Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody explain me why attacking one's own Empire card or Token is defined as a "strawman" attack?
Doesn't the term "strawman" mean maliciously misrepresenting or disguising a concept for a another one?
Is the theme overwheming mechanic clarity to dub the name of the action with something that suggest the attacker has come up with a false reason (i.e. you offended me) to unleash an attack?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Straw_man

Since English is not my native language, perhaps I am missing some subtlety here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A strawman attack in the other Pax games was an attack on yourself with the objective of earning a Prestige point for yourself because you could give players Prestige by playing take-that cards on them, but you would earn the Prestige if you played it on yourself.

Thematically this meant that you could attack one of your own ranches, convince them it was somebody else doing the dirty work, and then Outrage them into supporting you. That's a Strawman Attack, thematically speaking: doing something awful and convincing the wronged party that somebody else did it, so lets get'em.

In Pax Ren, I believe they lost the thematic reasoning behind it, but retained the jargon so that it would be easy for returning Pax players to recognize the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
A strawman attack in the other Pax games was an attack on yourself with the objective of earning a Prestige point for yourself because you could give players Prestige by playing take-that cards on them, but you would earn the Prestige if you played it on yourself.

Thematically this meant that you could attack one of your own ranches, convince them it was somebody else doing the dirty work, and then Outrage them into supporting you. That's a Strawman Attack, thematically speaking: doing something awful and convincing the wronged party that somebody else did it, so lets get'em.

In Pax Ren, I believe they lost the thematic reasoning behind it, but retained the jargon so that it would be easy for returning Pax players to recognize the mechanic.

So in game terms the "strawman"-ed items are the Tokens that will be conviced to attack the current Regime using the One-Shot or Operation.

Thank you, Aaron!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A "strawman fallacy" occurs when you attribute an easily refuted position to an opponent. By attacking and defeating the "straw man" you attempt to make your own position appear the superior one.

The analogy to Pax games is by constructing an easily defeated position you control (the strawman) you gain some benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.