Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: [WSIG] Brand new to Pandemic: Base Game only or Base Game + On the Brink? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrián Sánchez Celada
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello!

So pretty much what the topic says. I'm going to get Pandemic tomorrow to play mostly with my girlfriend but also with more people when we get the option. I've never played it but seeing the reviews and reading about it got me pretty excited.

Question is I don't know what to get, the base game only or add On the Brink too. With the insert, the extra organization and the gameplay extras...it seems almost mandatory.

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game on its own is perfectly fine for first timers, you'll get plenty of replayability out of it.

However, on the brink is definitely the first expansion you should get. If you can afford it, its certainly worth having. The new roles and event cards are worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you have never played before I would recommend starting with the base game. It is great on its own and will offer you a great gaming experience.

Obviously as you will have gathered, on the brink is amazing and is widely considered an essential purchase for fans of the original. However most of the additions in on the brink are designed to make the game harder and extend the variety on offer. While this is great, I would not recommend playing with any of the expansion until you have played the base game a fair few times so I would hold off on buying it until you feel like you need that extra challenge/variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find a good deal on both together, go ahead an get both. On the Brink is the must have expansion. I'd even play my first game as a standard game using the new role cards and the new expansion rules for the use of the new event cards (2 role cards per player, rather than always the original five).

However, I would heed the advice of holding off on the Virulent Strain or Mutation Challenges until you're comfortable with the basic game and have a few wins under your belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic ADRIMAN wrote:
Hello!

So pretty much what the topic says. I'm going to get Pandemic tomorrow to play mostly with my girlfriend but also with more people when we get the option. I've never played it but seeing the reviews and reading about it got me pretty excited.

Question is I don't know what to get, the base game only or add On the Brink too. With the insert, the extra organization and the gameplay extras...it seems almost mandatory.

Thank you!!

As one who owns Pandemic, On the Brink, and Pandemic: Iberia, I'd like to recommend checking out Iberia. I know that it isn't one of the original options, but in my opinion it's an exceptional version of Pandemic. It has remarkable artwork, and the variants included in the game add a lot to it.

Sorry if this adds to your indecision, but I wanted to at least mention looking into it. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halley
msg tools
I too am new to Pandemic and was wondering if Pandemic Iberia is a better version than the base game. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Stevenage
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got Pandemic. Once we get the hang of it I fancy the Cthulhu version. Monster as the minis look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.