Subject: Information about non-card MECCG items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
I recently purchased a mid-sized lot of MECCG cards for a reasonable price, and expected a few extras in the box (some dice, a poster). What I didn't expect was a whole host of other non-card items that came in the box.

I now am the proud owner of these:

2 sets of button-style pins for the 5 Istari (plus 2 extra Gandalfs)
1 (possibly incomplete?) set of Nazgul button-style pins
A small stack of InQuest Magazine branded Lidless Eye card checklists
3 large card Dwar of Waw promo sheets (advertising the Lidless Eye on one side and a large picture of the Nazgul Minion card on the other side)
A pack of Lidless Eye posters, still sealed

Additionally, there were 3 cards autographed by Elizabeth Danforth, and oodles of promo cards, some of them still sealed in plastic. I think I bought what was left from an actual game shop after all these years.

Any idea how much of this was official prize support or promotional material? And if any of it has any trade/sale value? I'm not expecting a gold mine (I'd be shocked if it was), but I'd be curious to know if the piles of promos are an actual lucky find, or if they're like Magic promos from the late 90s (some mediocre common shoved in as a "promo").

I can get some photos when I get home from work if that will help people identify/classify this stuff.

Edit to add: I found an image in the gallery here on BGG depicting the pins as prize support for tournaments, and another web site lists them as possibly being tied with the Challenge Deck releases (5 Istari, 5 Nazgul, for 10 decks). I'll still have to double-check to make sure I have all 5 of the Nazgul, but I believe that's a complete set of 10, if that's how they were intended to be released. Still not sure about any value/interest in the rest, though...

Edit again to add image referenced in previous edit:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, _I'm_ interested.
I've seen the posters and the articles before, but this is the first I've heard of the pins.
If you decide to sell or trade these things, I'd certainly like to put in a bid.

As far as valuations: the posters generally go for #10-$20,
but a sealed set would likely bring more, perhaps 2 or three times.
And that would be per poster (for the whole lot), for the right buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've taken a few photos of the unexpected bits that came with my MECCG lot.

Here are the sealed packs of promo cards. The shrink wrap seems a bit inconsistent; some seem packed with side-by-side stacks, others are singly wrapped. I guess it probably depends on which set they were for as to how they were packaged?

And the unsealed packs. You can see Fatty Bolger was packed with another card stack that has since come loose. Additionally, Fury of the Iron Crown and Neeker Breekers are flipped; their package was folded so they were back-to-back, tearing the plastic down the center.

After comparing my pins to those in the image I linked in the OP, it appears I have a complete set of 10, plus a half set of just the Istari, and 2 extra Gandalfs (one of which has been flipped over to show what the back of all of them look like).

I actually have 4 of these Dwar the Ringwraith promo postcards, not 3. They're all like this, with an image of the card on a black background on one side, and a promo postcard on the other. The cardstock isn't terribly heavy, so the corners are slightly dinged on these, but otherwise they're in great shape.

These InQuest checklists were slightly wavy when they arrived, but it's nothing a few days atop a warm window sill under a few books can't fix.

I tried to get a picture of these that shows the marker pen signature, but I don't know that they're all that visible. Anyway, these are the Liz Danforth signed cards: 1x Akhorahil and 2x Catch An Elusive Scent.

And finally, this pile of cards currently being squeezed in a case with some additional rulebooks (of which there were loads) are actually more promos. I don't have an exact inventory of these yet, as I wanted to see what can be salvaged before I decide what to do with them. They were loose and mixed in with the other cards, as well as a few that got tossed about a bit in the shipping container. Most of them are in good condition, although you can see that the remnants of a long ago goopified rubber band still clings to some of the edges. Most of them are nothing a little warmth and pressure can't fix. I'll thin out the herd and probably trade the least-damaged-but-not-mint ones for play use.

So that's what I now have sitting on my gaming table, awaiting some decision as to what to do with them all. If anyone knows how these were distributed originally, and what their relative rarity might be, I'd appreciate any insights you grizzled MECCG veterans can share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nuts! I forgot all about the pack of posters. I'll have to get another picture and upload that over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find

The English promos are worth around 2-5 € each (see http://eaglecard.org/ or http://mathom.es/es/316-promocionales or http://www.gwaihir.net/singles.php).

The pins, the coins and the rings are very nice collector items. I've seen the coins and pins in the 20-30 € range. I don't have the least idea about how much the rings are worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man!!

I am absolutely craving a set of Pins and those Liz Danforth cards....

If you decide to sell 'em piecemeal, think of me won't you?
Or: if you want to sell the whole lot, I'm in!

(Of course if you decide to Keep'em yourself, I must salute your Superior Collectors' Mojo™ !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I just stumbled upon this, from the official MECCG newsletter (#5) (see p. 12-13):

Quote:
How did the idea of rings, coins & pins begin?

Monica [Wilson, ICE employee at the time]: A bunch of us got together and brainstormed about what would make cool, unique prize swag. Our President, Pete, is a fairly creative artist-type guy, and I think he came up with the idea of using the rings as unique prizes. The Master Wizard pins were my idea--I thought that multiple-tournament winners wouldn't want to wear multiple rings, but they would want to wear multiple pins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Heemskerk
msg tools
mb
That is one very nice load of swag to get thrown in as a bonus!

I'd actually not heard of that Dwar postcard yet.

I think the ringwraith buttons were only made for the ringwraiths that have a challenge deck, so your set of 10 different avatar-buttons is complete.

Don't think a pack of posters is worth top price per poster times number in pack though. Why would anyone want more than just one great copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwaihir the Windlord wrote:
I think the ringwraith buttons were only made for the ringwraiths that have a challenge deck, so your set of 10 different avatar-buttons is complete.

I have an Adunaphel pin. Perhaps they were made for all the Ringwraiths?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Adunapel pin with Ren/Khamul (and the back side). Measurements in cm.
Any ideas why such a difference?
Plus, the back side of Adunapehl has plastic insert, which prevents the pin from moving a lot. Much better than Ren/Khamul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Ziolkowski
Poland
Warszawa
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot confirm it right now, because have all of these stuff in my old home. But im pretty sure this smaller pin is non official item, produced 2-3 years ago. So it should be something new in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Ziolkowski
Poland
Warszawa
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it took me some time but have a photo. Here you have official and non-official pins (and not only them). Sorry for bad quality, was taken by phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.