Subject: Why would goblins smash crystals? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's their interest there? To prevent the Knight from doing so? I don't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its primarly used in games without the knight I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok this makes sense, indeed. modest

Btw, why are these crystals useful for? They give a few grits to the Knight, and they're an exit for the Dragon but... is that so? I mean they've no other purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon b
United States
flag msg tools
poifpoif wrote:

Btw, why are these crystals useful for? They give a few grits to the Knight, and they're an exit for the Dragon but... is that so? I mean they've no other purpose?

new to the game, but i've played a couple rounds of solo and 2 player. you treat the crystal tiles different from token. for example, in certain variants, a win condition could be smash 5 tokens or remove 5 tiles.

in addition to what you said (dont recall that a dragon needs a token to surface, maybe just the tile ( cant remember) iirc, playing as cave, the tokens are considered when determining number of omen tokens (treasures and crysta tokens on board) to collect, so the other players might smash them to reduce that number or cave moves or removes them to mess with other players. perhaps there is more but either i dont recall or havent played that variant (havent played as thief or 3+ player variants yet)

someone correct me if i mispoke about cave moving or removing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
global_dev wrote:
poifpoif wrote:

new to the game, but i've played a couple rounds of solo and 2 player. you treat the crystal tiles different from token. for example, in certain variants, a win condition could be smash 5 tokens or remove 5 tiles.

in addition to what you said (dont recall that a dragon needs a token to surface, maybe just the tile ( cant remember) iirc, playing as cave, the tokens are considered when determining number of omen tokens (treasures and crysta tokens on board) to collect, so the other players might smash them to reduce that number or cave moves or removes them to mess with other players. perhaps there is more but either i dont recall or havent played that variant (havent played as thief or 3+ player variants yet)

someone correct me if i mispoke about cave moving or removing them.

They're useful for the cave player, you're right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Ok this makes sense, indeed. :modest:

They are not an exit for the Dragon! The Tiles on which they are, are. So even if you smash the Crystal, the Dragon can still pass through the Tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal tokens help the Cave when drawing Omens, so smashing them will slow it down somewhat.

Beyond that, in a normal, full game, the Knight will usually be the only player that has a strong incentive to smash them because of the grit bonus, and often (especially later in the game) her strength will be high enough already that she can hit them immediately after revealing the tiles.

The Dragon and Goblins do have the option, but it's a little on the costly side for them so it's rare to actually do it unless they have nothing else available to do at the moment.

However, in the case of the Goblins, when you're using a player/role combination without the Knight or the Dragon, their goal changes to smashing crystals.

Thematically, I've always viewed the Crystal tokens as the primary source of the Cave's power, while the tiles are more structural. In the setups where the Goblins need to smash them, they can feel themselves being corrupted by the Cave and fight back against it any way they can, so they can be left to their home in peace. When the Knight goes in to smash them (non-Dragon games) she's doing it to prevent that same corrupting influence from growing strong enough to spread beyond the Cave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
poifpoif wrote:

They are not an exit for the Dragon! The Tiles on which they are, are. So even if you smash the Crystal, the Dragon can still pass through the Tile.

You're right! Though if there's a crystal on the tile the Dragon chooses to exit from, it is smashed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I, as the Golbins, wished that more crystal-smashing had been done. Then I could have removed the crystal tiles with my cave-in secret and made it harder for the Dragon to surface!

As it happened, everyone was one turn from winning when the Goblins finished off the night. The Cave probably would have won, but he didn't examine all the dark tiles before doing the first collapse, and removed one general tile when he could have removed a crystal tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chang
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the dragon?
Does it smash crystals just to slow the cave down as well?
Or is there any other benefits that I don't realize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
When Goblins smash crystals, they give them tot he Knight (if she is in the game). Does that give her 2 Grit? Does it count toward her victory condition if it is smashing crystals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
When Goblins smash crystals, they give them tot he Knight (if she is in the game). Does that give her 2 Grit? Does it count toward her victory condition if it is smashing crystals?
She doesn't gain grit, since she didn't do the smashing, but it does count toward the "X Crystals have been smashed" (don't recall the number offhand) side quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also counts towards her victory condition (if it's smashing crystals, and the goblin's victory condition is not smashing crystals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.