Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Nilsson
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Just got this game and only played one scenario so far and loved it but I have a question regarding enemy movement.

Sometimes the app says "moves 2 spaces towards the closest investigator" and sometimes it says "moves up to 2 spaces towards the closest investigator".

If is says "moves 2 spaces", does it have to move 2 or does it stop if it reaches an investigator on the first space and there is no investigator on the second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The nearest investigator is always an investigator in your apace...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time it leaves a space with investigators (as I've experiences so far, at least), is if it wants to get in a space (or withing range) of as many investigators as possible, or it's moving towards a specific target (like a specific room/tile)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also sometimes want to target an investigator within range with a certain stat, which will make them leave the current investigator they are with if there is a juicier one within their movement instruction.

As for the OP, there are two things of importance.

Firstly, 'toward' is defined in the RRG and it is clear that when moving toward something, you must make the distance smaller with every step. If a monster is already 0 spaces away from the target if in the same space, it cannot get closer and will forfeit further movement. This goes for tiles too; if a monster is one space away from a tile and moves two spaces towards it, then it will stop on the first space of the tile it enters and not move further, even though it was given a 2 space instruction.

I've never actually seen an "up to" instruction given by the app. This wording would actually imply the investigators can choose how many spaces towards the figure it moves, including 0 spaces if they so wish. I haven't done all the scenarios yet, so it's possible I missed a case of this. Are you sure the app actually gave that instruction? Can you mention which scenario and which monster type it was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.