Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fin Fang Foom custom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Upper Deck aren't going to make a Monsters Unleashed expansion then I guess I'll have to start working on it myself (though it would help if I had read the comics or knew anything about the characters or storyline). I'm starting with Fin Fang Foom. To represent him being a big, city level threat he comes as both a Mastermind and a Villain group. I don't know too much about him so I just went for big monster whose major weakness is his ridiculous purple pants.

For mechanics I've drawn a little on Savior which I'll try and keep doing if I do more Monsters so they tie together well, and I've used a new key-word (which someone else suggested somewhere in some form):

Rampage: this effect happens each time a Villain moves from one city space into another. It does not happen when they first enter the city. Unless otherwise specified it only affects the current player. If multiple Rampage effects are triggered simultaneously, eg by a new Villain entering the city and pushing other Villains forward, resolve the effects from left to right (after resolving any Escape effects, but before any Ambush effect on the new Villain).

Mastermind
Fin Fang Foom
18* Attack
6 VPs
Fin Fang Foom gets -1 Attack for each Fin Fang Foom Villain in your Victory Pile
Always leads: Fin Fang Foom
Master Strike: The highest Attack Fin Fang Foom Villain in players' Victory Piles enters the Sewers.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cc/cc/26/cccc...

Tactics:

Supersonic flight
Fight: Starting with the current player and going clockwise, each player who is not a Saviour plays a Fin Fang Foom Villain from their Victory Pile into the City.

Regenerative Hibernation
Fight: If this is not the final tactic, rescue 3 bystanders and shuffle it into the Villain deck. When it is played from the Villain deck, shuffle it into the remaining tactics, and then perform Fin Fang Foom's Master Strike. If his remaining tactics are defeated before this happens, good wins.

Purple Pants
Fight: when this tactic is in your Victory Pile, Fin Fang Foom gets -2 Attack on your turn.

Slow Digestion
Fight: Rescue a Bystander from the KO pile for each Fin Fang Foom Villain or Tactic in your Victory Pile (including this one).

Fin Fang Foom Villain group

Fin Fang Stomp!
6 Attack
4 VP
Rampage: KO a Hero from your discard pile.
http://orig04.deviantart.net/e490/f/2015/173/a/5/224173_3942...

Fin Fang Chomp! 3 copies
5 Attack
3 VP
Rampage: Reveal a Strength Hero or KO a Bystander from your Victory Pile.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZnMhf7YXpsc/V-Wm_mKp0pI/AAAAAAAA7...

Fin Fang Boom!
7 Attack
5 VP
Rampage: Reveal a Ranged Hero or discard a card from your hand.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/10/da/b3/10dab359c...

Fin Fang...Purple Pants? 1 copy
3 Attack
1 VP
While this Villain is in the city, all other Fin Fang Foom Villains get -1 Attack.
Fight: If the Purple Pants Mastermind Tactic is in another player's Victory Pile, you may put it in your own Victory Pile.
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/58788/118937...

Feedback and help finding art welcome. Not playtested (but I'm looking forward to doing that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game with Captain America, Iron Man and Hawkeye and the Massive Earthquake Generator scheme. Was working really well, but I lost to the scheme too quickly to really get a sense of it. Looking forward to trying again with a different set-up, I was really liking how Rampage worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my second game with this and it was epic.

M: Fin Fang Foom
S: Crush them with my bare hands
V: Fin Fang Foom, It came from space*, Magma Men
H: Silk, Star Lord, Captain America (Falcon)

I won on turn 16 with 7 Master Strikes out. It helped that I drew purple pants as the first Mastermind tactic, but then the second was the hibernation one, so I had to get the last two (plus final blow) before it came back out of the Villain deck (and triggered the final master strike). Thankfully, by that point I had a good Star Lord engine going and between his Shards and Sam Wilson's Star Spangled Hero I had enough attack to manage it.

I felt like the hibernation thing was a nice twist on the 'if this is not the final tactic' mechanic, and with that and his initially high attack, dropping to lower values late game, I found it made for an exciting end-of-game where he seems within reach, if the Villain deck will just give you a couple more turns...

I have added a Fight effect to the Purple Pants Villain card, that won't affect solo play but might be fun in multi-player, could stop one player from running away with it.

*'It came from space' are another monster themed villain group I'm working on. Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like this concept, in particular that it emphasizes that Fin Fang Foom is a team all by himself. I've wondered why that idea hadn't been used yet, but I suspect that characters that could have gone that way (Thanos, Wasteland Hulk) do in fact have tools or allies that do their bidding, so they should up along with their bosses.

I noticed that FFF gets a nod from the massively powerful Masterminds Galactus and Thanos, and that is an interesting power. Personally I enjoy the opposite concept more, but this is a great idea. Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another play test, a bit of a custom fest:

Scheme was Corrupt the Next Generation of Heroes and Heroes were my customs of Dr Strange, Kamala Khan, and Venom.

Kind of weird game, only 2 twists in 17 turns.
I won, but it made me think Dr Strange was a bit over-powered so I've edited him.
Still liked how Fin Fang Foom played.

He looks tough at the start, but he's not too difficult really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm. I've read two stories with Fin Fang Foom, but that could either be in keeping with his character or a sign that your customs are too buff.

The stories I read about triple F were one where Armor and some X-Men fight him (though it's really almost entirely Armor) and then check out Monster Island, and also FFF's first appearance where a Chinese man wakes him up to manipulate him into laying waste to a large group of soldiers and a few of their machines (a couple boats and a tank, I think).

I honestly don't know how powerful FFF is, though I know he's usually tricked into doing someone else's bidding. If his appearances have a trend of seeming powerful but ultimately not being a big deal, you did your job better than I expected. If not, more play-testing would be wise to find out if he should have a larger starting Attack. Once again, my knowledge of him is nowhere close to the task.

I wouldn't be opposed to FFF's starting Attack being brought to Thanos' level, but I think Thanos is supposed to be in a class all by himself. I do recall, however, that Thanos is not easy but manageable if none of his Gems escape, and I suspect that FFF's minions are not as potent as Gems, so we can probably assume that FFF will almost always get weaker as the game continues. If you want a quick check on FFF's power, you could ask yourself how strong he should be compared to Thanos and adjust accordingly.

Edit: I just read your 'villain team' for FFF and they are definitely inferior to Gems. I didn't do any play-testing in the last two minutes, but I think you could easily raise FFF's Attack to 20 and not worry about the consequences. I think FFF would not be too nasty if you hiked his Attack to 22 or 24. Personally I would go with 20 or 22 since I doubt he's supposed to be in the same class as Thanos, but don't think an Attack of 20 would somehow cheapen Galactus' power, as their ways to be weakened are so radically different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.