Rising Sun» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: question about the metal coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the people hoping for a metal coins add-on, simply because I don't own any. CMON announced that there would be metal coins and that they would be weathered.

Crazy question: Have they stated anywhere that these coins are being custom made for the game? Many people have linked to those very cheap feng shui coins that look pretty much identical to the coins pictured on the Kickstarter page.

Again, question is probably crazy, but for $20 I expect some pretty nice coins. I can get 65 real coins for 65 cents if I want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
I was one of the people hoping for a metal coins add-on, simply because I don't own any. CMON announced that there would be metal coins and that they would be weathered.

Crazy question: Have they stated anywhere that these coins are being custom made for the game? Many people have linked to those very cheap feng shui coins that look pretty much identical to the coins pictured on the Kickstarter page.

Again, question is probably crazy, but for $20 I expect some pretty nice coins. I can get 65 real coins for 65 cents if I want to.

Despite being a backer myself, you should probably pick up 65 real coins for much cheaper. Looking at the design on the coins they are making, they are slightly different but not enough so that I'd feel the need to pay $20 for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the metal coins 'included' in the Tokaido KS, but if I didn't have access to real ¥5 coins, I'd be satisfied with the plastic ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple people have linked to real 5 yen coins on ebay, for <$20 you can get ~100 of the real thing, that may or may not be more appealing to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:

I looked at the feng shui coins and they are super thin...like 1mm thin. That's thinner than a dime.

I believe that the KS coins are 2mm in thickness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Pedrazzoli
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Could you give a Link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Pedrazzoli
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
anatana wrote:
Multiple people have linked to real 5 yen coins on ebay, for <$20 you can get ~100 of the real thing, that may or may not be more appealing to you

Could you give a link, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleWheel wrote:
Could you give a Link?

Here's the search I did on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3...

And ebay:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect thematic coins:

http://www.fantasycoin.com/Feudal-Japan-Coin-Set_c_23.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

I wonder when they will be back in stock...

EDIT: 30 coins for $17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchezja wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

As opposed to 65 for $20 off the KS. If you want normal Feng Shui coins (which appear to be kind of thin) you can get them cheaper off Ebay / amazon. If you want some thicker 'gamer' coins the KS seems to be the best value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
sanchezja wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

As opposed to 65 for $20 off the KS. If you want normal Feng Shui coins (which appear to be kind of thin) you can get them cheaper off Ebay / amazon. If you want some thicker 'gamer' coins the KS seems to be the best value.

Another option is actual 5 yen coins. You can get 100 for about $5 USD at a currency exchange.

Dimensions are 22mm diameter and 1.5mm thickness. For the price they may be "close enough".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sanchezja wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

They'll probably have some in a couple months. They fund production runs through Kickstarter, then have stock for a few months, then run another KS to make more. At least that's been the pattern so far. During KS you could get them for as low as roughly $0.33 per coin. Their latest KS should be delivering within the next few weeks, so retail should be shortly thereafter.

They might seem pricey but they're super-chunky and fantastic in hand. You can use them for any Japanese or Asian-themed (if you're not as picky) game too, so they're more generally useful than game-specific coins. And if you look around at other custom coins they're at the low end of the price spectrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
sanchezja wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

They'll probably have some in a couple months. They fund production runs through Kickstarter, then have stock for a few months, then run another KS to make more. At least that's been the pattern so far. During KS you could get them for as low as roughly $0.33 per coin. Their latest KS should be delivering within the next few weeks, so retail should be shortly thereafter.

They might seem pricey but they're super-chunky and fantastic in hand. You can use them for any Japanese or Asian-themed (if you're not as picky) game too, so they're more generally useful than game-specific coins. And if you look around at other custom coins they're at the low end of the price spectrum.

I dig fantasy coin's production quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have CMoN's most recent metal coins (Rum & Bones: ST). While they look great, the diameter/rim has a strongly defined mound line that runs around the coin. So, rather then feel like a real coin, it feels like the front and back faces were cast separately and then pressed together.

Each face is approx 1mm thick, thus the 2mm R&B coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
sanchezja wrote:

Another option is actual 5 yen coins. You can get 100 for about $5 USD at a currency exchange.

Dimensions are 22mm diameter and 1.5mm thickness. For the price they may be "close enough".

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
you can get 65 pennies for $0.65. And most of them are pretty weathered too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
sanchezja wrote:

This.

Honestly modern currency doesn't feel very thematic to me, even if it has kanji on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
I have CMoN's most recent metal coins (Rum & Bones: ST). While they look great, the diameter/rim has a strongly defined mound line that runs around the coin. So, rather then feel like a real coin, it feels like the front and back faces were cast separately and then pressed together.

This feels worth looking into. I'd be okay paying $20 for the KS coins, but less so if they carry the defect you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colintress wrote:
Geoff wrote:

This feels worth looking into. I'd be okay paying $20 for the KS coins, but less so if they carry the defect you mentioned.

I'll see if I can grab a photo for you later today or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
colintress wrote:
Geoff wrote:

I'll see if I can grab a photo for you later today or so.

No need, I understand the issue. I just mean it's worth asking CMON if the coins for RS will use a similar molding process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Interestingly the CMON coins might actually compliment this set. It looks like they feature a 1 mon coin while CMON's appear to be a 4 mon coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I live in Japan, 5 yen coins aren't cool and exotic for me. So I just ordered some cheap Chinese-style coins from Amazon. Weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colintress wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
sanchezja wrote:

This.

Honestly modern currency doesn't feel very thematic to me, even if it has kanji on it.

Japanese coins not thematic, interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
https://best-damn-coins-2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

There are also Japanese-themed gamer coins here. Still not super cheap, at $30 for 78. But that's better than the Rising Sun price and gets you a mixed set in five styles. Or if you prefer a single style, you can order that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.