Subject: Forest and Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7.2 « A block that moves into or through an enemy-controlled hex immediately takes control of the hex if no enemy Fortress or blocks are present. After all movement is complete, adjust Control markers as needed »

I’m slightly confused by those sentences that seem in conflict.
Does control change immediately or at the end of the movement phase?

When moving into an enemy unoccupied forest hex, you may detach a 1 SP block to stop into the hex and take control. If change occurs immediately, the forest is now friendly controlled, and 7.2.3 restriction now longer applies to the bulk of the army, which could be useful during the opening moves through Belgium.

I am really surprised to see that the mountainous area between Belfort and Strasburg (hexes K-L 07-09) has no effect on play…

Thierry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:

When moving into an enemy unoccupied forest hex, you may detach a 1 SP block to stop into the hex and take control. If change occurs immediately, the forest is now friendly controlled, and 7.2.3 restriction now longer applies to the bulk of the army, which could be useful during the opening moves through Belgium.

It's not that useful - units that start in forest aren't restricted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:

I am really surprised to see that the mountainous area between Belfort and Strasburg (hexes K-L 07-09) has no effect on play…

Thierry

I think Kurt was trying to keep things simple with regard to terrain in the game's early going. Everything changes when trench warfare starts and movement is much slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:

It's not that useful - units that start in forest aren't restricted.

Good point, I had forgotten that detail soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:
7.2 « A block that moves into or through an enemy-controlled hex immediately takes control of the hex if no enemy Fortress or blocks are present. After all movement is complete, adjust Control markers as needed »

I’m slightly confused by those sentences that seem in conflict.
Does control change immediately or at the end of the movement phase?

Immediately. Control markers are only needed on the frontline (not in every hex on the map) thus the last sentence is a reminder to move or place them (if you haven't already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Ack! You're right, 7.2.3 needs some rewording. The intent was forest would stop the move if the hex didn't begin under your control.

Fortunately I don't think it will have a huge impact on play. That section of the map doesn't see much action after the Opening Move unless the Allies breakthrough in the center. Then again at the end of the campaign, in which case if the Allies are there, it's over for the Central Powers regardless of terrain effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Simplicity won out on this one. The majority of the game is played in a state of trench warfare, and the trench is the dominant terrain feature in terms of rules. We had to decide if we wanted to add a complete set of rules for mountain terrain that would have to flow through three or more sections of the rule book. These additional rules would likely only have an effect for turns 1-3. Also weighting in the decision was the fact that we had done a lot of play testing without mountain terrain rules and players really enjoyed the freedom of movement in the South. So in the end we decided to leave them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for those answers, Kurt.
I'm just discovering and "soloing" the game right now. I really enjoy it and I'm eagerly waiting for my first FtF session.

I do understand the quest for simplicity, and that easy Plan XVII targets offer more threats... and more fun.

But I personally would have favored a more historical approach with some simple restrictions on Breakthrough. Just my two cents...

A last question: why no free retreat for cavalry if not engaged by enemy cavalry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Ack! You're right, 7.2.3 needs some rewording. The intent was forest would stop the move if the hex didn't begin under your control.

Fortunately I don't think it will have a huge impact on play. That section of the map doesn't see much action after the Opening Move unless the Allies breakthrough in the center. Then again at the end of the campaign, in which case if the Allies are there, it's over for the Central Powers regardless of terrain effects.

Draft errata

7.2.3, pg. 14, Terrain: Blocks moving from a clear or river hex into a forest hex that began the current Block Movement step under enemy-control must stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
p38_Lightning wrote:
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Draft errata

7.2.3, pg. 14, Terrain: Blocks moving from a clear or river hex into a forest hex that began the current Block Movement step under enemy-control must stop.

I have to wonder if it's even worth having forest represented in the game. Usually the German units that move in during the opening move won't be affected because they start in forest hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
p38_Lightning wrote:
p38_Lightning wrote:
Thierry Aradan wrote:

Draft errata

I have to wonder if it's even worth having forest represented in the game. Usually the German units that move in during the opening move won't be affected because they start in forest hexes.

If the Central Powers leave a hole in their center lines the forest will limit a cavalry breakout towards Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.