Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Concern on cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Thomas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by this game but have to be honest I'm a bit worried we as backers will be paying a premium for a game that will end up being in that 40-50 range on an etailer site not long after delivery.

Am I wrong and if so why?
I love the theme and art on this one but the price point is bothering me for some reason. I'm sad to see so many KS projects are sliding toward a 70-110$ price point for semmingly the same stuff that would typically be in a 40-50$ game

So am I wrong in this case? I want to hear some opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irishroar wrote:
I'm intrigued by this game but have to be honest I'm a bit worried we as backers will be paying a premium for a game that will end up being in that 40-50 range on an etailer site not long after delivery.

Am I wrong and if so why?
I love the theme and art on this one but the price point is bothering me for some reason. I'm sad to see so many KS projects are sliding toward a 70-110$ price point for semmingly the same stuff that would typically be in a 40-50$ game

So am I wrong in this case? I want to hear some opinions.

It's a risk you take i guess. I've had the same thoughts but games can be expensive to buy in NZ, not to mention they are not always stocked. So for me it's a calculated gamble on whether to buy or not. In this case it's yes. I love the artwork and the theme.

So more often than not KS is the best option for me. You have to be careful also about what you back as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Leuven
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same and that is the reason I am still in doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely possible that the game will end up in that price bracket. However, keep in mind that Kickstarter is an investment moreso than an online store. I think it is reasonable to expect to pay a bit more in order to help ensure the game is funded. In exchange, you get a chance to have an influence over the game (Naming rides and other pun-related activities) as well as (probably) earlier access to it.

Kickstarter creators should be creating pledge tiers with something similar to the following in mind: "If I have X number of people back at Y amount, I will be able to successfully create this game." Rather than: "This is the amount that I think I will charge for the game at retail." That X and Y number need to be balanced to a point where the creator reasonably thinks they'll be able to get that many backers at that pledge amount. Otherwise, everyone goes home empty-handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes any difference to you, they've said definitively that the Deluxe version will never be available for retail. Now, whether the standard version ever retails for < its $60 price on KS, I don't know (or care really). I'm stoked for the Deluxe version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This. The deluxe version will not be available at retail. So, if you don't need/want the extra goodies, you could wait for the retail version.

heathbarATL wrote:
If it makes any difference to you, they've said definitively that the Deluxe version will never be available for retail. Now, whether the standard version ever retails for < its $60 price on KS, I don't know (or care really). I'm stoked for the Deluxe version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.