Tony Ball
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Scenario: I buy a new game and subscribe to its forum. I get all of the new threads and updates but there are 1000 existing threads. I could look through them individually manually, and try to keep track of what date or page I got up to, whilst all the time new ones are added. This can be a huge pain as to get back to page 50 you click Next, Next, Next, Next (50 times and 50 refreshes) and when you get there what was on page 50 might now be on page 52 if lots of new threads have been created. So you read that thread and want the previous one, so Next, Next Next......... all over again. This is a pain (try it with Shadows of Brimstone for an idea of how much a pain this can be!).

Suggestion: when subscribing to a new forum have a button to "load all existing threads" into my display (as opposed to just new threads from now on). This will initially give me a couple of hundred pages of threads, but at least I can read them, or mark them as read, and over time get up-to date. Maybe this could be linked to a date field, so I could refine what is loaded by choosing everything, the last 3 years or just the last 6 months.
TD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know, I don't know how many people want to read that many threads about each new game they buy -- sounds like a fulltime job to me! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ToneDeaf wrote:
This can be a huge pain as to get back to page 50 you click Next, Next, Next, Next (50 times and 50 refreshes) ...

Seems to me that no one has shown you how to jump to other pages by modifying the content in your address bar. Scan the bar and you may see a page number ... which you can alter for the page number you desire.

That isn't just about BGG; it's for the entire Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ball
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Andrew J: it would be an option you choose, it wouldn't be automatic, so if you don't want to see them all then don't click the button or tick the box to have them loaded. That way you can carry on as you are now.

Tomello: I didn't know that so thanks. However, it is still a bit fiddly and means we have to "manage" the process ourselves. What I'm suggesting is just a continuation / expansion of the existing system, so would make it more usable to Mr Average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this just called looking at the forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, but it's not hard (in my experience) to achieve the same effect oneself by paging through the pages of lists of forum threads going backwards in time (and perhaps coming back the next day to pick up where one left off). I do this somewhat often when I get obsessed with a new-to-me game which already has many threads. For practicality, just restrict it to the Rules forum (which seems the most useful).

ToneDeaf wrote:
Maybe this could be linked to a date field, so I could refine what is loaded by choosing everything, the last 3 years or just the last 6 months.

One practical problem implementing such a proposal with the existing subscription system is that AFAIK the subscription notification system only keeps track of items from the past 30 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.