Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Equilibrista ^_^
Italy
Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,
my Descent box has arrived 10 mins ago... I'm trying to be ready for the first try this Friday nite. I've done a search for "2 players" but after a few hit pages I got lost

I've been reading the rules but I have these doubts:

- if we're 2 players does it mean 1 controls the OL and 1 controls at least 2 heroes? In case we use the app and go for RtL, can we then just use 1 hero each?

- In this case, the rule of plus one attack per turn per hero is it something optional or mandatory? It seems to me this would unbalance the game toward heroes.

- what would you suggest for 2 players? going app+RtL, play OL versus Hero, or go for the campaign?

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

1. Yes. The game can be played with 2 players, either one player using the heroes (minimum of 2 heroes) and one playing the Overlord, OR 2 players playing one hero each and using the App.

2. The "two-hero rule" is mandatory, it is considered to be part of the base game rules at this point. It is intended to balance out the lack of team synergy when playing with only 2 heroes (so no dedicated healer, or short one dedicated damage or tank hero).

3. Depends on your group. I would suggest using the App and running through the "Rise of All Goblins" campaign. The beginning of the campaign is a tutorial on how to use the app. Make sure you have the CRRG (https://descent-community.org/index.php/crrg/) available on another device for reference.

The reason I suggest starting with the app is that despite there being more rules (you need to know the base game rules, and the RTL rules, and sometimes they differ), the app does handle most of the bookkeeping, and since both players are playing on the same side, you can make mistakes without feeling like one player is cheating or interpreting the rules to their benefit.

Plus, honestly playing the OL isn't much fun till you have a solid hang of the game and buy a plot deck you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play two player but have never played using an OL as my girlfriend and I prefer co-op games so we use the RtL app for the campaign. We love the game. You do need at least two heros to play with the app and the hero can make more than one attack per turn but the turns are turn based, so hero goes, then one group of monsters, then other hero, then other group of monsters.

It's not really a difficult game but it's not easy either. I felt that the tutorial is harder than the campaign and that the side quests are more difficult than the story quests.

The app adds a lot to the game with sound effects and not revealing tiles until you open a door. I highly suggest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Equilibrista ^_^
Italy
Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nivanor wrote:
You do need at least two heros to play with the app and the hero can make more than one attack per turn but the turns are turn based, so hero goes, then one group of monsters, then other hero, then other group of monsters.

Am I wrong or since we'll be 2 players we'll have 3 possible attack turns? 2 actions plus 1 "bonus" as per rule.

Anyway you both got me sold on the app... can't wait to try it this Friday with my friend.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Czerwonka
United States
Orland Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app will not teach you everything so learn what dice to roll, what surges mean, monster parties # to place (back of card at bottom).

You'll need the book handy as you play as you will have many questions.

The app is he way to go though as it will help learn the game, but rules are a bit different on gameplay per boxed rules. Follow the app and not the monster card on some things, etc.. there is a PDF out there for the app version, read those instructions before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what your players are like, I would suggest RtL 4 characters (2 each). It gives you far more interesting decisions and you're less likely to get bored with one of your characters. If you want to role-play it a little more, then that's when I think you'd choose 1 character each (along with the extra attack rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugo Perillo
Italy
Salerno
flag msg tools
mbmb
torakikiii wrote:
Nivanor wrote:
You do need at least two heros to play with the app and the hero can make more than one attack per turn but the turns are turn based, so hero goes, then one group of monsters, then other hero, then other group of monsters.

Am I wrong or since we'll be 2 players we'll have 3 possible attack turns? 2 actions plus 1 "bonus" as per rule.

Anyway you both got me sold on the app... can't wait to try it this Friday with my friend.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Esatto! ma se non fai l'attacco bonus, puoi recuperare due cuori..
ed in due, senza curatore, รจ indispensabile altrimenti non vai molto lontano

Consiglio: stampati le regole dell'App, soprattutto la parte delle AZIONI (SPOT, etc etc), ti serviranno a chiarire i dubbi mentre giochi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torakikiii wrote:
Hi there,
my Descent box has arrived 10 mins ago... I'm trying to be ready for the first try this Friday nite. I've done a search for "2 players" but after a few hit pages I got lost

I've been reading the rules but I have these doubts:

- if we're 2 players does it mean 1 controls the OL and 1 controls at least 2 heroes? In case we use the app and go for RtL, can we then just use 1 hero each?

- In this case, the rule of plus one attack per turn per hero is it something optional or mandatory? It seems to me this would unbalance the game toward heroes.

- what would you suggest for 2 players? going app+RtL, play OL versus Hero, or go for the campaign?

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers.

The game has always been heavily balanced towards 4 heroes. Personally I think the best way to play (although it will not work that smoothly with the app) is to follow Imperial Assault rules - 2 heroes, each gets 10 extra health and has 2 full activations (each having 2 actions) and all the rules (monster quantity etc) follow 4 heroes rules.

As for the app/OL - personally I play 2 players mostly with an overlord, it just more fun, but it depends on the taste, do you prefer a versus mode or coop mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.