Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Imran
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a terrible memory. This evening, I accidentally visited a tile that belonged to my opponent. The moment I flipped it, I realized that I'd already used a die earlier in the game to look at that tile.

Does anyone do anything to remember which tiles you've looked at? Maybe marking the tiles with markers so you can check them again? Maybe make a note on your phone or take a photo?

Or is this against the spirit of the game? Should I just have to remember and if I forget because of my terrible memory, TOOBAD!!!!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, my gf takes notes on her phone of which is which. I dont mind, doesnt matter. However I dont. I usually move up to tiles and just flip em without peeking first and just hope for the best lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't had this problem. Another possible solution would be to acquire some small cubes in each player's color and put one of them on any island you have looked at but not exposed to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
We haven't had this problem. Another possible solution would be to acquire some small cubes in each player's color and put one of them on any island you have looked at but not exposed to everyone.

The problem with that is the player colors are also offering colors, so you'd present a new problem, with people thinking there are new offering islands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Pasato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could use some small round markers as those that come with Tokaido or Tzolk'in (if you own these games), to mark island tiles you have already looked at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you tend to forget, I would say "don't peek." In all the games I played, I have only used this option at most one time and usually none. The times I use it is toward the end of the game when there are only 2 or 3 undiscovered tiles left (which should be easy to remember).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercockroach wrote:
I have a terrible memory. This evening, I accidentally visited a tile that belonged to my opponent. The moment I flipped it, I realized that I'd already used a die earlier in the game to look at that tile.

Does anyone do anything to remember which tiles you've looked at? Maybe marking the tiles with markers so you can check them again?

In my first published game, Terra Prime, there's a way to explore face down space hexes, and one friend of mine could not stand the idea of forgetting what he'd seen, so he insisted on using some glass beads to mark the tiles he'd looked at so he could re-look whenever he needed to.

That turned into an annoying mess, as there were beads all over the board, and peeking at the tiles (having to pick up the tile and the bead, and potentially someone else's bead) just got ridiculous very quickly.

I highly recommend AGAINST that for this reason. If you don't think you'll remember then don't peek. If you do peek, decide what aspect you care about (color vs letter/effect) and instead of remembering exactly what's on there, simply remember "I want to go there" or "I don't want to go there" - maybe that will make things easier for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
We did not intend to make this a memory issue (or reward that skill) within the game.
Peeking was simply necessary to give you (the player) a hidden information.
We did not include any further rules on this, on purpose. (As such, taking notes in not explicitly forbidden.)

If your group is fine with taking notes during a game, feel free to do so.

Martin
for H@llgames, translator of Delphi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you aren't using the pillar variant, one option could be to use the blue/yellow/red/green pillars as markers for each player. In this capacity you could re-peek at the most recently peeked tile you have placed the pillar at.

At least then you're using pieces that came with the game and not having to resort to other means. (I suppose you could also additionally use the wood ships as peek markers if you have the cardboard ships, but that might get more confusing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.