Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Smith
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions seem to suggest that in beginning, once a random player has been assigned Brenn and all the initial board placements have been made, that you begin the first assembly phase of the game by checking Brenn. Am I correct in saying that the Brenn can immediately be assigned to someone else at that time if they hold the majority in the capital? Does the Brenn marker switch hands even before any season has been played?

Example for clarification:

---Steve is randomly assigned Brenn
---Steve puts the capital in the cove
---During initial clan placement, Steve thinks that he has Brenn for this upcoming season, and for whatever reason does not put both of his clans in the capital, but only one
---Martha, the player going last this round, sees this and puts her second clan in the capital in order to have both clans in there
---No one else has two clans in the capital, and the first assembly phase begins. The question is, does Martha now claim the Brenn marker?

How I'm reading the instructions, she does, and all the rest of the normal assembly steps happen as well (including flipping the Flock of Crows again). Is this right? What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're correct. The first, random, Brenn assignment is strictly just for game setup. At the start of the first assembly phase the Brenn is determined the usual way, by seeing who has the most clans in the capital.

The Brenn randomly chosen at setup can effectively guarantee being the Brenn for the first turn by placing his first clan in the capital, and then his second clan as well if any players match his first. Worst case, someone else has 2 clans in the capital as well but in the case of a tie the Brenn doesn't switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Smith
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You're correct. The first, random, Brenn assignment is strictly just for game setup. At the start of the first assembly phase the Brenn is determined the usual way, by seeing who has the most clans in the capital.

The Brenn randomly chosen at setup can effectively guarantee being the Brenn for the first turn by placing his first clan in the capital, and then his second clan as well if any players match his first. Worst case, someone else has 2 clans in the capital as well but in the case of a tie the Brenn doesn't switch.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I assume the Flock of Crows is then flipped again during the first assembly for a total of two times before the first season phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuned2g wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I assume the Flock of Crows is then flipped again during the first assembly for a total of two times before the first season phase?

Correct. You may trigger the Gates on the first round due to a Flock switch. It makes you think twice about starting in the Gates or taking it over with just 1 or 2 clan members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Smith
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Correct. You may trigger the Gates on the first round due to a Flock switch. It makes you think twice about starting in the Gates or taking it over with just 1 or 2 clan members.

Oh wow, someone noticed this, haha! Yes, I figured this. Gotta love the Gates of Tir Na Nog!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuned2g wrote:
Quote:

Oh wow, someone noticed this, haha! Yes, I figured this. Gotta love the Gates of Tir Na Nog!

Well, it was very important in the last game I played a couple of days ago. The Lost Value ended up as our capital. I knew there would be a big fight for Bren early on. Having that as capital means the Bren will build a large army there, then go out and attack, then bring the army back to keep Bren. So I opted for a different strategy. I put both of my starting units on the Gates and of course lost one right away. But I immediately got the red card that builds clans based on sanctuaries because of it. So that set my strategy. Build up sanctuaries in the gates and make it even more difficult to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.