5 Posts

Watson & Holmes» Forums » General

Subject: Are the cases based on the books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I scanned the forums and didn't see a title related to this so here go's..

1. Are the cases based on the original Arthur Canon Doyle stories? If so will familiarity with them spoil the game?

2. How "dark" are the game cases? The original stories were fairly light and focused mainly on theft or murder without getting graphic. Case #8 looks like it has spiritualism themes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
I scanned the forums and didn't see a title related to this so here go's..

1. Are the cases based on the original Arthur Canon Doyle stories? If so will familiarity with them spoil the game?

2. How "dark" are the game cases? The original stories were fairly light and focused mainly on theft or murder without getting graphic. Case #8 looks like it has spiritualism themes.

The cases are not based on the original Conan Doyle stories. So there is no danger of them being spoiled by prior knowledge from that source. As to "dark", I don't believe they are at all. No graphic violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
rod3556lhs wrote:

The cases are not based on the original Conan Doyle stories. So there is no danger of them being spoiled by prior knowledge from that source. As to "dark", I don't believe they are at all. No graphic violence.

I really want to get into a deduction/story game but most of them have thematic issues my gg would pass on. I really like the Sherlock Holmes universe,(the books, not the modern tv show) and I hope they might give this one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
rod3556lhs wrote:

I really want to get into a deduction/story game but most of them have thematic issues my gg would pass on. I really like the Sherlock Holmes universe,(the books, not the modern tv show) and I hope they might give this one a try.

Just curious, but what do you mean by most SH games having "thematic issues"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
dvader123 wrote:
adam wilson wrote:
rod3556lhs wrote:

Just curious, but what do you mean by most SH games having "thematic issues"?

I meant the genre in general. Gruesome, bloody or mystical art work and theme are a real turn off for us. Realistic and Historical themes usually go over well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.