Cultists of Cthulhu» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Eichhorn

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried our first game last night, using the Cultists of Cthulhu scenario. When the star chart hit 20, the number needed to reveal the cultist, there were five tentacles on the sheet. Here are the questions that arose at this point:

1) Do all five of the tentacles spawn as cultists when the cultist is revealed?
2) Can they all spawn in the same square?
3) Does each spawning cultist roll the monster power die?
4) If more cultists are spawned as a result of the power die, do they roll the power die as well? This seems like it could lead to spawning an excessive number of cultists?

We ruled that all five cultists could spawn in same square, but only the first rolled the monster power die. Still, they all moved as a group and immediately attacked an academic. Here we had a combat question:

5) A combat card had a weird effect that reversed the damage dealt between the attacker and defender. Both the attacker and defender had the weird result on their rolls. Does the damage switch once or twice in this case?

6) The cultist weird result also causes an additional wound. Is this effect also reversed due to the combat weird result from question 5?

The five cultist combats resulted in the death of the academic, despite starting at full health. Perhaps that is thematic, but it was really disheartening for the player to be mobbed with no warning or effective means of defense.

I enjoy the game, but I think a comprehensive FAQ of these and other situations will go a long way toward making it great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eliot
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Roll once
4) Nope
5) Reverses twice, so back to normal.
6) Monster weird effects are applied separately from the combat weird effect - think of it as happening just after the combat resolves.

I'm working on assembling a FAQ. Thank you for contributing to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.