Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Objective card immediate action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paweł Zubrycki
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
Hi

A general rule in the book says that when you move (cowboy or train) you have to move at least one space up to the amount of available movement.

However next to the explanation of immediate actions on the objective cards there is nothing about "at least one space" just rule says up to 3 spaces (both cowboy and train). Is that an exception?

We had situation yesterday that player finished his move and actions just before Kansas. Then wanted to play two objectives before the end of his turn in to his personal objective area, just to get rid of the objectives from the hand. Without actual moving one space further with both Cowboy and Train.

Was it ok to do that?

thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zubeerek wrote:
A general rule in the book says that when you move (cowboy or train) you have to move at least one space up to the amount of available movement.

No, you answered your own question in the first sentence of your post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zubeerek wrote:

However next to the explanation of immediate actions on the objective cards there is nothing about "at least one space" just rule says up to 3 spaces (both cowboy and train). Is that an exception?

That's the way I played it to do the exact same thing.

I know the designer ruled that you could not move 0 (zero) spaces with a train to claim a station that you were already in, you had to move out and back into the station to be able to claim the station.

But I've not seen a ruling that says the same for movement for the cowboy and therefore I read the rule as "upto" meaning 0 (zero) or more
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Murr on this. Approaching this logically a 'move' of zero isn't actually moving at all. However the question might be better phrased by asking 'Are you obliged to take the bonus on an objective card'?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the designer's take on the objective card about moving your cattleman.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24104950#24104950

AlexP wrote:
Teuf wrote:
Rules says about this objective card : "If you move your cattleman after using a location in phase B, you directly carry out phase C once your cattleman reaches the new location."

So you stop your phase B here.

I hope above quote answers all questions regarding the extra movement without action (gained from objective cards). After using this objective card, you go to phase C.

Additional movement+action gained from buildings (e.g. 3a) start a new phase B meaning unused actions from the building before are lost.



Here is another reply regarding this card

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24389110#24389110

AlexP wrote:
So there are 2 rules:
1. You may play an action card:
a) before performing phase A or
b) before or after performing any one action in phase B.

2. Regarding objective card with 3 movement: However, you are not allowed to use the location on which you stop.

This means technically: If you are in phase B and use this card before performing an action, you move away from your building and loose all actions. Therefore, for this objective card, playing it before an action is never good.


Sounds like your friend could play the move train one, but not the other one because he would have ended up in Kansas City in Phase C.

Hope this helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Caldwell
United States
Saucier
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
On page 15 of rule book it says (Then perform the immediate action depicted in the upper left corner of the card or forfeit it). End of first paragraph page 15.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ribbens
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GWT Rulebook p10 wrote:

Actions
e main source of actions in the game are the local actions of the neutral building tiles and of your private building tiles, though there are a few other
situations in which actions might be triggered
(delivery actions, single auxiliary actions, etc).
However, irrespective of the situation in which actions are performed, the actions themselves are always represented by the same icons. So wherever the
same icon appears, it refers to the same action.

...

Quite a few actions consist of a specific requirement and a specific reward. Only if you meet the requirement are you allowed to gain the
reward. Requirements are usually associated with red (red arrows or red numbers), while rewards are usually associated with green and
white (green arrows and/or white numbers).
Important: You are allowed to forfeit a reward completely or in part even though you meet the requirement. However, if you receive an
amount of Dollars as a reward, you must take that entire amount.


How I always believed it is played, is that you can skip any movement you are entitled to, both with cowboys or trains. However, if you do a 0-move, you do not get to do the actions associated with the space you are on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tomribbens wrote:
GWT Rulebook p10 wrote:

Actions
e main source of actions in the game are the local actions of the neutral building tiles and of your private building tiles, though there are a few other
situations in which actions might be triggered
(delivery actions, single auxiliary actions, etc).
However, irrespective of the situation in which actions are performed, the actions themselves are always represented by the same icons. So wherever the
same icon appears, it refers to the same action.

...

Quite a few actions consist of a specific requirement and a specific reward. Only if you meet the requirement are you allowed to gain the
reward. Requirements are usually associated with red (red arrows or red numbers), while rewards are usually associated with green and
white (green arrows and/or white numbers).
Important: You are allowed to forfeit a reward completely or in part even though you meet the requirement. However, if you receive an
amount of Dollars as a reward, you must take that entire amount.


How I always believed it is played, is that you can skip any movement you are entitled to, both with cowboys or trains. However, if you do a 0-move, you do not get to do the actions associated with the space you are on.

That is how I've always understood the rules as well. The only exception would be that you are required to move your cowboy at least once at the beginning of your turn, as Phase A specifically says, "Move your cattleman to another location along the trail". The section on objective cards states clearly that the immediate action can be forfeited, so I think the player referred to by the OP could legally play his objective cards without moving train or cowboy simply by forfeiting the immediate action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.