Subject: Need some clarifitcations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Riguzzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everybody,
yesterday I went to my trusted boardgames shop to try Arkham Horror LCG. My friend and me died horribly, but I loved the game and I bought the core box and the Dunwich expansion.
I think I'll be fine for several months playing these 2 campaigns, but I started to look into the "horror" of all the expansions set there are and I can't understand the differences between Mythos and Scenarios.
If I'll want to purchase a new "adventure" or campaign, what I'll be supposed to buy?
Thanks a lot and
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocZagreus wrote:
Hi everybody,
yesterday I went to my trusted boardgames shop to try Arkham Horror LCG. My friend and me died horribly, but I loved the game and I bought the core box and the Dunwich expansion.
I think I'll be fine for several months playing these 2 campaigns, but I started to look into the "horror" of all the expansions set there are and I can't understand the differences between Mythos and Scenarios.
If I'll want to purchase a new "adventure" or campaign, what I'll be supposed to buy?
Thanks a lot and
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Mythos packs are released individually and compliment the preceeding 'deluxe expansion'. In this case, The Dunwich Legacy. You need the deluxe expansion in order to play it's corresponding Mythos packs. Expect FFG to release 6 Mythos packs, called a cycle, for The Dunwich Legacy which will provide you with a total of 8 scenarios that can be linked together as a campaign.

There are a couple of 'stand alone' scenarios that are not part of a cycle. These are called Print on Demand scenarios (PODs) and don't require a deluxe expansion to play them. They can be played either in isolation as a one off scenario, or, if you choose, you can add them into a campaign/cycle to make it longer/tougher.

So far there are two POD scenario packs released, but they are tricky to find.

Best of luck!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenarios (like Curse of the Rougarou) are standalone adventures with no new player cards (excluding the scenario rewards), that can be inserted into any campaign.

Deluxe expansions start a campaign of 8 scenarios, where you need the 6 mythos packs following the deluxe expansion to have a complete campaign. So for The Dunwich Legacy's campaign you need Miskatonic Museum, Essex Country Express and other 4 scenarios that follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
how many individual scenarios come in a mythos pack vs a POD pack vs a deluxe expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Garcia Ballester
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
badge
Across Space and Time
mbmbmbmbmb
A mythos pack has only one scenario. Same for POD. The deluxe expansion has two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
how many individual scenarios come in a mythos pack vs a POD pack vs a deluxe expansion?

Mythos) 1
POD) 1
Deluxe expansion) only one so far is Dunwich which has 2 in it.

Though the Deluxe expansion is required to use the Dunwich Mythos packs (Miskatonic, Essex, etc.)

It should all be fairly well laid out on the Arkham Horror LCG homepage on BGG at the bottom of the page where you can expand the wiki entry and see the various Mythos packs and PODs by Release cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Game - 3 Scenarios (1, 2, and 3 of 3)

PODs
Curse - 1 Scenario (stand alone)
Carnival of Horror (stand alone)

Deluxe
Duneich Legacy - 2 Scenarios (1 and 2 of 8)

Mythos Packs
Miskatonic Museum - 1 Scenario (3 of 8)
Essex County Express - 1 Scenario (4 of 8)

Future Mythos Packs
Blood on the Alter - 1 Scenario (5 of 8) *April*
Undimensioned and Unseen - 1 Scenario (6 of 8) *May*
Where Doom Awaits - 1 Scenario (7 of 8) *June*
Lost in Time and Space - 1 Scenario (8 of 8) *July*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks everybody...

another question: do you know if the dunwich scenarios are setup similar to the ones in the core box, where during a given scenario, if you do poorly, the subsequent scenarios get progressively tougher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

another question: do you know if the dunwich scenarios are setup similar to the ones in the core box, where during a given scenario, if you do poorly, the subsequent scenarios get progressively tougher?

More or less the same. They just change up little things here are there to keep you on your toes and change up the way the campaign works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

I haven't got my copy of Miskatonic or Essex until Tuesday/Wednesday next week so I can't really say, but I would say that compared to the Core Campaign, the PODs and Dunwich all felt more involved than the core scenarios. And on reflection the core campaign feels more like a safe starting point for things to come. As they've thrown more interesting mechanics at you in the other stuff so far compared to the Core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:

I wouldn't say this is true for Dunwich.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1) Each scenario has less XP max then in Night of the Zealot. This means the ramp is much slower. It is easier to catch up from a bad scenario.

2) There are many resolutions that are +/-. One might give you a great asset, but add a bad token to the Chaos bag for example.

3) The first two scenarios in Dunwich are designed to played in either order. And it seems to work well both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add that Miskatonic Museum is not that hard. You could do poorly in the 2 Dunwich scenarios add still do ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
I would add that Miskatonic Museum is not that hard. You could do poorly in the 2 Dunwich scenarios add still do ok

While this may be true, I think the expectation is that progressing through an entire campaign should mean you find things getting tougher as you go, so acquiring xp where you can, whilst reaching the best resolution as possible in the circumstances as you can, should aid your overall torment :-D :-D :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
youperguy wrote:

While this may be true, I think the expectation is that progressing through an entire campaign should mean you find things getting tougher as you go, so acquiring xp where you can, whilst reaching the best resolution as possible in the circumstances as you can, should aid your overall torment :-D :-D :-D

I agree, but in Night of the Zealot if you do poorly in scenario 1 & 2 then scenario 3 might be impossible very difficult.

In Dunwich, since it is over 8 scenarios you can struggle a bit in scenario 1 & 2 and still do well in Miskatonic Museum. Yes, if you get a poor resolution in the first 7 scenarios, I would guess that Lost in Time and Space might be difficult. But I don't believe that you need a "perfect" result in any scenario even the core to advance.

My point is that there is a slower build in Dunwich, which is intentional from the design of a 8 scenario campaign versus a 3 scenario campaign. There is also no need to replay a scenario 8 times to get a "best" result. Play the game get what you get and move on. If you average OK results you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.