Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to get a Wargame. I know its kind of a broad question but I'm looking for something to fill that void in my collection.
I do not have an issue with length or complexity. So far my top choice is Pax Romana but want to know if there is any other I should be looking at. The only thing I want to stay away from is games that require multiple kits, or expansions to flourish.
I am not familiar with War Games which is why I'm asking this question, but that doesn't mean I mind jumping in the deep end.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Wait, are there simple wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to suggest three very different games:

(1)
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit 1 seems to fit the bill.

This is tactical / battleground level. Meaning that terrain, line of sight, and the like matters.

Yes, there are expansions (many of them), but out of the box you have tons of game and depth.

(2) Axis & Allies

There are several permutations of this game out there.

Although not a complicated (nor necessarily realistic) rules set, the game is, I think, "complicated" in the vast variety of choices and concerns each player is faced with.

This is a grand scale, strategic level game.

(3)
Strike of the Eagle

This is a very unique wargame in which luck is minimized and there's a lot of hidden information (including the units on the board themselves - these aren't initially known by one's opposing player).

The scale of the game is between ASL and A&A.

---

Finally, I'd be remiss in failing to plug my favorite wargame: Command and Colors Ancients. It's not complicated at all, but a great game. Yes, there are five expansions to the game, but, even more so that ASLSK1, the initial game box gives you everything you need to play a complete game. (The expansions really simply provide additional scenarios and the armies to use for them - they really don't tack on additional rules to the base game itself.)

Given that you're looking at Pax Romana, you might like this theme.

This game operates on the same scale, more or less, as ASL: battlefield level.

---

Let me throw out two additional WWII recommendations:

Conflict of Heroes and Memoir '44.

Conflict of Heroes is, in my opinion, a simplified version of ASL. Unlike ASL, the entire game comes in one box. No significant (or necessary) expansions for the full game experience. Nicer components too.

Memoir '44 is (in my opinion), the little brother of Command & Colors: Ancients. Same basic rules set. Initially, a simpler game than CCA. But there are a multitude of expansions that add special units and terrain, ratcheting up the game's complexity a bit.

There's a lot to chew on - good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gimodude wrote:
I'm looking to get a Wargame. I know its kind of a broad question but I'm looking for something to fill that void in my collection.
I do not have an issue with length or complexity. So far my top choice is Pax Romana but want to know if there is any other I should be looking at. The only thing I want to stay away from is games that require multiple kits, or expansions to flourish.
I am not familiar with War Games which is why I'm asking this question, but that doesn't mean I mind jumping in the deep end.
Thanks!

Pax Romana is a good choice, but it's loooong. As long as that suits you you're set.

Most wargamers come looking with a particular era in mind. Do you have one?

And how many players are we talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sagrilarus wrote:
gimodude wrote:
Thanks!

Pax Romana is a good choice, but it's loooong. As long as that suits you you're set.

Most wargamers come looking with a particular era in mind. Do you have one?

And how many players are we talking about?

Yep...if you like the era, Pax Romana can be a lot of fun. Nice one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Gives me a lot to research! I am not picky on the era since any era in military history is interesting in its own way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 is not a complex wargame.

- Will you be playing solitaire, 2 players or multi-player?

- What era are you most interested in; Ancients, Napoleonic, American Civil War, WWII, modern?

- Hexes, cards, area, point-to-point?

- Air, land or sea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top on my list of recommendations is Empire of the Sun, by Mark Herman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    If you're looking for multi-player the other two I'd recommend are Britannia and Angola, both of which are best-of-show titles. Great games. Neither is terribly complex rules-wise, but plenty of complexity on the board.

Oh, and Here I Stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have ready opponents to play with? The reason I ask is that while you might want to jump in the deep end, your normal opponents that are used to euros (for example) may not If that's the case, and you want a multiplayer wargame that's kind of a "transition" game, I'd take a look at Maria. It's probably not as complex as you ultimately want, but there's some depth/heft to it while still being relatively streamlined and euro-friendly). If you've got players who are already on board with you, I still recommend Maria as a great/fun game, but with the caveat that it's not on the complex/marathon end of wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble

After you watch Bruce Geryck's three reviews of three games on DPH. The reason is because he weaves a lot of game-design theory in his reviews and are imo essential background for making a move into wargames:

Now, his actual final video on The Final Gamble is not out yet, but you can get a sense of where he's going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.