Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Play once only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess the game is somewhere going to place itself in the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective range where you play the scenario once then you know everything and the game gets somewhat unplayable a second time.
Is that the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it seems that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djna83 wrote:
I guess the game is somewhere going to place itself in the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective range where you play the scenario once then you know everything and the game gets somewhat unplayable a second time.
Is that the case?

I have confirmed with Portal that each scenario will only be played once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that puts me out. Hate this kind of thing in board games and I can't explain why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the era of disposable board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Well, that puts me out. Hate this kind of thing in board games and I can't explain why.
I'm ok with it, as long as they aren't freaking #1 on BGG. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rank is correlated strongly with fandom and somewhat less so to quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of Twilight Struggle, which is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
An exception that proves the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
It's the era of disposable board games!

I'm OK with it as long as I can enjoy the game, and then sell/trade/give the game to someone else to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be like pandemic legacy or Exit games where cards are ripped and stuff is drawn on? Or like time stories where it's resellable since the game is played once because you know the story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Migneaux
Belgium
Wervik
flag msg tools
mb
ebz28 wrote:
Would it be like pandemic legacy or Exit games where cards are ripped and stuff is drawn on? Or like time stories where it's resellable since the game is played once because you know the story

More like Time Stories and Sherlock Holmes.
I can't wait to try this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Alberth Silva Barros
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I have zero problems with one time experiences with games... The Legacy and one time campaigns formats are here to stay and whoever does not enjoy these formats can just... play the many, many, many other games that are available in traditional formats.

This one will even be resellable, from what I understand.

Sounds amazing so far. I'll definitely keep an eye and hope for a local version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I'd be inclined to agree if these games offered a qualitatively similar experience to repeatable games. In my experience they do not (i.e. the "one and done" nature plays into a unique experience very strongly).

Take the cinematic comparison: M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense.

You can rewatch the film, but you'll never have the experience you had initially, largely due to being aware of the twists. However, you *can* rewatch it, and you might even enjoy it (forgetting small details, or - more to the point - catching things you overlooked on the initial viewing). The more a board game leans on mechanisms over narrative, I find this holds true (e.g. I've been able to replay Time Storie's initial case several times, often finding things I overlooked in the grand scope of the design initially).

The few that are just broken by campaign's end have 1) been played waaaay more than the average game in my collection, and 2) have traded replayability to SHOCK and spectacle. Pandemic Legacy's first season has been the high water mark of this.

Detective .. well.. it's hard to say where it sits. If you can fail a case, yet move forward in some limited fashion into the next case, I can see replayability being a possibility. Even if not, you won't be able to see even half the content of a case on any one playthrough. I doubt I'd like playing a case again for myself knowing the end result, but I can imagine enjoying playing with a new group (partially to watch their enthusiasm, and partially to enjoy the elements missed in my original playthrough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness 2e really encapsulates the "enjoy the movie, even though you've seen it" feel that I don't think this will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.