7 Posts

Sheriff of Nottingham» Forums » Rules

Subject: Side betting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
A Situation arised last night wich I didn't know how to solve.

I give bag to Sheriff, But another playeroffered sheriff 5 gold to open my bag.
they had a small argument where sheriff claimed that for sure i wasn't having contraband, player A was sure i had contraband.

So sheriff does the following proposal.
"ok, I will open for free, and if he is honest, you have to pay the penalty to me, and add 2 coins, however if there is contraband, i will pay the 5 gold to you (in addition to the contraband penalty i have to pay"

We went through with it, but after the game i wonder if it should be legal to make that offer, its even more dangerous to the game because then a sheriff can offer anyone to be the sheriff for a small cost, by arranging with another player to absorb all the costs, and reap all the benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that is legal. We play sometimes with arrangements like that. This game is kinda weird in the sense the rulebook makes it clear that any sort of agreement can be made among players, however if both parties agree then you must follow thru.

However, if it is something that is causing a real unbalance, you can always house rule it to not be allowed, that is up to your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that was an illegal play, this game is great in that way, you make any kind of offer and others can simply say yes or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the joy in this game to make really complicated deals. I usually make deals where I pay percentage of fines as insurance if I am incorrect, but take a cut if I am correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Vågehed
Sweden
Malmo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated earlier;
Completely legal.

The rules specific 2 scenarios.
First: Bids/deals that can be solved during same round. These must be fulfilled (if possible). There is no restrictions about what u can make a deal about.
Second: Promises that imply future solutions (eg. "when I become sheriff" or "next turn") does NOT need to be fulfilled/kept. If the deal involves both this and future solution (eg. "you let me pass, I´ll let you pass later" ) the part "this turn" must be carried out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brett
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open negotiation; so completely fine to have side wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.