Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: KDM [+] [View All]
drew reilly
United States
Middeltown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
For all I have read about how clunky the miniature is in a showdown, I was thinking about picking up a GW flyer base and using that to raise it up 2 or 3 inches off the board.
Has anyone done this, or what height do you all think would be a good height to suspend it over the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
It's possible. You'll want the large hands of the Spidicules to be well above the height of a survivor miniature.

There are going to be some things to be aware of however: if you think it's clunky now, it will be much more so after attaching the base. Knocking it over will be a big problem as well. There's also the fact that the Spidicules' blind spot is directly beneath the monster itself, so using a very large base on the bottom will make it something of a hassle when the monster moves (and it moves A LOT). It also has a tendency to run into the edge of the board, so if you're playing into a recessed table the issue of a large base won't solve the problems.

Now, having been a Debby Downer for all of that above, I'm going to try and give some actual positive help for you.

I've tried using a flying base myself. Nothing fancy, though: I just cut off some of the sprue edges and used those to elevate the monster off of it's original 50mm base. The results were pretty much what I mentioned above. Eventually I got tired to fiddling with it and took everything apart again. These days, when I fight the monster - I set it to the side of the board and use it's 50mm base to indicate where the monster is.

Thematically this is fine, as the way the fight works indicates that the Spidicules is actually suspended above the survivors by its webbing and is running along the threads to move and attack. All you really need to do to make this work for you is to indicate a point of "Facing" on the blank 50mm base and you are set to go.

It's not particularly awesome to have a model in KDM like Spidicules, where you are never really going to see it on the actual board; but it isn't a game-breaker for me to leave it off to the side. And, since I went with that change, the fight is actually one of my most favorite battles.

In any event, how you choose to go is up to you. Experiment a little and see what fits your play the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hart
United Kingdom
Ripon
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wonder if it would be possible to suspend it via a wire from an overhanging arm connected to a heavy base, where the arm is long enough for the base to be outside of the playing area yet position spidicules anywhere within. Anglepoise Spidicules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah I have been meaning to make a thread like this to see if anyone has come up with a good solution! I have considered a flying base but wasn't sure how good it would look or how well it would work. At the moment we just put her at the edge of the board, turn her to indicate facing, and use a 50mm base. It works but its a solution I am not fond of. Such an impressive looking model I want it in the middle of the table if at all possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe on something like this? http://www.litko.net/products/Fleet-Movement-Stands.html

Would be cool if the survivors could stand underneath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've done it, fantastic results! Only problem is storage... but this "miniature" will never be easy to store hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orionstein wrote:
Maybe on something like this? http://www.litko.net/products/Fleet-Movement-Stands.html

Would be cool if the survivors could stand underneath

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
Neuburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarizos32 wrote:
I've done it, fantastic results! Only problem is storage... but this "miniature" will never be easy to store hahaha

Do you want to share a picture with us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb

By splitting the base in four at the bottom, all four survivors can sit under the blind spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like Poots likes aesthetics more than viable functionality in a game. Some 'minis' are very clunky, like Spidicules, and others even surpass huge size and become almost unplayable. I don't mind big bosses, but there is a cap to keeping things playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jarizos32 wrote:
By splitting the base in four at the bottom, all four survivors can sit under the blind spot.

That is one amazing looking mini, Justin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you! If I had to do it again, I'd probably look into super strong magnets for the legs so I could detach for storage. This would probably require sculpting bigger joint sockets though. Would be great for thematics though, cutting off the legs mid fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarizos32 wrote:

Hmm... I wonder. How stable would that be without the round base you've added at the bottom? Seems like a '+' foot like that, of the right size, could support the miniature and allow for moving it around without disturbing survivors in its blind spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
Was not stable at all, often toppled over. The heavy circle base (green stuff/kd plastic)is needed to make the miniature bottom heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like something that would actually work well with an Epic ship stand from Star Wars X-wing.

http://www.litko.net/products/Tactical-Flight-Base%2C-Square...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert green
msg tools
How tall is that pole? Im looking into doing this when I get spidicules in wave 2 but I want to make sure I get a good height as I am planning on using extra strong magnets to attach its legs (cause the twitching leg pile needs to be a thing)and I don't want to have them touching the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
127mm gives the spider more than enough float to stick survivors under with comfortable room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimsonsun God
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Jarizos32 wrote:
Thank you! If I had to do it again, I'd probably look into super strong magnets for the legs so I could detach for storage. This would probably require sculpting bigger joint sockets though. Would be great for thematics though, cutting off the legs mid fight.

That look's amazing, I'd dismissed magnets as a rule for use on Armour Kits , so hadn't even considered them for monsters and this is someone I could really see it being worth while, as its not that I can't do the hobby work required I just wouldn't enjoy it for the scale required, something like this could work. I'm getting this kit so I'm going to need a solution beyond putting it in a glass cabinet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the best option for this guy was mounting him on a large acrylic disc.

That way we was on a single base that you could see the bard through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
She moves around a lot during the showdown though and you need survivors underneath so it would be quite a pain if it had a big base to move it then put the survivors back on the squares they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It would be okay if it was just the ball, but it has massive appendages that make it's footprint 3 times larger with zero collision rules, it'll be an awful clumsy pain in the ass. (ideally if don't clue the legs on, it might be reasonable)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I thought the best option for this guy was mounting him on a large acrylic disc.

That way we was on a single base that you could see the bard through.

We played with a version that was set up like this, it's fine for the board and terrain, but it's an absolute nightmare for the survivors and spiderlings because you have to track their positions when you lift the model up and move it. And she moves a lot because her entire attack pattern trends towards hit and run while spawning minions.

However, if you get an acrylic disk that is essentially a donut ring with a big hole, just wide enough acrylic to mount the hands and legs on, that should work with minimum disruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone magnetized his legs? Seems both thematic as he suffers wounds and would help with transport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cori Chan
United Kingdom
ShauKiWan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
how if we use these kind of "pizza small tables" LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i plan to build a spider web that will be raised above the ground for him to stand upon. it will be as large as he is but it will have lots of thin small legs positioned to fall on the corners of squares as to not block model placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.