Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62» Forums » General

Subject: Solo details ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How robust is the solitaire system for this game? I am quite interested in the topic but if I guy the game, solo is probably the only way it will get played.
So any deeper details about the solo system, how rigorous has the system been play-tested,etc would be welcome.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
How robust is the solitaire system for this game? I am quite interested in the topic but if I guy the game, solo is probably the only way it will get played.
So any deeper details about the solo system, how rigorous has the system been play-tested,etc would be welcome.


I helped playtest it and yes it has been rigorously playtested. This is the guy who developed the solo rules for this one:

Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb


It was a difficult challenge considering there is only ONE A.I. to fight against. So things needed to be tweaked for this system.

Also, as a side note, but an important one, I believe only the Short Scenario will be playable solo. But you may be able to use the solo rules for the other longer scenarios, though I'm not sure what results you'll get. (I think solo rules for the longer campaigns will be made available later on--as it was a long process to hammer out the short solo rules that will come with the box game).

Either way, the solo rules worked really well and provided a hell of a challenge.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more details can be found in this article:
http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=16463

I see you have Fire in the Lake, are you familiar with it's bot? Same system here. The bot in Colonial Twilight might look a bit more complex, but since you only have to run one bot, I found it to be the most managable COIN game to play against the bots.

I have playtested the bot and I played around 24 test-games, I don't know exactly how many games the other testers played. There were issues found and the bot tightened and in the end I think it is a real challenge to win this game. And a fun one.

I'm sure Vesa will chime in soon

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias and Vesa worked very hard to hammer out the FLN 'bot and I think you will enjoy using it.
As Gordon remarked, it has been optimized for the scenario which is the shortest and most intense, and is probably the one that will be played most (with 3 Propaganda Rounds and most of the pieces deployed on the board at the beginning, I had test games regularly clocking in at around 90 minutes).
However, the principles guiding the 'bots decisions are clear and there should be little problem adapting behaviour for the medium and long scenarios (which are 4 and 5 Prop Rounds respectively, so even these go quickly).

I would also point out that, like all the other COIN system games so far, there is no hidden information in the game and with only two factions in the game instead of four, it becomes much easier for a lone player to take both sides, instead of trying to handle up to three 'bots (or even four, as a week or two ago there was a discussion about people who had tried playing "nullitaire" - that is, four bots all fighting each other).

Brian
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:


I would also point out that, like all the other COIN system games so far, there is no hidden information in the game and with only two factions in the game instead of four, it becomes much easier for a lone player to take both sides, instead of trying to handle up to three 'bots (or even four, as a week or two ago there was a discussion about people who had tried playing "nullitaire" - that is, four bots all fighting each other).

Brian


I have actually played this game mainly playing both sides and works really well, especially considering only one Card is flipped up at a time.

(Brian, I hope at some point you are able to port some of your other 2-player games to GMT's COIN system. Like Shining Path for example. Because the 2 player COIN game I think far exceeded my expectations.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Gordon, is that some kind of retro-retro-fitting you are describing?

Since Shining Path begat Algeria, which partly begat the COIN system.
Someone, I think it was Charles Vasey, said in his taciturn way that Shining Path was "COIN before it discovered meeples".

Brian
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
How robust is the solitaire system for this game? I am quite interested in the topic but if I guy the game, solo is probably the only way it will get played.
So any deeper details about the solo system, how rigorous has the system been play-tested,etc would be welcome.


Hi Kevin,

As others have noted, CT ships with a solo system of the kind known from the other games in the COIN Series. The box will contain an FLN bot (no Govt bot) and it was optimized for the short scenario.

I can safely say this was rigorously tested. The number of games Matthias alone played and sent to me is huge (I've still got the Vassal logs) and, together with what I and others did, this might well be unprecedented for a COIN game. Of course, why we were able to test this so much is because this is such a quick playing COIN.

As the InsideGMT piece linked to above explains, having played my fair share of Fire in the Lake and a bunch of other COINs solo, I think CT is a special COIN to solo because Brian's design is a special kind of a COIN: a 2-player game, quick playing, cut-throat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masil wrote:
The box will contain an FLN bot (no Govt bot)


As a spokesperson for the nullitaire crowd, I'm disappointed that there is no Gov Bot. That means I will probably have to pass on this game. That sucks. I was looking forward to it.

On the other hand, maybe I will challenge myself with creating a Gov Bot myself. That might be fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
masil wrote:
The box will contain an FLN bot (no Govt bot)


As a spokesperson for the nullitaire crowd, I'm disappointed that there is no Gov Bot. That means I will probably have to pass on this game. That sucks. I was looking forward to it.

On the other hand, maybe I will challenge myself with creating a Gov Bot myself. That might be fun.


I don't believe that you are a spokesperson for the nullitaire crowd because your post was not accompanied by a diagram of the flowchart that produced it.
I suspect you of being a living person, possessed of free will and imagination.

I suppose you could get an inkling of the nullitaire experience, by watching two other people play this game.

Brian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
I suppose you could get an inkling of the nullitaire experience, by watching two other people play this game.


Perhaps. But I would like it better if they were robots. Or at least people who played according to strict unbreakable rules. I'm weird like that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weteor wrote:
A few more details can be found in this article:
http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=16463

I see you have Fire in the Lake, are you familiar with it's bot? Same system here. The bot in Colonial Twilight might look a bit more complex, but since you only have to run one bot, I found it to be the most managable COIN game to play against the bots.

I have playtested the bot and I played around 24 test-games, I don't know exactly how many games the other testers played. There were issues found and the bot tightened and in the end I think it is a real challenge to win this game. And a fun one.

I'm sure Vesa will chime in soon


Thanks for bringing the article up. I did read it and found it helpful. Hopefully others will catch this and see your link and go take a look too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone. Very helpful.
It sure sounds like I better take the plunge on this one. It's different enough from other COIN games I think and it just looks so interesting.

Can one of you explain to my wife that this isn't just "another game"...?

shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Annnnnnd he's now committed...

Preordered it.

If the wife asks, I'm gonna plead the fifth...of booze!
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lunga wrote:


Can one of you explain to my wife that this isn't just "another game"...?

shake


LOL!

If anyone comes up with such an explanation that works, please share! I need one badly as well!

Quote:
nulitaire


For what it's worth, I've got a skeleton of a Govt bot but we ran out of time to complete it...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.