Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this mentioned in the book but how are player turns and reactions handled in a team game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Procopio
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We go in turn order for turn-overs, but let reactions be up for grabs to the highest roller. Keeps everybody at the table very much in the game even when it's not their turn.

There are a lot of house ruled approaches out there for this, though, including one that I can't remember which involves a card deck somehow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Procopio
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I found the file I had in which I compiled the various approaches to this issue:

Two examples of four-player free-for-all games:
1) Two teams want to destroy an artifact, two teams want to claim it, but the winner is the one who performs their objective (destroying or claiming), but they are not paired with a team who wishes a similar goal, since the gods only favor those who actually do the deed!
2) Four teams are in a free for all, but there are some powerful artifacts. If a team activates the artifact, it becomes a construct who fights on their side.

Player elimination rule:
When I did multiplayer in Mighty Monsters, if a player’s big monster was defeated, they got to come back with a squad of tanks, planes, and helicopters to destroy any and all monsters attacking “their” town. You could do this in a fantasy game, too. If a player goes out, they stay in the game but have some sort of creature that rises from a random spot on the map (size evenly distributed spots determined by a die roll of d6 should do it) and attacks nearby foes.

Multi-player turn order:

I modify the card system slightly where on the first round, the person who got dealt the lowest card goes first and then it goes highest to lowest. After all the cards are played, all but the person who went last gets a card. The highest card goes and then the person who doesn't have a card gets one. Again go from highest to lowest until all the cards are played and then repeat. This is an easy way to ensure that someone doesn't get two turns in a row and that the person who will go last on that first round doesn't get completely left out in the cold.

Multi-player turn order with turnover rule:
I've played SDS with 4 to 8 players, and we had a way of deciding turns that worked well. Every person had a playing card that represented them, every turn they were shuffled and the card turned went next. It worked well as it meant you could have two turns very close or far apart, and it really works well with the pace created with the turnover rule. If the last player of the turn should be drawn first on the next, the opposing side can object, in which case the cards are reshuffled. If they are drawn first again no further objection can be made. Cards are turned as turnovers occur, not at the beginning of the turn, so players have no idea when their turn may happen.

Three-player free-for-all game:
When player A is done, roll one die, on a 1-3 player B starts his turn, on a 4-6 player C starts his turn. This seems to work fairly well at keeping a certain level of tension. You could also simply have all players roll a die and who gets the highest result goes next, ties get to re-roll until a player is decided. Of course, you can scale this for 4-5-6 player versus and even more.

Two-player per side team game:
When player 1 from Team A is done, roll one die, on a 1-3 player 1 from Team B starts, on a 4-6 player 2 from Team A starts. again you could have the players roll of for higher results, but the key thing here is that each side gets to go, mitigating the risk that the game stays in the hand of one side too long. Again, you can scale this for 3v3-, 4v4-, 5v5-player games and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.