3 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Beer Parlor strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiberiu Diaconescu
Romania
flag msg tools
Beer Parlor is a very good building for providing points.But.... How does it help you on a multi-player game to feed your family?
Getting 2 Grain is not an easy feat in 4P game.
If I'd want to optimize a strategy where i build fast my 3rd Dwarf, getting 2nd Grain by the time you finish round 4.. Is almost impossible.
Let's consider for a minute that you can take only once Sustenance by the end of turn 4 and also that you start with 1 food only. To furnish a Dwelling, to grow family and pay 7 food (4 in turn 3 and 3 in turn 4) one needs: 4W,3S, 6F (you got 1 from start)
The game would go like:
[]Action for Wood 2W/3W
[]Housework: Beer Parlor
[] Sustenance to get 1Grain and you place it so you get 1F
[]Action for Stone 2S
By now you either have 0 or 1 Wood, assume again only 2W/3W available on different actions
[]Action for 2W/3W
[]Growth W/S/O/F/2G
End of turn 3, right now you are - 1F so you need a begging marker. If you start with 2F than you're fine
[]Family Growth
[]??? What could you do now to get 3 food?
By now you only have 1 grain. How to get 2nd

Another scenario would be picking up fast a weapon to get grain but still:
[]Wood
[]Beer Parlor
[]Ore
[]Blacksmithing (pick 1 Grain)
[]Sustenance (2nd grain, so you got roughly 5 food now, wr survive round 3)
[]Wood
[]Stone
Again no 3 food, and even if you'd chose other actions in Turn 4 to get the food it means you postponen the growth of family beyond even turn 5

Something is missing, i can't see how beer Parlor works as food engine, unless you are extremely lucky (get 6W from one action, Get G&V from Sustenance and SoW - it will never happen in first 4 rounds of a 4P).
You could argue that you chose Beer Parlor depending on the situation. But what if you need to rush it, from turn 1 and than game unfolds as i presented above? You're f*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramadri wrote:
If I'd want to optimize a strategy where i build fast my 3rd Dwarf, getting 2nd Grain by the time you finish round 4.. Is almost impossible.

I don't think this is a fair assumption. If you rush to build your first room and grow your family, you will not be able to take sustenance and plant a lot of crops. That's part of the balance of the game. If you want to pursue a Beer Parlor strategy, you will not be able to grow first.

One of the things that makes Caverna more balanced, in some ways, than Agricola is that it's possible to win Caverna consistently while growing a bit later. In Agricola, early growth is the dominant strategy, but I don't think that's necessarily true for Caverna.

Also, perhaps you are forgetting that there are other ways to get one grain. You can adventure, or use a ruby, or go to the market. So getting two grain planted in the first few rounds without slowing down your engine is not that hard to do at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiberiu Diaconescu
Romania
flag msg tools
Since i wrote that I've played many more 4p and 2p games and I've come to the conclusion that is not that hard to feed your family with the Beer Parlor furnishing.
I am now interested, if theres anyone left to share laugh, how do you go about to optimize the points this room can generate. Do you set a goal from start not to use it for feeding? How do you think its best to feed your family if you want to keep Beer Parlor only for points.
How many points do you usually get at the end and how can one increase the amount of points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.