United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you theHunterD13 for creating playtest files! Ringmaster v2 B&W.pdf

The Ringmaster
HP: 23
Base Power: Next Act!
Power: Reveal cards from the top of your deck until a Performer is revealed and put it into play. Shuffle other revealed cards back into your deck. You may use that Performer's power.

Incapacitated:
While at least one Performer is in play, continue playing without the Ringmaster as if you were not Incapacitated.
Otherwise:
- One hero deals one non-hero 2 melee damage.
- One other hero may use a power now.
- One hero may play a card.

Performer (x10)
-----------------------------

Fritz, the Strongman
HP: 5
Reduce damage dealt to the Strongman by 1.
Power: Fritz deals 1 target 3 melee damage.
"I worked hard for these muscles, I should use them." - Fritz, From the Mists #2

Crackers, the Clown
HP: 3
Power: Select a target. Increase damage dealt to that target by 1 until the start of your next turn.
"Someone get this distracting pest out of my face!" - Baron Blade, From the Mists #5

Melissa, the Animal Tamer
HP: 4
Hero targets are immune to damage dealt by Animals.
Power: Increase all damage dealt by Animals by 1 until the end of the turn. You may use an Animal's power.
"Steady, steady... and, go!" - Melissa, From the Mists #2

Isabella, the Acrobat
HP: 6
You may redirect damage from any Performer to Isabella.
Power: Isabella deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Reduce damage dealt to Isabella by 1 until the start of your next turn.
"I think I can arrange a distraction. Watch this!" - Isabella, From the Mists #2

Maya, the Knife-Thrower
HP: 5
If Maya is dealt damage, she cannot deal damage until the end of your next turn.
Power: Maya deals up to 3 targets 2 projectile damage.
"Throwing blindfolded is easy, if you'd all stop jostling me! - Maya, Plummet #2

Toby, the Juggler
Power: Draw a card. Toby deals up to 3 targets 1 projectile damage.
"Let's add another juggling pin, shall we?" - Toby, From the Mists #1

Vladimir, the Unicyclist
Power: Discard a card. If you do, choose a non-character card target. That target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
"Ha! Can't catch me! Come and try!" - Vladimir, Plummet #4

Laura, the Piper
Power: Laura deals 1 target 1 sonic damage. If you have not played a Glamour card this game, each player draws a card.
"As usual, Laura will signal to coordinate." - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

Martina, the Gymnast
Power: Martina deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Target other player may play a card.
"I'll vault you up, and then you can reach!" - Martina, From the Mists #5

Steele, the Fire Dancer
Steele is immune to fire damage.
Power: Steele deals 1 target 2 fire damage. Draw a card.
"Steele, make a spectacle for the crowd. This fire's particularly delicious." - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

Performer, Animal (x5)

Emily, the Horse
HP: 7
When Emily comes into play, play her next to another Performer. You may redirect damage from that Performer to Emily.
At the end of your turn, you may discard a card to activate that Performer's Power, snd if Emily the Horse is not next to a Performer, return her to your hand.
Power: Emily deals 1 target 1 melee damage.
"Once again, but this time, on horseback!" - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

Izem, the Lion
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do not, Izem deals all targets 1 sonic damage.
Power: Izem deals 1 target 2 melee damage.
"Izem, keep quiet and focus, we have work to do." - Melissa, From the Mists #3

Boris, the Dancing Bear
HP: 9
The first time each turn that Boris is dealt damage, Boris deals the source of that damage 3 melee damage.
Power: Discard a card. If you do, draw a card and use a power.
"Boris is very playful, as long as he's well-treated." - Melissa, From the Mists #3

Penelope, the Elephant
HP: 11
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do not, Penelope deals all other Performers 1 melee damage.
Reduce damage dealt to Penelope by 1.
Power: Penelope deals 1 target 3 melee damage.
"And now, our performers will form a human pyramid atop the sturdy back of our lovely Penelope!" - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #1

Roscoe, the Monkey
HP: 3
Power: Choose an Equipment card in play. Move that Equipment card into your play area until the end of your next turn, then return it. Replace all instances on that card of another hero’s name with “Roscoe.” You may use a Power.
"Roscoe, no!" - Melissa, From the Mists #1

One-Shot (x18)

Three Ring Extravaganza (x4)
Draw a card.
Use a Power now.
"And now I draw your attention to the center ring. Watch closely; this will happen fast!" - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #1

Feats of Daring (x3)
Draw a card.
One Performer deals 1 target 2 melee damage.
You may play a card.
"If this is the end, I won't go out quietly!" - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #6

Flawless Choreography (x2)
Discard a card.
If you do, each Performer deals 1 target 1 melee damage and you may use a Power.
"One more time, everyone. We can't afford mistakes when we have an audience!" - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #3

High Wire (x2)
Select a Performer.
Until the start of your next turn, that performer is immune to damage.
"Step carefully, Emily, you're six stories up!" - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #4

Play to the Crowd (x3)
Draw two cards.
If you have not played a Glamour card this game, you may use a Power and play a card now.
"You'll find another Ringmaster. The thrill of applause is payment enough." - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #6

Intermission (x3)
Draw a card. All Performers regain 2 HP.
If you have not played a Glamour card this game, all hero targets regain 1 HP.
"And remember to visit our beautiful T-shirt stand in the lobby!" - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

Stunning Finale (x1)
Discard your hand. For each card discarded, you may use a Power.
If you have not played a Glamour card this game, draw three cards.
"A drum roll, please." - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

One-Shot, Glamour (x7)

From The Mists (x2)
Play a Performer. If you do, draw a card.
The Ringmaster may deal himself 2 infernal damage. If the Ringmaster takes damage this way, repeat the entire text of this card again.
"Once again, we arrive just before a catastrophe. Places, everyone! We're needed here." - The Ringmaster, Plummet #4

Eerie Encore (x3)
Move a Performer and a non-Glamour One-Shot from your trash and into play.
Each of your hero targets deals itself 1 infernal damage.
"I thought you'd killed that idiot on the unicycle!" - Baron Blade, From the Mists #5

Power of Illusion (x2)
You may draw a card.
You may play a card.
Until the start of your next turn, you may redirect damage from any Performer to any other Performer.
"We live by illusion, but illusions have a price." - The Ringmaster, From the Mists #6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Custom Hero: The Shadow Circus
Power Source: Skill, Magic
Birthplace: Varies

The Shadow Circus seems to fade into existence in times of trouble. They set up their tents and begin selling tickets to their shows while things are still quiet and peaceful, but within a few days, a problem happens. Their show is colorful and musical, but some find their arrival and appearance to be a terrible omen - many blame them for the very problems they are working to solve. Sometimes, an outsider in town leaves with the circus and is not seen until the next time the circus comes into town.

In truth, the leader of the Shadow Circus has dabbled with magic and the powers of illusion and divination. He (or she) guides the Shadow Circus through the roads to the next place where a problem will happen, and orchestrates his team to help stop the crisis.

While the Shadow Circus travels with only the noblest of motives, in time the Ringmaster’s magic demands a price. The Ringmaster becomes lost in illusions, especially when using the shadow magic too often, and eventually disappears entirely. When this happens, someone else is eventually recruited to take up the role of Ringmaster, and the show goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I swore I wouldn't post anymore until I made cards and playtested my past posts, but then my laptop was ruined by a spilled drink, so I figured I'd post another idea I had while I'm working on getting a laptop and getting Adobe Illustrator set up again.

This is intended to be a fairly flavorful direct-damage crew. Hopefully pretty simple to play, with mostly melee damage. The deck will spend a lot of cards sometimes on coordinated moves, then draw back up again with crowd-pleasing moves.

One special mechanic is that the deck represents all of the performers of the Circus, so when your main hero is incapacitated, you play on (but it gets harder to bring out more).

Performances each have a power, mostly simple attacks, and many have one special ability as well. Animal Performers are a little more likely to make trouble for other heroes, unless the Tamer is in play.

Another little mechanic is that a few cards are Shadow cards. These are powerful, but once you use even one of them, several of your other cards stop working as well. This is meant to convey that the Circus is spooky and has a little bit of eerie magic and illusion to them.

I think this is going to need a lot of playtesting, since it's doing something unusual. I think the damage is about on the same level as other direct-damage decks like Haka and Ra, but I'm not sure about the complexity and durability.

Comments very welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this hero sounds like he would be a lot of fun. I was confused at first that he had 15 health but it makes sense seeing how the deck works. I do think that this deck would need a lot of play testing. I really like the idea though! Reading through all of the performers, I don't see anything that catches my attention as something that is too powerful. I was thinking maybe Maya the Knife Thrower might be a little powerful if a villain doesn't really attack multiple things at once.

Also, I am not quite sure I understand when the Ringmaster is incapacitated. He plays the game like normal (Play a card, use a power, draw) but doesn't use his innate power? Does he only use the 3 incapacitated abilities once he is fully taken down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like this hero. So much flavor and uniqueness. I do feel that all the extra power use can get a little broken compared to other heroes, especially with always avoiding the lowest HP hero target attacks.

I feel that some of the cards need a little tweaking such as "Three Ring Extravaganza (x4) Use two Powers now." Cool card, it really is, but I feel it needs to be a tweaked for balancing issues. Maybe "Discard up to three cards. You may use an additional power for each card discarded this way." This I feel keeps with the feel of the extra draw in the deck and makes this a good card without being kind of Overpowered.

Personally, just my opinion, I feel like the clown should also help you draw an additional card each turn. Clowns just feel like good support as they are generally not main acts but in between and way so increase hype for the main performances. So why not help you get more out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for checking it out!

I'll work on making the Incapacitated rules clearer. The intent is that you keep playing when the Ringmaster is Incap, and can't use the Incap powers until all Performers are gone. If that's not clear, I need to fix it.

Most of the Performers do 1-3 damage. There are a few +1s in there, mostly the Clown. To get big end-game damage appropriate for a damage-centered deck, I mostly rely on using multiple powers per turn, which is why there are one-shots and powers that allow use of another power. If those chain too much, then there's a play balance problem.

My thought on the clown is that he distracts enemies, to make it easier for the rest of the circus to punch them, hence the damage. Card draw might make more sense, though.

I might just change Three Ring Extravaganza to be one extra power and then draw a card instead of just one extra power.

Balance-wise, I'm actually a little more concerned that the deck is too durable -- if it's too easy to keep pushing out more Performers, the deck might be unkillable. I tried to keep each Performer individually fragile to help with that, but some may still be too durable, especially the animals. I need to think about that.

I'll tinker a little more before I make playtest cards.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, reduced damage on the knife thrower to 3x2 instead of 3x3.

Based on suggestion, made the clown draw a card as a power instead of doing damage.

Also lowered a lot of HP scores across the board. I guess playing this deck will probably feel like being the moles in a game of Wack-a-Mole. Hopefully that can be done in a way that is fun and balanced -- that's the part that requires testing.

Also, raised the Ringmaster's HP to 23. I don't think that'll be a big balance issue, it just makes him feel a little more like a conventional hero. He's got enough complicated stuff already.

Also, changed "Shadow" to "Glamour" on the cards to give a sense that these are dangerous illusions, not like demons. Still does infernal damage and reduces the power of other abilities. It just fixes the flavor.

I considered changing the Horse so that other animals couldn't ride it, but I decided that a bear riding a horse on a high wire was EXACTLY in flavor for the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
If the clown's job is to distract an enemy you could instead give him a power like: Select a target. Increase damage dealt by performers to that target by 1 until the end of your next turn.
This would be not as strong as before, so don't change it if you think you need the general damage boost.

I think the lion could deal sonic damage instead of melee to represent a powerful roar! As I just saw, you than would also have to change Melissa a bit: Make her effect, that Hero targets are immune to damage dealt by animals. And her power increases damage dealt by animals by 1 until the end of the turn. Would make sense thematically. I don't know if there are any other decks with "animals" in them though.

Penelope doesn't need the "exactly" in her power text. The lack of "up to" already implies that.

Reducing the overall hp levels of the performers seems like a good idea. If think this has to be tested a bit, hard to judge from just reading the cards.

The theme and flavor of this deck are very very cool. I espcially like the shadow mechanic. When to play your first shadow card of the game will be an interesting descion each time you play with the circus! Geat work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, I like that for the clown! I changed it slightly so that the clown can distract for other heroes too.

Changed Izem the lion to add sonic damage for a roar (which hits everybody unless you discard a card), and a more focused melee attack.

Changed Melissa's ability to "Hero targets are immune to damage dealt by Animals." Technically that makes Animals immune to self-inflicted damage, but I'm okay with that. Melissa's there to stop animals from hurting themselves, even when the weird magic comes.

Changed Melissa's ability too. I like that suggestion, thank you!

Removed unnecessary exactly from Penelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
mb
YEEESSSSS!!!

I have wanted a circus themed hero for a long time. Cards and art must happen for this, even if I have to do them myself lol. (I would be happy to try and get some playtest cards together at some point PM if interested).

Looking over the cards briefly looks like a lot of fun and no real issues, I would suggest on Grande Finale though to put the Glamour line first. That way you can draw three more cards to your hand and have even more shenanigans to work with lol.

One question, in terms of theme since the show is called the Shadow Circus do you imagine the acts/performers to have a darker tone or Freak Show vibe, because that is what I'm imagining. Also if you are might I suggest a rename from Shadow Circus to Dark Carnivale?

Great stuff. Looking forward to trying this one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about when the Ringmaster gets incap. If all the other heroes are incap, is The Ringmaster still technically incap and the heroes lose? Going by the text you have for it, it sounds like The Ringmaster is not incapacitated until there are no performers. That could mean he would basically never die. There are a lot of performers that can be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe this hero concept could warrant a setup card like the sentinels have.
It could say:
Setup:
At the start of the game, put the ring master into play, active side up.
Gameplay:
If you have no Hero Targets in play, flip this card.

And on the back side of the setup card are your incap abilities, while the backside of the Ring Master would only read "incapacitated".

This way there would be no confuison as to when you are really out of the game etc. But it would of course not be the most elegant way. Setup cards are always a bit clunky in my mind. I think the deck works fine as is, as the intent is clear to me.

The whole vibe of the deck is so fun. I can't wait to see the monkey riding a horse while firing an Assault Rifle! Awesome stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
cryosneasel wrote:
Going by the text you have for it, it sounds like The Ringmaster is not incapacitated until there are no performers.

This is true! You are reading this correctly - the game would continue. I am pretty sure that most villains that grind down every hero will probably be able to knock out a few Performer before it gets back to the Circus's turn, but I think I need to stand up some playtest to see if this is indeed immortal.

johnny_guitar_watson wrote:
Maybe this hero concept could warrant a setup card like the sentinels have.

That might be needed! I'm hoping that I can make it clear with just the Incap side text (because I agree that Setup cards on heroes are suboptimal), but if not, a setup card with your wonderful and very clear rules will do the job. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe you could solve this problem with just 1 sentence on the backside of the ringmaster's card.

"If you have no hero targets in play, you are incapacitated.
- ablity 1
- abilty 2
- abilty 3"

Would this be clear enough? this wording would imply that the hero is not incapacitated as long as there are performers in play and your deck wouldn't be removed etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I was all set up to hate this deck when I saw it was full of targets, but you've found a clever way around it.

Normally the issue with target heavy hero decks is that each target makes them stronger and stronger - Unity with three bots out is about three times as good as Unity with one bot out. So they build up and up and got more and more insane, but then they get a big AoE and they're down to nothing and are sad.

Because most of the performers don't do a great deal other than use a power, you've got around this issue quite well. If you have one performer out, you can use some kind of useful power, that's already the Shadow Circus at 70% or so of its potential, it can contribute fairly well. You have a reason to get more out so you have more options and to make Three Ring Extravaganza great, but if all your performers get blown apart it's annoying, but not the end of the game for you, you can always get more.

The only major issue I can think of is that although AoE damage scales decently against this deck (Yeah, it'll knock off a lot of performers, but as mentioned that's not the end of the world), he is very tanky against lowest HP damage, where the cheap to play performers are soaking a lot of enemy damage. That may not be the end of the world, but it's worth considering. The Circus is also going to be generally fairly weak against AoE heavy decks (PRogeny, for example).

Some specific notes...

Crackers the Clown: Increase all damage to the target by 1 is a strong effect, can easily be worth 5+ damage if used right. This may not need draw a card as well?

Fritz the Strongman vs Steele the Fire Dancer: Steele seems quite a lot worse, lower HP, no damage resistance, deals less damage. Fire immune, but that pretty rarely comes up. That may or may not be an issue, but it's a fairly obvious comparison.

Laura the Piper vs Martina the Gymnast: Their powers are almost identical, except Laura makes someone else draw too. Martina is tougher, so maybe that's fair, but they still seem pretty similar. Maybe Laura could be another player plays a card (or possibly use a power instead?) to create more identity?

Vladimir the Unicyclist: Even at the cost of discarding a card, preventing ALL damage dealt by a target is a hell of an effect! I personally think one-shots that do this are already way too strong, and being able to do it turn after turn is just too much for me. Against Spite, Plague Rat, Akash'Bhuta, Progeny, Deadline, Iron Legacy and a few others, just having this guy unicycle at them for the rest of the game is an instant win.

I'd suggest making it either reduce damage dealt by the target by 1, or make it only work on non-character targets.

Emily the Horse: She works fine as a tank as she is, although arguably worse than Isabella and Penelope. To my mind it seems that as well as protecting her rider she could potentially be helping them do their thing? Perhaps she could have something like "At the end of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do, use the power of the performer she is next to." This would make her supercharge and protect her rider!

Penelope the Elephant: Most the animals have quite HP (possibly concerningly high?) but Penelope takes the cake. Even without the power, 11 HP with 1 DR is a BIG tank. When your team is down in the single digit HP (which will probably happen at some point), Penelope can be soaking up something in the region of 15 HP of damage, which just seems too much for a single play. If you stripped off the armor and the power, she'd still be pretty damn good.

Roscoe the Monkey: I love this guy, makes perfect sense for a Monkey to grab a Grenade launcher or Absolution or such and have fun with it.

Three Ring Extravaganza: My gut says this should probably be only one extra power, but playtesting will tell in the end.

High Wire: This seems like it would not be that fun a play. Most of the threat to your performers is AoE from the villain, which is not very predictable. Perhaps I'm playing against Baron Blade. I play High Wire, Blade plays a Blade Batallion. Great, I wasted my turn by random luck. Next game I think "Well, it's PROBABLY not going to happen, I'll play something else" then Hasten Doom, Hasten Doom, we're all dead.

I like the name and the idea of the effect, but a short term defensive card that is quite likely to do nothing doesn't seem like the most fun exceution. Maybe something like "High Wire (Ongoing). When one of your performers would be reduced to 0 HP, prevent that damage and use the power on that performer. Then destroy this card." That way you don't need to time it to interact with the random villain deck, you play it, feel good about it, and at some point it's most likely to come up.

Anyway, really liking the deck and the theme so far, keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
theHunterD13 wrote:
I have wanted a circus themed hero for a long time. Cards and art must happen for this, even if I have to do them myself lol. (I would be happy to try and get some playtest cards together at some point PM if interested).

Wow, awesome! I will PM. Thanks!

theHunterD13 wrote:
Looking over the cards briefly looks like a lot of fun and no real issues, I would suggest on Grande Finale though to put the Glamour line first. That way you can draw three more cards to your hand and have even more shenanigans to work with lol.

The idea with the Glamour line was that you can recover from losing your hand more quickly.

theHunterD13 wrote:
One question, in terms of theme since the show is called the Shadow Circus do you imagine the acts/performers to have a darker tone or Freak Show vibe, because that is what I'm imagining. Also if you are might I suggest a rename from Shadow Circus to Dark Carnivale?

Oh, good question! Yes, my idea is a little more like that.

I like the name change idea. Another name I'm considering: Le Cirque du Rêve ("The Circus of Dream").

theHunterD13 wrote:
Great stuff. Looking forward to trying this one out.

Thanks! I plan to tweak a little more before I start making playtest cards.

johnny_guitar_watson wrote:
Maybe you could solve this problem with just 1 sentence on the backside of the ringmaster's card.

"If you have no hero targets in play, you are incapacitated.
- ablity 1
- abilty 2
- abilty 3"

Would this be clear enough? this wording would imply that the hero is not incapacitated as long as there are performers in play and your deck wouldn't be removed etc.

I think it needs to be explicit rather than implied, but I think that's the right direction for the card. I tried new text for this, similar to your suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:
I was all set up to hate this deck when I saw it was full of targets, but you've found a clever way around it.

Thanks for checking it out!

Adelphophage wrote:
The only major issue I can think of is that although AoE damage scales decently against this deck (Yeah, it'll knock off a lot of performers, but as mentioned that's not the end of the world), he is very tanky against lowest HP damage, where the cheap to play performers are soaking a lot of enemy damage. That may not be the end of the world, but it's worth considering. The Circus is also going to be generally fairly weak against AoE heavy decks (PRogeny, for example).

I worry about that too! I'll have to test it out in playtest.

Adelphophage wrote:
Crackers the Clown: Increase all damage to the target by 1 is a strong effect, can easily be worth 5+ damage if used right. This may not need draw a card as well?

I like having the damage increase and card draw (because I sort of think of card draw as applause) but I see what you mean on power level.

I reduced the Clown's HP to make him more fragile, and reduced the duration from "end of your next turn" to "start of your next turn."

Adelphophage wrote:
Fritz the Strongman vs Steele the Fire Dancer: Steele seems quite a lot worse, lower HP, no damage resistance, deals less damage. Fire immune, but that pretty rarely comes up. That may or may not be an issue, but it's a fairly obvious comparison.

True! Added a card draw to Steele's power.

Adelphophage wrote:
Laura the Piper vs Martina the Gymnast: Their powers are almost identical, except Laura makes someone else draw too. Martina is tougher, so maybe that's fair, but they still seem pretty similar. Maybe Laura could be another player plays a card (or possibly use a power instead?) to create more identity?

Aw man, I missed how similar they were.

Okay, I changed those. Laura now makes everyone draw a card, but only if you haven't played a Glamour card. Martina makes one player play a card. I think those are different enough.

Adelphophage wrote:
Vladimir the Unicyclist:...

I'd suggest making it either reduce damage dealt by the target by 1, or make it only work on non-character targets.

Actually, it already said non-character targets.

Adelphophage wrote:
Emily the Horse: She works fine as a tank as she is, although arguably worse than Isabella and Penelope. To my mind it seems that as well as protecting her rider she could potentially be helping them do their thing? Perhaps she could have something like "At the end of your turn, you may discard a card. If you do, use the power of the performer she is next to." This would make her supercharge and protect her rider!

That sounds awesome. Added!

Adelphophage wrote:
Penelope the Elephant: Most the animals have quite HP (possibly concerningly high?) but Penelope takes the cake. Even without the power, 11 HP with 1 DR is a BIG tank.

Added a drawback! She now beats up your other Performers if you don't wrangle her with cards or Tamer, which makes her (indirectly) a less reliable tank.

Adelphophage wrote:
Roscoe the Monkey: I love this guy, makes perfect sense for a Monkey to grab a Grenade launcher or Absolution or such and have fun with it.

Flavor text: Roscoe, no!

Adelphophage wrote:
Three Ring Extravaganza: My gut says this should probably be only one extra power, but playtesting will tell in the end.

Yeah, agreed. I'll be keeping a close eye on that in playtest.

Adelphophage wrote:
High Wire: This seems like it would not be that fun a play. Most of the threat to your performers is AoE from the villain, which is not very predictable. Perhaps I'm playing against Baron Blade. I play High Wire, Blade plays a Blade Batallion. Great, I wasted my turn by random luck. Next game I think "Well, it's PROBABLY not going to happen, I'll play something else" then Hasten Doom, Hasten Doom, we're all dead.

I like the name and the idea of the effect, but a short term defensive card that is quite likely to do nothing doesn't seem like the most fun exceution. Maybe something like "High Wire (Ongoing). When one of your performers would be reduced to 0 HP, prevent that damage and use the power on that performer. Then destroy this card." That way you don't need to time it to interact with the random villain deck, you play it, feel good about it, and at some point it's most likely to come up.

I think it's most likely to come up on the Acrobat, the Horse, or if you have a single Performer. I'm going to keep an eye out for this in playtest -- I feel like often you can kind of tell when big damage is coming your way, though sometimes it is indeed a surprise.

So far, I've been keeping the theme that it's all targets and One-Shots, but I really like your suggestion. (Though maybe it should be an Equipment, since it's a piece of technology?)

Adelphophage wrote:
Anyway, really liking the deck and the theme so far, keep it up!

Thanks for checking it out and for going through it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Man, can't believe I misread the unicyclist - My bad on that one!

For the original High Wire, it's true that sometime you can predict high AoE damage (orbital bombardment, say) and putting it on Isabella is pretty awesome, but it still seems like a lot of the time, unless you KNOW something big is coming (not that often) it's not going to be worth the risk. That's just me though, and I both tend to play a bit too much attention to statistics, plus haven't playtested, so take this with a boulder of salt.

Now that I think about it, Power of Illusion has kind of a similar problem - it's a pretty strong defensive effect, but it again only lasts for a turn and it is entirely possible that no AoE was going to happen that turn. At least with High Wire I might have just wasted a play if the villain doesn't do anything, with Power of Illusion I've wasted a play, and hit everyone, AND have now played a Glamour, which is a cost in itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Good point! I'm comparing the two with some one-turn-duration Ongoing defensive effects on other heroes, and it's a little weaker, but the deck is kinda meant to be a little fragile.

I think I'm getting closer to the point of "This needs playtesting to see if it works or falls flat." Which is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, made some updates!

Changed the Bear so it does reactive damage rather than start-of-turn damage.

Changed Three Ring Circus so it's a card draw and a power instead of two powers.

Made High Wire "Immune to Damage" instead of reducing damage to 2, which should make it a little more useful.

Added card draw to Power of Illusion.

Added flavor text for all cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
mb
Hateful Darkblack wrote:
Okay, made some updates!

Added flavor text for all cards!

Flavor is amazing. Definitely need to make this deck a reality now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Posted playtest files! Thank you theHunterD13 for creating these!

Ringmaster (PDF)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I just printed this out! I am going to try it out hopefully tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yay! Let me know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
mb
Playtest #1

Heroes:
Centurion
Null
Ringmaster
Tango One

Villain:
Baron Blade

Environment:
Freedom Tower

Result:
Victory

The first playtest is intended to be an easy win, as both Baron Blade and the Freedom Tower are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Centurion kept the team bolstered with card draws from Marching Orders, and his base power allowed Ringmaster to pump out several performers early on. Null and Tango One provided some fire support with direct damage, but some bad card draws (duplicates of everything I already had in hand) really stunted their ability to add to the fight. Ringmaster was definitely the star as the Shadow Circus rolled into town with plays like Play to the Crowd, into a Three Ring Extravaganza, allowed for multiple performers to deal damage to the Baron on a single turn. It was quite a show, especially with 9 performers in play by the end of the game.

Highlight of the game was 12 points of damage being dealt by the Circus on a play of Stunning Finale.

Further playtesting will see if any balance issues come up. For now it was simply a great game and a lot of fun seeing the circus in action. I was really impressed with the design addition of Glamour cards in the deck, as several times I held off playing one in an attempt to maximize some of the effects on other cards, but in the end I used From the Mists to get even more performers into play for the Stunning Finale. Excellent work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.