United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I realize this is a long shot, but why not?

I bought my wife Escape Room for Christmas, but it has been on the shelf while other games took the fore. We cracked it open finally this weekend and started the Prison Break mission and were completely flummoxed. After feeling like real dolts, we compared our keys to the keys in the manual. We were given double the square keys and no rhombus keys so we could not enter a 2 if we wanted.

I contacted the Spinmaster customer service, who said since I bought the game more than a month ago, I could pound sand.

Is there anyone out there that needs spare square keys and/or is there anyone willing to send us the needed rhombus keys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's highly unlikely someone will have spare keys to send you via BGG.

This will be an unpopular answer but I would go buy a 2nd copy from say Wal-mart and then return the first copy with the duplicate keys back to them and let them send it back to them and get refunded.

You shouldn't have to wait this long to get this problem resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Bennetts
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
While it might sound bad, I agree with Susan. Spinmaster support is pitiful. Have you tried calling them? If you want to get REAL DIY, you can probably make them with cardstock. you would just have to know what is printed on them. But yeah, buy and return to Walmart. The game will be either sent back to Spinmaster or dumped anyway, so no one will be in the same boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:
I contacted the Spinmaster customer service, who said since I bought the game more than a month ago, I could pound sand.

Or...have a friend write to them and say "I just got this game in the mail yesterday and noticed...."

Beat them at their own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
zhiwiller wrote:

Or...have a friend write to them and say "I just got this game in the mail yesterday and noticed...."

Yeah, they wanted the receipt, so the friend thing wouldn't work.

I may try the Wal-Mart thing. But that requires going to Wal-Mart. :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:
zhiwiller wrote:

You've never doctored a receipt for this type of thing?

Wayyy easier than you think it is my friend.
I'd have zero problem doing it in this case, when you are literally just trying to get the parts that were promised in the game. GM if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a satisfactory answer, because the game company should support their customers, but...

Here is a picture of the keys:

Here is an explanation of how the keys work:

Re: Question about keys and setup

You have the dimensions of the keys (from the other samples) and the depth of the "prongs".

The squares could be modified to be Rhombuses by extending the key from the center to one edge. Cardstock (like comic book backing board) could be used along with strong adhesive and some form of fill to make it sturdy. You'd also need to clearly indicate side (since the squares are identical on both sides while the rhomboids are directional).

NOT an ideal solution, but it would get you over the hump and make the game playable.

Alternatively, return the defective game to a retailer with a nastygram inside the box and get a fresh one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Bennetts
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:

Then just to to Toys'rUs or Target...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:

WHAT!??!

I've just removed it from my wishlist - and my cart. I'll spend my money on a company who treats their customers right.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.