Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
The personal quest called "A Helping Hand" has this requirement:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Experience two other characters achieving their personal quests.

That doesn't really scale well, though, right? With a 2p campaign, I'd have to wait for my companion to complete two personal quests, each of which can be quite a long time to accomplish, it would seem. After two scenarios, my daughter's character is about 1/10 to her particular quest's goal. Could be a long long time until she completes one quest, and then would need to fulfill an entirely different one before mine could be fulfilled.

I really want to access that
musician
character, though, so I think I'm going to house rule it somehow for 2p.

What would you suggest to fill in this blank?

"Experience one other character achieving their personal quest, and ---------------."

So that way, it's not merely the other player getting their quest and I also get mine, but also not waiting an entire who knows how long for them to fulfill a second quest.

EDIT: I just realized that my commentary outside of the spoiler tags essentially describes the card, anyway. Well, not as directly, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Personally, if playing 2 player exclusively, and only running one character each, I'd just change the "two" to "one", and call it good. Some of the personal quests are going to take at least 10 games if not more, and with only 2 people you're already behind the curve in unlocking stuff.

I've been playing either solo (with 2 characters), or 2 player (one character each), but I created 3 characters for myself, and pick which one(s) to play based on whether or not it's going to contribute towards their retirement. I think this is going to allow us to unlock stuff a little faster, and get to play more characters in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you choose this goal in the first place ?
An easy, and by the rule, solution, would be to create a new character and draw 2 new life goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Personally, if playing 2 player exclusively, and only running one character each, I'd just change the "two" to "one", and call it good.

Eh, I think it should still require *something* else, even just something relatively easy. Otherwise, we'll get two retirements at exactly the same time. Which might be fine, I suppose. But in most cases, it's probably more likely to stagger a bit.

So for example, maybe one other character achieves their quest -and- I have to level up again. Depending on the timing of that, I might be close to leveling up again, anyway, or may have just recently leveled, so I'd have to wait longer (though probably not nearly as long as waiting for a second player quest to be completed).

That's just one example. Could be some other thing. But I think I'd prefer it be something at least a little beyond just one character completing their quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
An easy, and by the rule, solution, would be to create a new character and draw 2 new life goals.

Because I want that character unlocked. As soon as I saw that envelope I was interested. And then I happened to draw that card as one of the quests. Who knows if that character is available any other way.

I'm okay house ruling it. Doesn't seem to be well scaled as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
House rule seems fine to me. I'd do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Quote:
Personally, if playing 2 player exclusively, and only running one character each, I'd just change the "two" to "one", and call it good.

Eh, I think it should still require *something* else, even just something relatively easy. Otherwise, we'll get two retirements at exactly the same time. Which might be fine, I suppose. But in most cases, it's probably more likely to stagger a bit.

You get two retirements at exactly the same time with the card as it is laugh

Grudunza wrote:
That's just one example. Could be some other thing. But I think I'd prefer it be something at least a little beyond just one character completing their quest.

Definitely, play it how you'd prefer it. I doubt many people would begrudge you house-ruling that quest in a (permanent) 2 player situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be this would be better imo:

Experience one Character get retiere and another achiving 1 Perk by Battle Goals.

For 2 Player only.

I mean so comes the "helping" hand in a better context with the story.

BR Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

Because I want that character unlocked. As soon as I saw that envelope I was interested. And then I happened to draw that card as one of the quests. Who knows if that character is available any other way.

I'm okay house ruling it. Doesn't seem to be well scaled as it is.

Most characters are unlockable in various ways.
Another solution (the one I am using) is creating a new character and play two heroes at the same time (I play mainly solo with 3 heroes, and I have the same quest as you)

But it's your game, so feel free to house rule it as you like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:

Most characters are unlockable in various ways.

Clarity on that.
There are two quests to unlock all characters and I think three ways for the sun symbol and dark circles symbol.

Outside of house-ruling it, I suggest
going through the personal quest deck until you find the other music symbol class quest. It's not as long as the on you have. The reqs are
get 15 checkmarks
which is simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

Outside of house-ruling it, I suggest
going through the personal quest deck until you find the other music symbol class quest. It's not as long as the on you have. The reqs are
get 15 checkmarks
which is simpler.

I like this suggestion and will probably just do that. It will still take me quite a while at the pace I'm going, but not two quite-a-whiles.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think my original issue stands, with the card not scaling well. But as long as the Gloomhaven version of Jimi Hendrix can be unlocked at a reasonable pace, that's fine with me.

Awesome game, btw. Loving this system so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I agree that this card doesn't scale super well, but I think with so much content spanning so many different mechanics, it's still pretty amazing how well the game works with all player counts. A couple of things aren't so well with 2 players, but there are ways around many of them (in this case, you could have chosen a different retirement goal).

You also have to take into account what your expectations are with the game. If you are hoping to unlock and see everything in one campaign, than you have very different expectations than if you are hoping to level up your heroes as powerfully as you can, so that you can fully explore the cards/combos of your favorite characters. Each mentality will require you to choose different things, some of which you may not want.

If your goal is to unlock as much as possible, I'd also house rule that when you are picking retirement cards, you can discard and redraw cards for characters you have already unlocked. I know that the rules address unlocking characters that are already unlocked (random items), but especially when playing 2 player, you already know it's going to take longer to unlock everything, so you should make some accommodations to help things go as smoothly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.