Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I am in the wrong spot, I apologize.

I am wondering what most people would consider an acceptable amount of time to pass from an auction ending, to seller receiving payment, to items actually being shipped, before putting in a no items received dispute with paypal.

Auction ended just over a week ago. Items were put up, I confirmed, he responded with the total with shipping, I confirmed and payed. Then nothing for 8 days now. I sent a gm two days ago and, well I guess, it is yesterday now my time.

I realize life happens and all, but I would think running an auction runs a bit different from buying from the market. You know it's going to end on a certain date and should be ready for all the payments around the same times. How long would you wait before disputing the transaction with paypal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Oreolus wrote:

I am wondering what most people would consider an acceptable amount of time to pass from an auction ending, to seller receiving payment, to items actually being shipped, before putting in a no items received dispute with paypal.

Auction ended just over a week ago. Items were put up, I confirmed, he responded with the total with shipping, I confirmed and payed. Then nothing for 8 days now. I sent a gm two days ago and, well I guess, it is yesterday now my time.

I realize life happens and all, but I would think running an auction runs a bit different from buying from the market. You know it's going to end on a certain date and should be ready for all the payments around the same times. How long would you wait before disputing the transaction with paypal?

I'd cut him some slack if either you or him is on the East coast. I've got several packages delayed right now by weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oreolus wrote:

no need to apologize but maybe you want...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/24/boardgamegeek/geekbay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
8 days?

Don't dispute something on a decent website afer 8 days.

Hell amazon takes 8 days if I take the slow ahipping. Musician's feiend takes longer half the time. Coolstuff can take a week.

Paypal will side with you if you get screwed a month from now. Just chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Oreolus wrote:

no need to apologize but maybe you want...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/24/boardgamegeek/geekbay

I thought that forum was specifically for posting auctions and this one for sales. I know the east coast is getting a bit hammered, but not the location I am buying from. Sorry, doing my best to not name names.

Quote:
8 days?

Don't dispute something on a decent website afer 8 days.
Hell amazon takes 8 days if I take the slow ahipping. Musician's feiend takes longer half the time. Coolstuff can take a week.
Paypal will side with you if you get screwed a month from now. Just chill

Honestly, if I had bought through the market, like an actual listing there, I could be more reasonable. This was an auction with a set end. Communication was fine right up until I payed. 8 days with no communication after payment makes me want to chill less.

I understand the slow shipping for other sites when that is what I pay for. I am saying I have had no communication or shipping confirmation for 8 days after payment. Amazon and Coolstuff let you know when they send things after payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8 days is far too long for you not to have heard anything. It's suspicious if not rude. Why not start by emailing some of the other high bidders and see if they're in the same boat. After 10 days, I'd be contacting PayPal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From some recent market sales ive had, i ask all communication and payment be done within 3 days, everyone responded in less than a day.... I feel thats pretty good. I know if it was the other way around, i wouldnt keep the seller waiting plus id want my game shipped asap.

As far as shipping goes tho, then yes, sometimes you have to wait. Remember that people on here are usually running auctions solo, they dont have an entire shipping department to do labels, packaging, and shipping for them. As long as theres constant communication throughout, its ok in my book. Plus a tracking number of course.

Ive yet to see anyone go to the lengths I go to tho when handling a sale ((item shipping out in 2 hrs after sale, with pics of all packaging, final label, and copy of post office receipt)) I do indeed provide ridiculous service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it show as shipped in the geekmarket?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/purchases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Does it show as shipped in the geekmarket?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/account/purchases

When I had first started this topic, no it had not. Funnily enough, a few hours later, I have a gm and a tracking number. So will see how this ends up in a few days.

Again, I don't mind shipping taking a while (I have another box stuck in limbo due to a wrong digit in zip for over a month now), it was the lack of communication along with the lack of shipping that was bothering me. Also, I feel awkward contacting others in an auction, especially if they may have beaten me to the punch on a few items.blush Dunno why, just do.

Thanks all for the replies, hopefully this issue is now resolved and my answer is 8 days is the maximum amount of time to wait for auction communications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One last thing as I try to sleep and brain won't let me. I have actually placed an order with Coolstuff in this same time frame using their free shipping and have received it. There was also an error in the order, and even though I contacted them via email on the weekend, I still received a reply about the mistake the next day. So, now that is out of my head, hopefully I can rest now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the lack of communication that makes this unacceptable to me. Life happens, but at least drop a note saying you're delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
It's the lack of communication that makes this unacceptable to me. Life happens, but at least drop a note saying you're delayed.

I agree with this, but my sense is that lots of others don't.. some people are just not customer service oriented.. and don't empathize with the anxiety others have from lack of communication...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oreolus wrote:

even knowing you are running an auction, there are limited times you can run by the post office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
even knowing you are running an auction, there are limited times you can run by the post office.

I don't agree with that. I mean, if you know you can only ship on Saturdays, for one, state that in the auction and two, tailor your auction to accommodate when you can ship. You have a better idea of your schedule than the buyers, you should be able to let them know what is going on. At that point, it is just being courteous. That whole, treat others the way you want to be treated thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oreolus wrote:
Quote:

I don't agree with that. I mean, if you know you can only ship on Saturdays, for one, state that in the auction and two, tailor your auction to accommodate when you can ship. You have a better idea of your schedule than the buyers, you should be able to let them know what is going on. At that point, it is just being courteous. That whole, treat others the way you want to be treated thing.

Dude, it's an individual. Not a retail store. It's not like they are geared up to send it out the day you send them the money.

It's only been 8 days, not 30.

Treat others the way you'd like to be treated. Exactly, relax and don't be impatient. See there are two ways to look at treating people the way you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you read the other posts, I am not expecting same day shipping. All I was wanting was some communication after payment was received. I don't understand why that is unreasonable to you. Over a week with nothing? Again, I would expect a note, which I had sent, treating them the way I wanted to be treated. I also waited six days to send that note. If your idea of patience is to wait thirty days after giving a payment to receive any information about your purchase, you must be a saint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oreolus wrote:
If you read the other posts, I am not expecting same day shipping. All I was wanting was some communication after payment was received. I don't understand why that is unreasonable to you. Over a week with nothing? Again, I would expect a note, which I had sent, treating them the way I wanted to be treated. I also waited six days to send that note. If your idea of patience is to wait thirty days after giving a payment to receive any information about your purchase, you must be a saint.

I think whats more telling is when the last time the person logged in to BGG.. you can check this by going to their profile. Its bad enough when you send someone a trade request and they don't respond, but you can tell they've logged in. If you've already agreed upon a deal, price, trade or whatever, and you send someone some money or a game and if they log onto BGG, they should at least send you a gm to acknowledge receipt of funds, especially if you send them a note asking them too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, the size of the auction makes a huge difference in what kind of turn around people can expect. I run a huge group auction a few times a year. With 200+ items, you usually end up with 80ish buyers, most of those require shipping. It'll take me around 40 hours from the close of the auction to get everyone's shipping information, pack everything up, measure and weigh everything, put together shipping quotes, get money, and finally ship and update with tracking info. Usually I'll take off a day or two just to do all the packing. The info part can drag out if they buyer doesn't get back to me, and honestly when you have 80ish people emailing you on the bgg mail system, it's easy for things to get lost (the search feature is rubbish). So 1-2 weeks isn't unreasonable from auction close to getting your package.

On the other hand, if I'm selling 10 things, it'll take about an hour to do all of that work. So I could close on a Saturday night and give you tracking info Monday afternoon (since the post office is closed on Sunday).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think what keeps getting overlooked here, I understand it takes a while to ship things out. I do not expect same day/next day shipping when buying from people that are not running an actual business. I guess what my main point was, how long after submitting your payment do you expect any sort of communication from the seller.

If the seller offers BINs, should you expect the seller to be on more frequently than normal to see if someone has bought an item? Should the buyer just wait until the end of the auction for an item they paid for as Buy It Now? I feel anything over a week should be given a note at the least of what is going on. It's just courtesy. The person gave you payment for what you were selling, let them know what is going on. I am not saying I want a minute to minute update. I expect it to take a couple weeks for the shipment to arrive. Just like I expect any free shipping from a big retailer to take more than 3-5 business days. I do not expect to not hear anything from the seller after communicating total with shipping and being paid for a week.

Maybe I should of posted the question of why is it so hard to communicate when we no longer have to rely on an actual messenger carrying the message. I could of also asked if I sound unreasonable for waiting a week after paying a random stranger if I could have some shipping information (when or if it has already been shipped).

I am going to stop monitoring this thread, I feel I have gotten the answers I needed? Any lack of communication over a week after sending payment, just make a post and it will be resolved. Some think one way, others think another. I thank all that have replied to this post. For any searching a similar topic in the future, my advice is one week after payment being sent, then make your post to get a tracking number.

Again, not sarcastically, thanks for all who have replied, even those I disagreed with. I wanted different viewpoints from my own and got them.

Thank you.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think people are going to disagree that it's obnoxious and below average for what a bgg user probably communicates.

But it doesn't mean you're getting scammed either which was your original question.

I'm only 32 and I can still remember walking to the post office to get a money order to buy stuff mail order that would take weeks to arrive. Our communication fetish is a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.