansion. You can find a picture of them on the page of the expansion.
To me this change alone balances a lot and if you ever get the expansion you wont have to get used to new governments.

About casual players playing civ, they usually don't come back after their first game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cloyd Rauch
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I think the 2nd expansion - Wisdom and Warfare - is essential, as it rebalances a lot and most importantly fixes the very swingy unit decks.

I just want to emphasize this. I have played: the base 5 times, W&W 3 times, and F&F + W&W twice.

I could live without the F&F. It does make the Cultural victory tangible, but not necessary.

W&W, however, I cannot live without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both essential, IMO. W&W perhaps more so, but the new civilizations, metropolises, technologies, and other things introduced in F&F are also big game changers. And while there are power balance issues I do really enjoy the Great People deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grunthal
msg tools
In February there were a couple people on eBay selling base plus two expansions together. I recommend buying from one of them. I already had base and FF. Couldn't convince either of them to sell me WW by itself. So i bought an Italian version from a dealer in Italy. I've learned a lot of Italian since then. ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.