Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony LeBlanc
United States
Paragould
Arkansas
flag msg tools
This card reads "Before the encounter, one hero loses 1 health"

I understand if you don't accept the encounter it doesn't apply, but if you do is that effect permanent? I've been playing this -1 health during the encounter and +1 after the encounter's conclusion. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fight the fire elemental, one hero takes one damage token before the encounter starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and you don't automatically get it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true for other "before the encounter" penalties.

For Wraith's Drain ability (Before the encounter, convert one item to XP), you cannot convert it back from XP to an item after the encounter.

For Ice Elemental's Frost ability (Before the encounter, spend 3 time), you do not get the time back onto the deck after the encounter.

As nightmarish as these monsters may seem, they are real, and their effects don't just go away when you "wake up" from the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WAIT, THEY’RE REAL???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W.
msg tools
So should the wording be different? The game's rules generally refer to taking damage, not losing health. It's a semantic issue but consistency would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card doesn't actually say to lose health - it just says, "Before the encounter, lose heart."

But you are correct in that it would be consistent to change "lose" to "take" in these places:

Fire Elemental Flames
Lich's Tomb Blade Storm (twice)
Yeti's Cavern Freezing Winds
Rogue Daring Gamble (both sides should say "Take heart and spend " - best I could do for an hourglass)
Archer Kiting
Paladin Armor (twice)

The Boss Fight card should change "lose" to "spend" says "If you lose due to a skill (ex. Dodge), no effect."

Although I have to admit that I don't understand that last part, since I don't think that any skill (including Dodge) requires spending time. Archer Kiting already treats Boss Fights specially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
The card doesn't actually say to lose health - it just says, "Before the encounter, lose heart."

But you are correct in that it would be consistent to change "lose" to "take" in these places:

Fire Elemental Flames
Lich's Tomb Blade Storm (twice)
Yeti's Cavern Freezing Winds
Rogue Daring Gamble (both sides should say "Take heart and spend " - best I could do for an hourglass)
Archer Kiting
Paladin Armor (twice)

The Boss Fight card should change "lose" to "spend" says "If you lose due to a skill (ex. Dodge), no effect."

Although I have to admit that I don't understand that last part, since I don't think that any skill (including Dodge) requires spending time. Archer Kiting already treats Boss Fights specially.

Yeah - that wording on the Boss card refers to an old version of a skill that no longer exists, oops.

And the lose / take wordings are changing in the next printing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.