Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if a post like this is allowed on here because it will be promoting apps, so I understand if it gets deleted, but I figured I'd share what I've been doing.

No, I'm not selling my body. So my wife and I are saving for a house, travel and retirement so instead of dipping into the monthly finances or budgeting for games I've been using rebate apps to gain a tidy sum. I won't mention dollar amounts for posterity, but I have enough to buy 2 heavy euro games.

I've been using bevRAGE, Ibotta, Checkout 51, MobiSave and just started using EBates. Just link all these to a PayPal account and bam! Real money to buy real games. All that reciept scanning is translating into time at the table with my hard earned game.

It's also curbed my impulse buying and following the cult of the new so I don't buy every game that I think looks cool.

I hope someone can find this useful and if you have any other apps that make money for shopping please comment! (I haven't tried any of the mystery shopper apps yet, because those take extra time so if you have, let me know how they work!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to use swagbucks, but haven't in a long time. You've inspired me to start again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Quickthoughts for Amazon money. For me it's $2/survey, which range from a few minutes to 30 minutes to complete. YMMV on that front as my wife didn't get a consistent $2, usually less. (Not sure if that's demographics or what.) If you're diligent (and lucky to a certain extent) you can rack up quite a nice chunk of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Sims
United States
Hillsboro
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacic wrote:
We use Quickthoughts for Amazon money. For me it's $2/survey, which range from a few minutes to 30 minutes to complete. YMMV on that front as my wife didn't get a consistent $2, usually less. (Not sure if that's demographics or what.) If you're diligent (and lucky to a certain extent) you can rack up quite a nice chunk of money.

How fast do you earn enough to redeem?

I just signed up today and did 2 surveys. Both were 50 cents..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clarke
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get paid money into a paypal account for filling out a few questions on a survey? Not heard of this before. Is it taxable? How many complete surveys do you have to go through to buy a £50 game?

I would assume some places are scams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the things I mentioned above are not scams, and none of it is taxable. I contacted the services with that question and they said they were not taxable.

I tried out Quick Thoughts for a little while and it wasn't too profitable; for me at least. It took a little too long to fill out the surveys and they only have me 50 cents, so I'm sticking with rebates.

Field Agent looks like another app that could potentially pay out big, but you have to be in store and scanning items.

I collected rebates for a year and bought almost everything from Imperial Assualt, from Return to Hoth through the current wave. Not to say I didn't buy any other games when I could, but I was saving this up for a big purchase where I knew I wouldn't use all of it at once. I knew I would eventually buy it all, so this saved me a ton on shipping since I didn't buy them individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raver84 wrote:
You get paid money into a paypal account for filling out a few questions on a survey? Not heard of this before. Is it taxable? How many complete surveys do you have to go through to buy a £50 game?
I did this for a while. If you've got time to kill it's not horrible. Sometimes the surveys are interesting. It takes a bit of effort to find the "better", i.e. more profitable, surveys. But after a while it got to me and started feeling like a grind. To actually make a decent amount of money, you're putting in a lot of time. It's not hard work or anything, but it can be very tedious.

I'm sure if you actually made enough money at it, that it would technically be taxable. But I doubt you'll make enough money at it for that to be a real concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am neither lawyer nor tax professional, but generally in the U.S.:

1. All sources of income are taxable. That includes any few dollars you might receive in return for (or as a 'prize' for) online surveys or other such activities.

2. Cash back or rebate offers are not considered income; rather, they are discounts on things you have purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This obviously depends on your locale, and the yearly income from this is likely small, but it is almost certainly taxable. In the US especially, all income is taxable. The IRS will have specific exceptions, but I can promise you "online survey taking" is not one of them. Here's a question (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2958292-is-income-you-earn...) on Intuit discussing it (specifically it's talking about the EITC, which is irrelevant here, but they clearly label the income as taxable income).

At a guess I'd say England's tax laws work similarly (governments like their money, after all).

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a tax professional.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I'm sure if you actually made enough money at it, that it would technically be taxable. But I doubt you'll make enough money at it for that to be a real concern.

that Matt wrote:

I am neither lawyer nor tax professional, but generally in the U.S.:

1. All sources of income are taxable. That includes any few dollars you might receive in return for (or as a 'prize' for) online surveys or other such activities.

2. Cash back or rebate offers are not considered income; rather, they are discounts on things you have purchased.

Within 30 minutes three responses talking about the tax implications... who knew BGG had such a tax-savvy userbase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ownerofthescythe wrote:
who knew BGG had such a tax-savvy userbase?
It doesn't take much savvy to know that the government is going to try to tax you as much as they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, 'tis the season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ibotta and use it regularly. thumbsup

As for MobiSave, Checkout51, etc, I have halfheartedly downloaded some of them but never got in the habit of using them. Are they worth using and comparable to Ibotta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkout 51 is pretty good. You can get multiple rebates for the same item if you buy a couple of them. MobiSave is not that great, but also doesn't require you to scan items. The rebates are generic like any peanut butter, any toilet paper...The rebates are only 10-40 cents, but it doesn't take that much effort. It's like a reverse coupon and it's in your paypal pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.