Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Natalie Fabian

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, not with Han Solo.

This is my first BGG con. My friend and I planned to go to BGG.Spring together, but now she may not be able to. I've already got my ticket, hotel, etc. At other cons I would have no problems finding open games, but as I've never been to any BGG event, I'm not sure how this works.

Should I try to find another friend to go with, or are there enough games going on that I can wander around and find people to play with?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of games going on, with enough Players Wanted flags available so that you shouldn't have an issue finding people to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded. Many open games and plenty of people willing or hoping you will come along to join the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going with a friend is always fun! If you can bring someone, go for it. The more the merrier!

That being said, you can absolutely go solo and just wander. There are going to be TONS of games going and likely going to be a lot of folks looking for more people to join their games.

A few items of note:

There will be signs available for people needing additional players to set up at their table so it should be easy to identify tables that have an open seat. Or you could grab a game, grab a "players wanted" sign, and set it up while waiting for people to join in.

There are also "teacher wanted" signs as well if you want to grab a game you haven't played before and prefer to have someone teach the game vs reading a rulebook.

Lastly, I've made a Geeklist for scheduling games prior to the con, so if you had something you really wanted to play and would like to get players for ahead of time check it out! You can also see what other people are wanting to play and join their games as well! This way you could have a few set up ahead of time, and maybe make some new "con friends" in the mix! There's only a few entries on it currently, but it'll fill up quite a lot as we get closer to the actual date.

BGGCon Spring 2017 - Games Meetup List

Long story short: You'll be fine, just show up and have fun!

(Also, get yourself an avatar!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the conventions to attend alone, the Spring BGG.Con is the one to do it. Super relaxed atmosphere with tons of open gaming. As mentioned above, use those Players Wanted flags or search them out and sit in on a new game.

I know if the Fall convention there are tons of scheduled games. I've can't recall if the spring con has the same, though I'd be super surprised if it didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markaaronmassey wrote:
I know if the Fall convention there are tons of scheduled games. I've can't recall if the spring con has the same, though I'd be super surprised if it didn't.

Behold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BosonMichael wrote:
markaaronmassey wrote:

Behold!

You... I like you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryJoe wrote:
BosonMichael wrote:
markaaronmassey wrote:

Behold!

You... I like you

It's worth linking to several times. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Lawrence
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The honey badger is really pretty badass. It has no regard for any other animal whatsoever. Look at him, he's just grunting, and eating snakes. Eew! What's that? A mouse? Oh that's nasty.
badge
But look! The honey badger doesn't care! It's getting stung like a thousand times. It doesn't give a $#%^. It's just hungry. It doesn't care about being stung by bees. Nothing can stop the honey badger when it's hungry. What a crazy @&#%!
mbmbmbmbmb
purplesneaks wrote:
Sadly, not with Han Solo.

This is my first BGG con. My friend and I planned to go to BGG.Spring together, but now she may not be able to. I've already got my ticket, hotel, etc. At other cons I would have no problems finding open games, but as I've never been to any BGG event, I'm not sure how this works.

Should I try to find another friend to go with, or are there enough games going on that I can wander around and find people to play with?

I've never been to BGG Spring before but I am going for the first time this year and I am also going solo. I've been to BGG the past 8 years so spring might be similar in size to when i started going to BGG and the first year I went I didn't know anybody and I was able to find games and make friends. I don't know anyone going to Spring (although I'm sure I'll see some familiar faces) so I'm in the same situation as you. I'm sure you will have no trouble finding games, but if you'd like to meetup for a game, GM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Crow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going solo too. Have a room and looking forward to it. Perhaps we will meet in the halls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
I went solo last year and will do it again this year. Plenty of games to join. Especially with the Spieles Des Jahres games being laid out to play. You should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Fortner
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also am "Orphans and First Timers Meet up event at 5:30 Friday in Made in Texas - Central room. Good place to find others in the same boat as you.

AssassinCon is also going to be going on, a good way to meet people. Registration ends today.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1780837/play-assassincon-li...

Also, many incomplete groups. I am with a group of 3, and we usually raise a flag in case one or two want to join while we are setting up as many games are better with 4.

Good luck and see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bringing two friends- first-timers, but a lot of these games are better with 4 or 5, so feel free to PM me and we can meet up and join some games together. I think it's fun to meet and play with different folks. Last year my friend left early Sunday morning so i was on my own for a couple of days. It's nice to have a group to fall back on, especially later at night when the room isn't so packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.